Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2008 17:00

XPS 720 Cannot Run On 4G of RAM

For the past five weeks I have been trying to resolve the above issue. Tech Support keeps making me take the computer apart to try various combinations with the sticks of RAM, and/or format with reinstall of the operating system. I have now taking it apart 26 times, and have reinstalled the operating system 11 times during this period. Most recently I have uninstalled Hotfix KB929777 along with Vista Home Premium SP1 update, removed three sticks of RAM, booted up, reinstalled SP1 (so that the OS will recognize over 3g of ram as it contains the 'Hotfix'), shut down, put all RAM back in place, booted up and my experiences with BSOD remain continual. All my RAM passes any Diagnostics test, in fact every component in my computer does. Every conceivable update for all components have been done. Dell has already replaced my motherboard and all memory three weeks ago. They have also had me remove the soundcard, disconnect both my optical drives, three sticks of ram (back when the problem of the fourth stick was not quite determined) and although I obviously would not get BSOD in such a case, was offered new video cards and a hard-drive! I have disabled EPP/SLI performance support in the BIOS and have reduced processor speed from bin+1 to Intel factory spec. The computer would crash continually. The computer simply will not function with four sticks of RAM, PERIOD!! Is it not reasonable that the ONLY solution available to the problem is computer replacement?

513 Posts

September 29th, 2008 18:00

This sounds similar to my recent problems with a new 730. After two weeks it would not boot past post. We replaced just about everything on it. After the third repair attempt, I contacted tech support and asked for a new machine. After a few more questions, a manager called me (while on-line during a chat session with tech support) and he approved the shipment of a replacement. It arrived via FedEx overnight last Friday. The new machine is wonderful, and the old one is being picked up by DHL - all paid for by Dell. We never tracked down what was wrong with my initial machine. I suspect either some odd grounding issue or a bad PSU. It appears that you have similar problem. My recommendation is to be polite, but firm, asking for a new machine.

September 29th, 2008 18:00

After all of that, I agree ... the logical next step is a full system replacement.

Good luck! ... keep us posted on what Dell does next.

17 Posts

September 29th, 2008 19:00

I'm really surprised they didn't try a new PSU since it could possibly be that.  Much easier to swap a new PSU than an entire motherboard.  Best of luck.  At least Dell Support has been willing to keep helping you with all of that. 

24 Posts

September 29th, 2008 23:00

I have also been having troubles i believe relating to the ram. for the last 3 days I had been on the phone with tech support trying to figure out a graphics problem. it seemed to go away when i removed 1 stick of ram. Over the next day i figured out that it needed to be reseated. so now i dont have the problem with both sticks in. Today, i load up Crysis and lo and behold, there is the graphics problem again. I reseated the ram and left my tower on its side and that seems to be working. Im not sure if its related at all to your problem but it may be a flaw in the memmory connectors on these 720 mobos

24 Posts

September 30th, 2008 00:00

yeah, i think so. i havent been in the mood to call tech support again and have them tell me its software. honestly, if this happened 2 weeks ago, id pack it up and ship it back.

btw, i have the new drivers installed and have downgraded several versions also and i still got the bad graphics. they only seem to go away after a ram reseat and leaving the case on its side. /shrug

41 Posts

September 30th, 2008 00:00

In my case the computer has worked flawlessly for a year, and the motherboard has been replaced earlier this month. I can take any three sticks of ram and seat them in any three of the four slots, and it will work fine. Adding the fourth stick into any vacant slot will give me the BSOD as often as three times within five minutes. It does not matter what I am using the computer for. I can watch the desktop and not be touching anything and it will crash at random times, many of which are prior to the screensaver even kicking in. The computer is still stock in that there have been no upgrades, and I have never had a printer or any other peripheral come in contact with it.

Your computer's symptoms sound similar but certainly sounds more of a connector issue with yours than that of mine. BTW Nvidia just put out the new video drivers.....ver178.13.... a few days ago, and I am quite impressed with them. It's a good update if you have not done so yet.

Regards.

289 Posts

September 30th, 2008 04:00

Just curious what your error message is?

41 Posts

September 30th, 2008 21:00

I had a long post submitted and it was yanked within seconds, typical Dell.
Message Edited by W. Senkow on 09-30-2008 06:00 PM

41 Posts

September 30th, 2008 22:00

Okay, for once I'll be civil. After spending an hour and a half of quality time with Tech Support last night, they will be sending me another motherboard. Thank-you Dell for your help and I will be looking forward to the next five weeks enjoying my wonderful computer.

P.S.;

Keep those surveys coming, thanks!

14.4K Posts

September 30th, 2008 22:00

you post will only get yanked if you violated the TOS. You will get a email explaining what you did and how you can correct it.

14.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2008 00:00

They ought to just send you an new system.

41 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 00:00

To bring things up to date, the new motherboard failed today as well; I knew it would. The issue is now out of my hands and between the Service Tech locally and with Tech Support Management. It seems like after six weeks that Dell has finally conceided that there is indeed an issue specific with my computer. They won't be replacing the chassis, fan(s), nor sound-card, not sure of the optical drives or processor, but they are sending out a new motherboard, memory modules, video cards, hard-drive, and power supply. This could get interesting.

41 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 23:00

After giving this whole experience some more thought I had phoned Dell and was transferred to a representative that was interested in going over this outstanding case # with me. Certainly there were some elements within this thread that I was not prepared to disclose, but the result of the call to her was a decison by Dell to manufacture for me an entirely new computer.

So in spite of any negative experiences we have and write about, Dell DOES have employees that are caring and willing to work in the customer's interest as well as their's. For that I am grateful.

Thanks to all of you who may have followed this thread and in particular those of whom have encouraged me to opt for a new system.

Warmest regards.

WS

513 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 23:00

Excellent!

I am glad you followed my suggestion and that it worked out for you. 

I, too, have found that there are plenty of Dell reps that really do want to solve whatever problem with which they are presented by a customer.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 17th, 2008 15:00

W. Senkow.

Please PM Dell-Chris M and myself if you have anything resembling the same issues on the new box, please.

No Events found!