Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

149 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 15:00

I'm considering an xps 730x and was wondering if there is any advantage other than looks to the cut out side panel?  I'm also wondering if the cooling system used on the over clocked systems can be added to a regular 730x at a later time?  Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 16:00

mastin,

Please go into the bios and record your settings. Then, reset it to Factory Defaults and compare the original settings with the new Factory Default settings. Make sure the hard disk drive settings and Integrated device settings are back to the original to ensure you can reboot normally. Any other differences? Check Left4Dead using the Factory Default settings.

30 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 17:00

Unfortunately resetting bios to default didn't change any setting. That was a very practical suggestion though! Thank you Chris!

I'm thinking that either:

a) The liquid cooling and fan are somewhat under engineered for the I7 940 CPU. If this is the case, others must be seeing their CPU pump and front CPU fan increase to 4000rpms when under load.

b) The XPS Thermal Monitor and/or bios need to be tweaked for this new chip (the mother board bios is 1.0.0.). As above, if this is the case, others would be seeing the same pump and fan increases I am.

c) I have a bad thermal sensor. In this case others would not be experiencing the same phenomena.

d) I have a bad CPU, cooling installation, or cooling system. In this case others would not be experiencing the same phenomena.

Any other ideas? If I could just find one user out there with a similar system it would help so much to know if I am alone!

Thanks!

January 23rd, 2009 00:00

I Chris M, I'm Marco Podrini an Italian user, i bought an xps 730x i7965 H2C, and i'have the same problem, thech support is not able to help me, and my pc reboot randomly, indipendent of cpu usage, so i try to change v core overvoltage from 120 to 140 but the problem incresh, with 120 the pc reboot 2 time a day, with 140 reboot 10time a day! My personal opinion is that the problem in link to the thermal monotor application!! PLESE HELP DELL CUSTOMER. sorry for my english! Thanks in advanced Marco Podrini ITALY

January 23rd, 2009 02:00

I tried to disable the "Thermal monitor application" and the system seems to be stable also with 120mv Vcore. I think that the problem of the "random reboot" could be inside this application. It is possible that the thermal monitor was implemented for Old 730 and is not so compatible with the 730X model? I suggest DELL engineers to try to disable this application and test the PC, because i think that the problem is not in the use of the cpu. I made 40 hours of rendering in maxwell render with the cpu at 100% and no Reboot.

January 23rd, 2009 06:00

Hi mastin, i have no problem with system fan, even when i disable thermal monitor, the fun work fine, i test it on a 4 hour rendering with all cpu core at 100% and no loud, 

but if lunch thermal monitor for 10 minute open in desktop the system reboot, reboot, reboot (120mv or 140mv) 

30 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 06:00

Hi Marcopodrini, it's great to hear that disabling the thermal monitor application may have stabilized your system!
My system does not experience the random reboot phenomena, so I'm happy about that.

Does your front CPU fan and CPU pump increase to 4100rpm when the CPU is under load?

Even when I disable the thermal monitor application my system does increase the front CPU fan and CPU pump to 4100rpm when under load and it's pretty loud.

I too hope an update to the thermal monitor application or motherboard bios may resolve problems, especially mine :).
Otherwise, I'll just have to learn to live with it.  Most folks that hear my system say things like "it must be broken", "you should call Dell", or "that would drive me batblank crazy".

30 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 07:00

Hi Marcopodrini,
Thanks so much for your kind reply! You've given me hope.

30 Posts

Hi mikebeatrice,
You may wish to report your CPU type so other will know exactly what you're running. I have an I7 940 with liquid cooling.
On my system the CPU pump and the front CPU fan are still dynamically controlled even with the thermal monitor disabled.
Also, worst case scenario your CPU is designed to shut itself down when maximum operating temperature is exceeded (called tjmax).
My inexpert advice would be to give it a try, especially considering the CPU fan and CPU pump are still operating dynamically with the monitor disabled.

Does the thermal monitor have any control over the fan speed modulation?  Or is it just reporting back the current temps and speeds and allow you to manually override?

I'm just wondering if the fans are still dynamic when disabling the monitor.

My system arrived on Dec 22nd and has worked flawlessly.... until this week.  Now I'm getting the random reboots.  I do a lot of video editing, so this is obviously unacceptable, as I could be in the middle of working or capturing from DV, etc, and have it crash on me.... not good.  So I'm thinking I'll try disabling the thermal monitor, but I don't want things to start overheating while I'm loading up the proc doing all the video rendering.

Thanks!

January 23rd, 2009 10:00

So I put my order in today.

You guys who have already got your systems: how long did it take for the computer to arrive once Dell had actually shipped it? I'm going to have to book a day off from work for this, so it's important I have a general idea ahead of time. This is ground shipping, by the way. And I'm in Vancouver, Canada.

Thanks.

52 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 11:00

This is what I was told today by Dell:

Thank you for the information.   While I can appreciate the concern, I know of no "known issue" with this system. Had there been one, Dell would have taken whatever steps were necessary to rectify the situation. While message boards and forums can provide valuable tips and information, those identifying "known issues" are, more often than not, basing their information on hearsay or opinion and not facts.

We carefully monitor all systems for any pattern of repairs which may indicate a possible issue. If one is suspected, further investigation is done by trained personnel, including engineers who, if necessary, can recommend remedial or proactive action. This has not occurred.

30 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 13:00

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

BTW, I think my topic is going to be followed up on via a thread titled:

"XPS 730X Thermal Issues"
Please let me know if you have an XPS 730X with I7 940 CPU.
I'd be so happy to know if you experience 4000rpm front CPU fan speeds when your CPU is under load.

Thanks!

52 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 14:00

I have the 965 cpu

38 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 15:00

I have the i7-965 and have uninstalled the thermal monitor and i have had no isseus at all

i have played games and everything else

No Events found!