Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

November 27th, 2009 18:00

XPS 730 H2C Updating Nvidia drivers

Greetings,

I want to update my system to display driver 195.62 and Nvidia Systems Tools with ESA Support.

OS = Windows 7 64-bit.

What I think I ought to do is first remove the 191 display driver and the previous Nvida Systems Tools.  But, when I go to the Windows 7 Uninstall option in Control panel, I am uncertain what I ought to select to uninstall.

Control panel programs are:

Nvidia Drivers (Display and Enthusiast Platform)

Nvidia Performance

Nvidia PhysX

Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D Driver

Nvidia Performance Monitor

Nvidia System Update

Have no idea . . . at this point . . . how I ought to procede?  What should I remove before installing Nvidia Display drivers and Nvidia Systems Tools with ESA Support?  As far as I can tell, and I'm pretty certain about this, Dell never installed the i790 chipset drivers to begin with.  Whenever I check for motherboard updates via the Nvidia website, the scanning tool always returns a blank.

Best,

K.

650 Posts

November 28th, 2009 03:00

Kwanah,

You don't have to uninstall the current drivers you have.  I know there are people who will tell you otherwise but to this day, I have NEVER uninstalled my old drivers before installing a new release and I have NEVER had any problems.  Install your latest release on top of what you already have and you'll be fine.

61 Posts

November 28th, 2009 07:00

Thanks PH3N0M;

I'll give your suggestion a try later today.

K.

370 Posts

November 28th, 2009 08:00

I agree with PH3NOM as far as the display drivers go, but when you try to update the ESA programs, the install will likely stop and tell you to uninstall the Performance and Update programs before continuing.  (I just did this last week.)

61 Posts

November 28th, 2009 12:00

That is precisely what happened, RChris.  Thanks.

The 195 display driver overwrote the 191 display driver without complaint.  Thus far, system seems to be very stable.  And, IE 8 has not generated a system freeze.  Knock on wood.

But, as you said it would, when I opened the System Tools with ESA Support the installer balked at each of three components, complaining each time something to the effect that an earlier version existed on the computer and must be uninstalled before the new version could be installed.  Will tackle that this evening.

Thanks guys,

K.

No Events found!