Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2008 17:00

XPS 730 Audio Help - Alternative Sound Card Needed?

I have been reading posts on this for days now... 

I have had the crackling sound since the day I received my computer I cannot get to the bottom of it.

The computer was also freezing during video and games. I uninstalled the X-Fi card and used the on board sound.  The freezing stopped, but the crackling is still there. I reinstalled the card and used a driver from Creative and there is no freezing using the card, but the crackling sound is still there (even with the volume muted).

I have since installed two 260 GTX video cards, 8 GB of RAM and Vista 64. There was no change in the crackling sound (with or without the sound card installed).  I tried the using 1 GTX card and the stock ATI 3850HD (my numbers may be wrong here) and there was no change. I was hoping that the clean install of Vista 64 would help, but no. 

I tried contacting Support (chat so far), but they could not do much. After an hour of unplugging monitors, trying different speakers and installing the BIOS I already had installed, the tech told me to see what else could be done and the session was ended without warning.  

Before I give up and return this computer, has anyone tried another sound card with good results?

I was hoping for more with Support.  I have had over 8 or 9 Dells computers since 1998 and never had to contact support unti now.

Thanks,

650 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 19:00

I'm using the X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro from Creative. I've not had one issue with it since installing it over a month ago. You can pick one up for $100 on eBay, that's where I purchased mine.

12 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 20:00

I have a XPS 730 and had the exact same problems as you. Following the advice of the forums,  got rid of the soundblaster card and have not had any problems since. I removed the card and the drivers. I did not enable on board sound and am inbstead using a USB audio interace. I ahve not had any problems since.

FYI, there was also a new driver release for the vid cards a few days ago and that resolved some issues I was having as well.

306 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 20:00

I also got rid of the X-Fi due to problems. Using the onboard for 6 weeks with no crackle or screech of death. Plus it sounds better.

1 Rookie

• 

139 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 21:00

Sorry, I can't recommend a different sound card to you, Swab the deck.

I guess I've been one of the fortunate people who never had a SOD with my X-fi card. I have had the intermittent crackles and pops while scrolling on webpages. However that is now gone...I updated to the latest bios three days ago...and the cracks and pops stopped completely. Call me lucky... :smileyhappy:

370 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 21:00

PH3NOM, are you running Vista, and if so, do you get the "What-You-Hear" recording option with the setup?

1.7K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 03:00

screeching XPS 720 , replaced the Dell X-FI card with an Asus sound card , no screech no crackle no hiss , ect perfect audio
No Events found!