Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

November 11th, 2008 11:00

XPS 710 BIOS problems

I was using my computer, everything was fine. I got up, left the room, came back an hour later, everything looked like it was when I left it. The screen still had my firefox windows open and whatnot, but I went to move my mouse nothing happened. I tired to use my keyboard, nothing happened. I didn't think much about it, computers freeze sometimes, whatever. I held the front power button for 10 seconds or so and it shut down. I pressed it again to boot back up.

Normally when this machine boots up all the fans spin loudly for a second then stop. The light on the front of the case turns from amber to green, my keyboard lights up, the BIOS boot, then the OS. Pretty standard.

This time the fans spun loudly but never stopped spining. The light on the front of the case stayed amber, the keyboard never lit up, and the BIOS never booted.

On the motherboard there is an amber light in the top right corner. I looked it up and it means that the power supply is functioning but the BIOS are not booting.

I tired the online tech support and it was fairly usless, not something thats directed towards people who know about computers. It mostly consisted of suggetions like unplug your keyboard and try it. Didn't work? Ok, unplug your mouse and try it. Didn't work? Ok, unplug your...

I just skipped to the final step where I unplug everything, remove the RAM, harddrives, video card, and optical drive, then tried to boot up. Nothing changed, no surprise here.

So this leaves only the motherboard, the power supply, or the CPU

Well I happened to have a LGA775 processor around that I know works. I popped it in there and there was no change. Power supply is very unlikely to be the issue because the fans still run and there's the little amber light telling me its not the PSU.

So now we're down to just the motherboard. It could be that something is actually wrong with the board, or it could be corrupted BIOS. I'd like to think its the BIOS because if the motherboard failed it doesn't make sense that the computer kept running and the monitor kept displaying the windows enviroment as opposed to just a blank screen.

So now I ask you, where do I go from here? The machine is out of warranty. I can't reflash the BIOS from the OS because the BIOS don't boot. I don't have a floppy drive or know anyone who has one. I'd rather just replace the BIOS chip, but I doubt Dell sells preprogrammed chips (do you?). I don't even want to think about having to buy a new mobo.

Other question I have is that in the service manual online for the 710 is says there are diagnostic lights labled 1,2,3,4 on the front of the case. They light up in different sequences depnding on whats wrong. I looked but I can't find these lights. I see the lights that glow different colors at the top of the front of the case, but they don't turn on at all. The only lights I can see on the whole machine that turn on are an amber power light on the front, an amber light on the motherboard, and a green light on the cd/dvd drive.

3.4K Posts

November 11th, 2008 12:00

Clipped ...

Other question I have is that in the service manual online for the 710 is says there are diagnostic lights labeled 1,2,3,4 on the front of the case. They light up in different sequences depending on whats wrong. I looked but I can't find these lights. I see the lights that glow different colors at the top of the front of the case, but they don't turn on at all. The only lights I can see on the whole machine that turn on are an amber power light on the front, an amber light on the motherboard, and a green light on the cd/dvd drive.

Hello,

The diagnostic lights are on the front of the system as shown here.

Thinking that your problem might be a BIOS issue try this. Unplug the system, open it up and remove the motherboard battery for 15 mins and replace. While the system is open, check that all cables and cards are fully seated inside. I'm pretty sure you have this already, but the advanced troubleshooting page for your system is here.

Start the system and report back if you want.

14.4K Posts

November 11th, 2008 13:00

More than likely you motherboard is toast. This is a common issue. Try the CMOS reset either with the battery as Darrell suggests or with the jumper.

If nothing still does not happen pull all the cards out pull all the memory sticks out, disconnect the power and SATA connectors from the harddrives. See if the when you try to power  on teh system you get diagnostic lights, beeps and the fans don't stay on full power.

If nothing changes then the motherboard is bad. You only recourse is a board from Dell or possilby Ebay. The board from Dell is around  $350-$390

14.4K Posts

November 11th, 2008 13:00

More than likely you motherboard is toast. This is a common issue. Try the CMOS reset either with the battery as Darrell suggests or with the jumper.

If nothing still does not happen pull all the cards out pull all the memory sticks out, disconnect the power and SATA connectors from the harddrives. See if the when you try to power  on teh system you get diagnostic lights, beeps and the fans don't stay on full power.

If nothing changes then the motherboard is bad. You only recourse is a board from Dell or possilby Ebay. The board from Dell is around  $350-$390

3.4K Posts

November 11th, 2008 18:00

What is the default warranty for hardware failure on the XPS-710?

Hello again,

It does sound as if you have a bad motherboard. What do the diagnostics lights show as seen here.

And the basic warranty is one year unless you pay extra for a longer one.

4 Posts

I removed the battery and waited 15min. Put it back in, nothing changed. I also tried resetting the CMOS with the jumper, again, nothing happened.

Side note - When I called customer support a couple days ago they said I would have to pay extra for technical support because my warrenty had expired. Well what the warrenty for hardware failure? I've only had the computer for about 18 months. I can't imagine that a motherboard failing after such a short time is considered normal. This is clearly a manufacuring flaw.

What is the defult warrenty for hardware failure on the XPS-710?

4 Posts

I removed the battery and waited 15min. Put it back in, nothing changed. I also tried resetting the CMOS with the jumper, again, nothing happened.

Side note - When I called customer support a couple days ago they said I would have to pay extra for technical support because my warrenty had expired. Well what the warrenty for hardware failure? I've only had the computer for about 18 months. I can't imagine that a motherboard failing after such a short time is considered normal. This is clearly a manufacuring flaw.

What is the defult warrenty for hardware failure on the XPS-710?

4 Posts

November 12th, 2008 13:00

Diagnostic lights do not light up.

