Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

54 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 10:00

As this is the 4th 730 series I have received which would not function when delivered, I am not sure what I am going to do at this point.  Dell is supposedly working on a solution with their Global Escalation Management Team, yet I have yet to get to the final outcome of this seemingly never ending problem.  At this point I just want them to make a computer that works when delivered, as I have been dealing with all of this since September.Glofinitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Garamond; panose-1:2 2 4 4 3 3 1 1 8 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-link:"Plain Text Char"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.5pt; font-family:"Garamond","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} span.PlainTextChar {mso-style-name:"Plain Text Char"; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-locked:yes; mso-style-link:"Plain Text"; mso-ansi-font-size:14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.5pt; font-family:"Garamond","serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Garamond; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family:Garamond;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

54 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 10:00

As this is the 4th 730 series I have received which would not function when delivered, I am not sure what I am going to do at this point.  Dell is supposedly working on a solution with their Global Escalation Management Team, yet I have yet to get to the final outcome of this seemingly never ending problem.  At this point I just want them to make a computer that works when delivered, as I have been dealing with all of this since September.

38 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 15:00

I hope things work out for the best for you. Please keep us updated.

I finally received a ship date on mine. It shipped out today and should arrive early next week.

December 3rd, 2008 19:00

I know you're probably not in the mood to entertain this request, but if you have a moment while you're digging around in there reseating cables and such, could you tell us what type of motherboard is in there since the DELL reps can't tell us?

The closest in layout that I've been able to find is the Foxconn Bloodrage http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000430 and I'm wondering if it's a custom version of it.... which would be nice, because it says it still supports 12GB of RAM over the 3 slots.

Hope your troubles go away soon. 

I don't understand how you got yours so fast.  I also ordered mine on 11-20 (one day before you) and my estimated ship date is Jan 12th.  Which is a completely ridiculous lead time.  Especially when you ordered yours one day later and received it (albeit dead) .. what... 12 days later... which was really only about 7 work days depending on how you count it.

GOOD LUCK!

38 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 20:00

I know you're probably not in the mood to entertain this request, but if you have a moment while you're digging around in there reseating cables and such, could you tell us what type of motherboard is in there since the DELL reps can't tell us?

The closest in layout that I've been able to find is the Foxconn Bloodrage http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000430 and I'm wondering if it's a custom version of it.... which would be nice, because it says it still supports 12GB of RAM over the 3 slots.

Hope your troubles go away soon. 

I don't understand how you got yours so fast.  I also ordered mine on 11-20 (one day before you) and my estimated ship date is Jan 12th.  Which is a completely ridiculous lead time.  Especially when you ordered yours one day later and received it (albeit dead) .. what... 12 days later... which was really only about 7 work days depending on how you count it.

GOOD LUCK!

Dont worry about the ship date. You and I ordered on the exact same day and had the exact same ship date of Jan 12. I just logged on and saw that mine shipped today. I suspect yours will ship in the next day if it hasnt already.

December 3rd, 2008 20:00

Dont worry about the ship date. You and I ordered on the exact same day and had the exact same ship date of Jan 12. I just logged on and saw that mine shipped today. I suspect yours will ship in the next day if it hasnt already.

Thanks for the heads up.  I just checked, but mine still shows 1/12.  Hopefully that changes in the next day or so.  I wish it was showing up tomorrow, though... I have next week off........ would be sweet to actually have a week to tinker with it.  Especially if it needs some work to get functioning like that other guy's.

54 Posts

December 4th, 2008 07:00

Why would Dell pick a moutherboard that only as three Dimm slots for a computer such as the XPS 730X?  If you look at all of the other Core 17 machines that our out there, they almost all have the ability to ave 12G over 6 slots.  Although it seems that this motherboard will handle 12G of memory, you will have to pay for the 4G Dimms which are now $700+ for 4Gx2.

December 4th, 2008 14:00

While I doubt the Dell rep can answer why their mobo only has 3 slots (I am curious too... don't get me wrong), maybe Mr. Dell rep can tell me why my order placed on 11/20 didn't ship at the same time as the other guy's whos shipped yesterday?  I thought maybe today I'd get an update, but the business day is getting pretty close to over and I haven't heard anything.

I'm not trying to be impatient... I had come to terms with having to wait until 1/12/09 for it to ship.  But now that I know other people have had theirs ship that have ordered at the same time or AFTER me... it's starting to bother me.

And then maybe one of you guys that have gotten yours already can tell us what kind of mobo is in there.  :-)

3 Posts

December 4th, 2008 15:00

My 730X was shipped today, ordered on 11/26..  there is hope

December 4th, 2008 16:00

You guys are making me even more depressed.

You ordered yours 6 days after me and yours already shipped?

Dell... seriously... what did I do?

54 Posts

December 4th, 2008 18:00

Do you think I can replace my motherboard at a later date to accomindate the 12G of RAM via 6 slots?

64 Posts

December 4th, 2008 19:00

Chris I cant find any information on the Corsair Dominator CM3X1024-1800C8D? I'm getting 3GB of ram in

my 730x and I wanted to look into the higher performance ram  and or higher performing stock ram.

I found only this for stock ram:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Memory_Upgrades/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=biz&cs=555&sku=A2296386

I talked to Corsair and they gave me this model number ram:

TR3X6G1600C8D

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TR3X6G1600C8D.pdf

Please Advise....

38 Posts

December 4th, 2008 21:00

You guys are making me even more depressed.

You ordered yours 6 days after me and yours already shipped?

Dell... seriously... what did I do?

What was your configuration? Did you choose an option that may have delayed the order? Perhaps a different case color?

December 4th, 2008 21:00

Standard case, the "slowest" i7, 6GB ram, 500GB primary drive, 750GB secondary, GeForce GTX280 1024MB video, DVD burner, Soundblaster X-Fi card, no monitor, no speakers. the standard 64bit Vista.

Nothing special as far as I know.  When I was building it, it told me the est ship date would be 12/22.  As soon as the "confirmation of order" email came through it said 1/12/09.  Only thing I can think of is the vid card, but I thought that one was readily available.

December 4th, 2008 22:00

Hello Chris,

I don't know why anyone would need 6GB of ram I think it's over kill and system would not recognized it, would be a waste of money! 3GB of Ram is efficient and enough for today’s systems! When buying a new computer look for better sound cards, hard drive space, and video memory spend more money on these features before memory upgrades, if you don't seem like you have enough memory and system freezes on pages than get an extra 1GB of memory! I am running on 2GB of memory it's more than enough for me!

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Michael

No Events found!