Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2008 14:00

XPS 730 - Hangs on Wake-up/ Fans at 100%

I have a XPS 730 that's about a week old.  I never turn my computer off.  I just let it go to sleep.  When trying to wake it up, about 50% of the time it wakes up successfully.  The other half of the time, the computer does not boot up (no POST), but the fans rev to 100%.  The only way to stop this is to hold down the power button or physically unplug it (and then plug it back in).  When I do this the power button continues to flash (as if it's still asleep).  Chances are when I power-on the computer again, the cycle starts over (no POST, fans to 100%).

I have no way to break this cycle except to keep turning it off, and powering it back on.  Sometimes it's the 2nd time... sometimes it's the 8th time... the computer will wakup up normally when clicking the power button (i.e., the computer will POST and then the operating system resumes).

This problem sounds very similar to this:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&message.id=72365&query.id=216301#M72365

And I've tried flashing the BIOS to 1.0.5.  I've tried the Master Control Board Reset that Chris M suggested (also in the previous thread).  And I've flashed the firmware in the Master Control Board to A03.  Although I'm not sure the Master Control Board was flashed properly because of this problem (the NVidia control panel keeps insisting my firmware version is "22"):

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&message.id=86656&query.id=207836#M86656

Any other ideas? 

I've been on the phone with support for the past couple of days but had absolutely no success.

Thanks

January 18th, 2009 14:00

If you still have the PC and want to test this, if I start the PC without the monitor turned on until POST completes, it starts OK.  I can't say this is definitive but it seems to be the case when it's been stuck. 

Would be interested to see if this is the same in your case.

10 Posts

January 19th, 2009 12:00

That worked!

I just have to remember to turn the monitor off every time I shutdown the PC.  It's a bit of a pain, and I will leave my case open with Dell, but thanks for that Chris.  Hopefully it will also help Dell get a fix to us all.

January 19th, 2009 12:00

No problems at all.  This happened to me again last night.

Chris M - any ideas?

10 Posts

January 20th, 2009 12:00

Dell Technical Support told me there is an issue with the 3-pronged power adapters (used here in Australia) and the Dell monitors.  I have a Dell 24" Ultrasharp 24008WFP.

Apparently the monitor grounds and there is too much power built up in the computer when it's left overnight, or while I'm at work all day.  This is what stops the computer from starting.  That's why when you power off the monitor before booting it works fine.

Dell have suggested, for a start, that I use the power adapter that came with the monitor - I was using the one from my old monitor.  Today when I get home from work I can let you know if this worked for me.  I put this here so that even though this might not fix my issue, others may benefit.

Regards,

Taittinger

January 20th, 2009 13:00

Morning Tattinger,

Funny you should suggest this, I'm also in Australia (in Melbourne as well :emotion-1:) but I'm pretty sure I used the new power lead on my 30" screen with the XPS and still have this issue.

Do you turn off the XPS at the wall?

CK

10 Posts

January 20th, 2009 16:00

No,I don't power anything off at the wall, the switch is way under the desk.  When I say I power off the monitor I just press the power button on the screen.  The problem comes when I shutdown the PC without turning anything else off.  I shutdown while I'm at work today, will know later this evening if the proper power cord fixed it.  By the sounds of it I shouldn't hold my breath in anticipation :-)

10 Posts

January 21st, 2009 02:00

Using the power cord that came with the monitor fixed the issue for me.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 30th, 2009 05:00

What are your powersave options?

10 Posts

January 30th, 2009 05:00

By power saving options, I assume you mean: Control Panel -> Power Options -> "Select a power plan"...

For which I have selected: High Performance:

Turn off the display: 3 hours

Sleep: Never

Forgive my ignorance, but is that what you meant Chris?

Also: It has not totally fixed the issue.  It only starts properly about half the time.  Half the time I get the fans go crazy, lights come on...but nobody home.  To fix I have to hold the power button down for a while, let it power off, then press the power button on again for it to come to life.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 30th, 2009 06:00

Different video card, different computers, same monitors.

Can you take those monitors, that video card and use them on a non-Dell PC with the same power management option to see if the issue remains.

10 Posts

January 30th, 2009 16:00

Unfortuantely I can't fit the sound cards in my old PC.  I don't think I have anything suitable at work either.

February 5th, 2009 11:00

I think this issue/thread needs to be closed now. Solution is already out and pretty easy to figure out. Before turing on the computer, simply turn off the monitor. Then turn it on a few seconds later. It doesn't matter how long you leave your monitor on after turning off the computer.

Case dismissed.

February 5th, 2009 11:00

I have been following the XPS startup story with interest as my 4 month old xps 730  as had the same problem.  I have updated the BIOS, had a new motherboard and hard drive installed.  Dumped Vista and had clean reinstall of XP on the new hard drive, and still the startup issue continued.  No one at Dell tech could figure out the issue and it started to get worse.  I finally read one thread that said to try booting up before turning on your monitor or other periperals. I have been doing this for a week now with out a single freeze.  Ihave fingers crossed this is a simple solution to a confusing issue.  Has anyone else tried this and have you had success?  Good luck, still hoping for another BIOS update though.

February 19th, 2009 13:00

Q: do you mean that later when you do not turn off the monitor first will it work again
A: nope. Later you will again have to turn off the monitor first before turning on the machine. It's a problem, but it's a silly one to waste time worrying about. We XPS owners bought an XPS basically to run resource-intensive games and applications and we rarely turn off our systems.

9 Posts

February 19th, 2009 13:00

So the solution is that simple? I have been having this problem since I got my new Dell Ultrasharp 2208WFP monitor: after the monitor and the computer go to sleep, they go into a coma and will not wake up unless, as many posters do, holding down the power button for a few seconds. Of course that starts a reboot with Vista asking if you want a safe mode or normal mode. It's been annoying, especially to my wife, who is not very good at computers. I did not have this problem when I had my old View Sonic 22" CRT (only problem with it is that it is too heavy and taking up a lot of space). I got my 2208WFP on 1/23/2009 and I have not called Dell support yet and instead I come here for support first. I have read a post from Dell-Chris and she/he said they duplicated the problem with the ATI video card (the card has a problem). I have the ASUS ATI chipet EAH4350 series, so after reading Chris' post, I went to ASUS web site and they have an update that they just posted on 2/16/2009 (I bought my card on 12/22/2008, Intel DG43NB MB, Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 GHz, 4g Super Talent mem). I installed the new ATI updates but I still have the coma problem. Chris also said the nVidia video card does not have any problem. I was going to buy a nVidia card today but thought I'd check the posts before I buy it. Then I found that many who posted here also have the nVidia cards.

I will try what has been suggested her tonight and see if that solves the problem. Now, when you say that turning off the monitor before turning on the machine will work, do you mean that later when you do not turn off the monitor first will it work again? If not, is it really the ATI card problem?

Thanks.

Ben

No Events found!