Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2016 07:00

XPS 7100 Power Supply

The unit is a 2010, has ran flawlessly until last week.

Put unit to sleep, will not wake up. Power button remains amber, fans sound slow.

Power supply voltages are good except for the 12V which is 11V.

Is this low enough to not power up the system?

And if so, does dell still produce this power supply?

Thanks in advance

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 17th, 2016 14:00

ARD103

I would say, it's out of 'spec'.

A solid amber power light, indicates either a power supply, or a motherboard issue.

As a power supply cost less than a motherboard, plus you need a known working power supply, to check the motherboard, first replace the PSU to see if this makes a difference.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-7100_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-7100_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 16th, 2016 13:00

The unit is a 2010, has ran flawlessly until last week.

Put unit to sleep, will not wake up. Power button remains amber, fans sound slow.

Power supply voltages are good except for the 12V which is 11V.

Is this low enough to not power up the system?

And if so, does dell still produce this power supply?

Thanks in advance

ARD103

Is the power button light a blinking, or a solid amber?

Most generic ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power and P-2 12V 4-pin connectors, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with five SATA power connectors is needed, plus a power supply of 5.9 inches in length.

More information about replacing the Studio XPS 7100 PSU, can be found Here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19488180/20284574?rfsh=1460836155159

Bev.

6 Posts

April 16th, 2016 14:00

The light is a solid amber.

Do you think the 11V is too low and out of spec?

Thanks again

6 Posts

April 17th, 2016 15:00

Thanks Bev, I appreciate the input.

I have ordered a Corsair CX750, it will be here tomorrow.

A little more power never hurt anything did it..........

I will post the results on Monday or Tuesday

Thanks again

6 Posts

You may or may not have fixed this yet, but a "SOLID AMBER LIGHT" on the motherboard is a GOOD thing. Dell should have used green, but they used yellow.

I just replace my power supply on my XPS 720.  I was having issues with it locking up randomly, ever since I installed Windows 10.  I first replaced the memory, then hard drive, video card, motherboard, and it was still doing it.  Replaced the power supply yesterday, and it's been fine for now.  I stressed it playing graphic intense games, and it DID NOT lockup or reboot as it has done before. 

I hope it's fixed.  I basically have a new computer.

So, yes, you power supply could be the problem.  DON'T REPLACE IT WITH AN OFF THE SHELF SUPPLY.  Dell Power Supplies are proprietary, and if you hook up something else other than a Dell Power Supply, it will KILL your motherboard.

Check DISCOUNT ELECTRONICS for a unit that will work with your computer.

I sure hope a corsair will work....I will find out tomorrow.

Thanks

101 Posts

You may or may not have fixed this yet, but a "SOLID AMBER LIGHT" on the motherboard is a GOOD thing. Dell should have used green, but they used yellow.

I just replace my power supply on my XPS 720.  I was having issues with it locking up randomly, ever since I installed Windows 10.  I first replaced the memory, then hard drive, video card, motherboard, and it was still doing it.  Replaced the power supply yesterday, and it's been fine for now.  I stressed it playing graphic intense games, and it DID NOT lockup or reboot as it has done before. 

So, yes, you power supply could be the problem.  DON'T REPLACE IT WITH AN OFF THE SHELF SUPPLY.  Dell Power Supplies are proprietary, and if you hook up something else other than a Dell Power Supply, it will KILL your motherboard.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

FYI

Wrong, not all Dell power supplies are proprietary. The XPS 7100 power supply is not a proprietary unit.

The LED on the motherboard is the 'Stand By Power Light' [aka 'flea power'], indicates the motherboard has +5VFP power is reaching it and not an indication that the power supply has not failed, or has no issues.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 17th, 2016 18:00

Dell Power Supplies are proprietary, and if you hook up something else other than a Dell Power Supply, it will KILL your motherboard.

Some are proprietary, but not all, including the XPS 7100 and XPS 8500. (I used a Corsair 430M with my XPS 8500.)

Neither is the XPS 7100 chassis proprietary: I have an Asus mATX board in mine.

6 Posts

April 18th, 2016 14:00

ARD103

I would say, it's out of 'spec'.

A solid amber power light, indicates either a power supply, or a motherboard issue.

As a power supply cost less than a motherboard, plus you need a known working power supply, to check the motherboard, first replace the PSU to see if this makes a difference.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-7100_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-7100_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

Well, i put in the new Corsair 750 PSU and I have the same indications, LED indicator stays amber on the motherboard and the power light goes from dark to amber and stays there.

O well, it was worth a shot, and the 12V on the old PSU was only 11V anyway.

Do you know of any drop in replacement motherboards or should i just start from scratch with a new bare bones system?

Thanks again for your help Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 18th, 2016 16:00

Do you know of any drop in replacement motherboards or should i just start from scratch with a new bare bones system?

If you mean the XPS 7100, any mATX board should fit, but you'll have to re-jig the front panel wiring (hard drive activity LED, power switch and power LED).

At last glance, ASRock offered an mATX board compatible with your CPU and memory.

6 Posts

April 18th, 2016 16:00

ARD103

If you mean the XPS 7100, any mATX board should fit, but you'll have to re-jig the front panel wiring (hard drive activity LED, power switch and power LED).

At last glance, ASRock offered an mATX board compatible with your CPU and memory.

Yes, i have an XPS 7100 i bought in 2010.

I guess i am still not sure what failed, the MB or the CPU.

i pulled the memory and tried to power up the PC and i got no beep code at all.

Would this point to the either the MB or the CPU as being the failed unit?

i also checked the BIOS battery, still 3V.

Pulled the battery and used the jumper to reset the BIOS, installed the battery and still no go.

i am also kicking around just building a new PC for editing, watching and streaming 1080P video.

i have not built a PC for 10 or 15 years, but should be able to catch back up.

No Events found!