Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2007 02:00

XPS 710 H2C QUAD CORE TEMP LIMIT?

HI, does anyone know the regular temp range for a xps 710 H2C quad under normal and load level?

my system runs at 42 c normal load and then jumps upto almost 60c under load? i was under the impression that the H2C kept it running cooler? i feel like there's no big difference between air and h2c cooling?

also, i run a DMARK test on both system and my old XPS 700 got a 55721 while the H2C XPS 710 got a 43612?   isn't the higher the number the better?

help!

rraallpphh13 xps 700 airCOOLED oc  3.46  /  xps 710 H2C 3.2

Message Edited by rraallpphh13 on 04-15-2007 10:13 PM

Message Edited by rraallpphh13 on 04-15-2007 10:15 PM

903 Posts

April 16th, 2007 02:00

Here is a thread which discusses several tools to read the CPU temp and where the tools actually take the readings from.  It also talks about the ranges in temp readings.

Here is a thread which talks about another tool which can be used.

473 Posts

April 16th, 2007 13:00

rraallpphh13 wrote:
HI, does anyone know the regular temp range for a xps 710 H2C quad under normal and load level?

my system runs at 42 c normal load and then jumps upto almost 60c under load? i was under the impression that the H2C kept it running cooler? i feel like there's no big difference between air and h2c cooling?

also, i run a DMARK test on both system and my old XPS 700 got a 55721 while the H2C XPS 710 got a 43612?   isn't the higher the number the better?

help!

Hey ralph,

According to Intel, the maximum TCase temp of the QX6700 is 65C.  The processor is designed to shut down if it exceeds that temperature, and running at 60C is not a problem.   I assume you are using nTune to read your CPU temps?  If you use other programs, like Intel TAT or CoreTemp, those will read the TJunction temperature.  TCase temperature is the temperature on top of the geometric center of the CPU casing.  TJunction temperature is the temperature between the processor die and the circuit board, which is typically much higher.  I believe the max is 100C.
The Quad processors run a LOT hotter than Core2 Duos, so don't expect it to have the same temps as your 700, even with the H2C TEC unit.  The H2C is overclocked to 3.2GHz, which will run even hotter.  As long as you don't exceed 65C you will be fine.

As for 3DMark, I assume that is 3DMark05?  These tests measure CPU and GPU performance, so not knowing the specs of each of your systems its hard to tell, but yes, higher is better.  I would suggest trying 3DMark06.  A H2C Quad OCed to 3.2GHz and SLI 8800GTX should run around 15500 points out of the box in 3DMark06.

5 Posts

October 19th, 2011 14:00

My 710h2c nVidia chipset, 2x GTX 8800 SLI not enabled, factory clocked to 3.2, cpus running flat out 100% load, cruching boinc seti units (heavy math) :

Core Temp software reports temperature approaching 80C which i believe to be reliably accurate..

Intel Thermal Analysis tool reports the "digital inside the core" temperature around 95.. anything over that and the thermal throttling thing kicks in to cool it off a bit.. but i've run seti for 30 minutes and although the fan noise and heat is enough to chase you out of the basement, there doesn't seem to be any apparent problems.

The XPS 710 H2C cooling seems to manage to keep the CPU temp juuuuuuuust below the intel Thermal Monitor Threshold --- just! . I get very similar temperatures when rendering long HD movies.

The cpu fan characteristic is that doesn't even start to ramp up until Core Temp reports 70C for about 20 seconds. (intel TAT 85C) I've found the nVida "performance" software to be a bit problematic..esp in that, often, if the cpu fan rpm is maxed for a duration, the fan won't ramp back down to idle when the task is complete. Reboot is the only cure. and this hasn't changed since i've had the machine.

Also, nVidia 'performance' software seems to ramp up the fan higher, and earlier, than does not having the 'performance' software installed - also a lot of errors are produced in the event log, about not being able to read module.

For 'normal' tasks and heavier load processing, it's common to see my cpu go over 60C, rarely over 65 , but the fan doesn't ramp up and stays nice and quiet. I'm not to impressed with the nVidia driver setup tho. Due to dell modifying the bios with their tweaks, the stock nVidia drivers are quirky and some of the stuff doesn't work, or wasn't implemented, especially when it comes to software like nView, and nVidia System Monitor. That stuff has never worked stable. But the RAID ... no complaints there so far. oh yes ONE. MPG playback from the HD tends to skip occasionally, and THAT is  annoying. tried everything i could think of and i've never solved that. it's especially annoying becuase i render a lot of my own work in MPG, wo when it skips, i always have to rewind and double check it. grrrrrrrrrrrrr. anyhow, that's my little heater story to add.

CUDA rocks for doing science stuff. not much benefit to video production yet.

peace

No Events found!