I tried regularlly booting as well and booting after removing all PCI cards, GPU, RAM, SATA and IDE devices. Diagnostic lights did not appear either time. Is this a possible sign of corrupted BIOS? Or does this only happen if there is motherboard failure?

3.4K Posts

November 12th, 2008 15:00

Hello again,

As before, it sounds as if your motherboard is toast.

Just a BIOS problem, and you would have diagnostics lights telling you that. Sorry

1 Message

November 15th, 2008 15:00

Exactly same thing just happened to me Can you still get720 mobo upgrade kit?

November 16th, 2008 21:00

Exact same thing happened to me...  I just got the new motherboard from dell..  talked to SEVENTEEN different tech support people on the phone about who will install it.  One tech support guy even set up an appointment for Dell technicians to come to my house and install it.  I guess he didn't know that Dell doesn't do housecalls for motherboards.  I have no idea how to do it.  I can't imagine why they wouldn't come help me fix it.  They referred me to the Geek Squad!  Horrible support!  That's like a car dealership sending you to Joe's Garage to fix their manufacturer's defect. (Yeah, I've read a lot online.  it seems there are MANY people having this same problem..right after the warranty expires)

So now I have a very expensive paperweight sitting on my desk and a motherboard I don't know how to install.  I am not a fan of Dell anymore.

6 Posts

November 16th, 2008 22:00

Pr22

Sorry to hear about your computer. I have this same model XPS710 but not that fan problem. (yet!)

Have you tried just a clean reinstall of your orignal Windows program just to find out if it really is your motherboard?

What about a diagnotic check up online at Dell? (just hide your photos if they're racey!)

(You know how computers will error but it'll be caused by something oddly related). Sounds like a power surge of some kind.  

Have you had one of the expensive kind of Dell Techs go into your computer online to help? They have some super guys there that cut to the chase and are smart and polite and fast. It's about $60 but well worth it.  When I first got this computer and things up real good with Creative Sound Blaster XFI drivers, things went downhill fast so the tech sent me an overnight single disc ('image disc' Revision to reinstall and all I had to do was get the updates at dell. 

If you don't have the original discs that came with your computer I could send you mine.

Let me know.  Good Luck!

BluesGal  ~

BTW I'm off warranty, too (as of March 07) but I couldn't take any more computer abuse. It was money well spent. 

14.4K Posts

November 17th, 2008 04:00

Exact same thing happened to me...  I just got the new motherboard from dell..  talked to SEVENTEEN different tech support people on the phone about who will install it.  One tech support guy even set up an appointment for Dell technicians to come to my house and install it.  I guess he didn't know that Dell doesn't do housecalls for motherboards.  I have no idea how to do it.  I can't imagine why they wouldn't come help me fix it.  They referred me to the Geek Squad!  Horrible support!  That's like a car dealership sending you to Joe's Garage to fix their manufacturer's defect. (Yeah, I've read a lot online.  it seems there are MANY people having this same problem..right after the warranty expires)

So now I have a very expensive paperweight sitting on my desk and a motherboard I don't know how to install.  I am not a fan of Dell anymore.

Dell will provide a tech to replace the motherboard IF you are still under your onsite warranty if not then your are on your own. Granted replacing a motherboard in these rigs is a daunting task but if  take your time and follow the instructions in your manual you can do it.

14.4K Posts

November 17th, 2008 05:00

Pr22

Sorry to hear about your computer. I have this same model XPS710 but not that fan problem. (yet!)

Have you tried just a clean reinstall of your orignal Windows program just to find out if it really is your motherboard?

What about a diagnotic check up online at Dell? (just hide your photos if they're racey!)

(You know how computers will error but it'll be caused by something oddly related). Sounds like a power surge of some kind.  

Have you had one of the expensive kind of Dell Techs go into your computer online to help? They have some super guys there that cut to the chase and are smart and polite and fast. It's about $60 but well worth it.  When I first got this computer and things up real good with Creative Sound Blaster XFI drivers, things went downhill fast so the tech sent me an overnight single disc ('image disc' Revision to reinstall and all I had to do was get the updates at dell. 

If you don't have the original discs that came with your computer I could send you mine.

Let me know.  Good Luck!

BluesGal  ~

BTW I'm off warranty, too (as of March 07) but I couldn't take any more computer abuse. It was money well spent. 

BluesGal

Sorry but most of your info in this case will not work. If the system will not post there is no way to try a Reinstall. The same for trying to run the diagnostics. A dead motherboard will not allow you to do anything.

This is definatly a dead motherboard issue. The OP can either replace it with another 710 or upgrade to a 720 board.

20 Posts

November 17th, 2008 07:00

Since the MOBO is toast, you could try a different MOBO from a different manufacturer. Especially since this MOBO has lots of posts of going dead right after the warranty is up (from another post in this thread).

You probably know the type of CPU & RAM it uses. You'll just have to figure out what type of slots it has and HDD interface to try to match up all of the components.

I had to do this with a SuperMicro board a while ago. I bought 2 identical boards and both of them were toast from the start. I now will never buy a SuperMicro MOBO ever again. I instead switched to an Intel server board that had the same specs as the SuperMicro. This time I bought 3 of them to make sure if I every have any problems with them.

It's a bit of a daunting task to find a new MOBO, but it may be a LOT less expensive that going with a Dell. Or as someone else posted, look on eBay for a replacement. You might get lucky and find one.

Regards.

November 17th, 2008 07:00

Can you tell me what instruction manual provides step by step instructions for removing a defective motherboard (XPS 710 H2C) and replacing it with a new (refurbished/purchaced from Dell) one?  I'm brave enough to try to do it myself, but I can't find a manual specific to this procedure.  I've looked all over the place!  I'd even be willing to pay dell to walk me through it while i'm on the phone with them!  what do I do? who do I call!  I need my computer to run my business! 

No Events found!