Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2009 02:00

XPS 720 dead (won't boot, no bios...)

I have an eight months old XPS 720 that has gone dead on me.

I shut down one day and when I powered on the next day I got a black screen.

1. When I power on, fans starts to run, and lights are on but there is no signal to the monitor.

2. Having already replaced the graphics card once, I tried with another card to see if that was the problem again. It's not.

I am suspecting the motherboard is shot - both from the fact that I can't even get bios info to the monitor and that I have read about problems with XPS motherboards ...

2.8K Posts

January 14th, 2009 10:00

Havard,
According to the front quad pack diagnostics LEDs troubleshooting wizard for XPS desktops a 134 pattern means "Routine System Activity preceding video initialization." You can try stripping the system down as detailed in the rest of that wizard if you like. Odds are it's probably a motherboard problem. You might want to try replacing the CMOS battery first as odd POST and startup problems have sometimes been resolved by installing a new one. They only cost a few bucks.

133 Posts

January 14th, 2009 03:00

What does the front power light on the tower look like, and the diag lights

see manual

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

for diag light

4 Posts

Hm... I'm none the wiser.

The power light is steady green. The diagnistics lights are 1, 3 and 4 - a combination not listed in the manual.

133 Posts

This can be caused by hardware conflicting

I would

1. Flea Power (disconnect power, hold power button 15 seconds, release power button, plug in, start)

if no go:

2. ( I assume the second Video card is fine) strip the system to a single stick of memory, video card (remove all other cards and peripherals except display)

if no go:

3. try a different PSU

if No go:

replace Mobo as you say

also see The Dell troubleshooting guide for this No Post situation

4 Posts

January 19th, 2009 06:00

I went through most of the wizard, and have had some communications with Dell. The service guy was here today to replace the motherboard, but had to leave it as he had received a physically broken replacement... If all goes well it's the mobo and I get it fixed tomorrow.

January 29th, 2009 08:00

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with my machine. Did replacing the motherboard fix the problem?

4 Posts

January 30th, 2009 06:00

Hello,

Yes, it did. The technichian replaced the motherboard and now all is fine.

January 30th, 2009 07:00

Havard,

Thanks for your response. My warranty has expired but I will look into having someone replace the motherboard.

Thanks again :)

No Events found!