Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

50 Posts

April 9th, 2009 20:00

PH3N0M this thread talks about others who do not have the XMP bios option and there is mention of a bios 1.01  http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19247444/19419899.aspx#19419899

this second link actually has someone saying they received their XPS 730x with bios version 1.01 installed http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19247444/19419899.aspx?PageIndex=10

XPS 730x H2C
i7 965 Extreme CPU overclocked to 4050 GHz
SLi, Dual nVidia GeForce GTX280 1024MB
Core clock-702MHz,shader clock-1404MHz,memory-1242MHz
6GB Multi-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM) running at 1118MHZ 7-7-7-20-C1
RAID 0 2x300GB(600GB) WD Velociraptor 10K 16MB Cache
Dell 19 in 1 Media Reader withBluetooth 2.0
Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 64-bit Ultimate (English)
Dual Drives: 6x Blu-Ray Burner(BD/DVD/CD) + 16x DVD-ROM
X-Fi Titanium Audio Card
Dell CPU Liquid/TEC Cooling ATX Unit
1 Kilowatt power supply
Dell 2408WFP monitor

10 Posts

April 9th, 2009 20:00

The CPU is running at 2.93mhz. Basically I reset everything to default as I can't change the multiplier. I changed everything as it was on your screenies, the non-turbo multiplier is locked on my machine for some reason. Everything is adjustable but that, and yes I disabled turbo mode and it doesnt matter. Maybe this is to prevent overclocking and you got lucky on your system. The machine runs great and fast, its just a bummer that the normal RAM adjustment isnt supported on these lower machines. Or if it is, we havent figured it out yet. Adjusting the voltage and timings should OC the RAM, period. Something isnt supported or set right in this BIOS. The 965 machines I have noticed have listed under the shipping slips and on the descriptions on the outlet under software upgrade "BIN + 1 Overclock". Maybe this is why the 965 guys arent having problems adjusting their RAM the proper way and you have had to resort to adjust the BClk really high, and 200 is a high clock for the FSB equivalent on these chips. Some people are having trouble getting up to 190 on some OC forums and have to play with the multiplier to get the OC they are after. Regardless, I am glad you got the machine running the way you were after, and thanks for the info and help, it just seems that my machine wont clock with that technique for some reason, and I might end up returning it and just get a 965 model to avoid all this hulabaloo.

650 Posts

April 9th, 2009 21:00

Basically I reset everything to default as I can't change the multiplier.

It's odd that you can't change your multiplier, when there are a couple of others in this thread who can. Maybe it's something to do with the Core i7 940 cpu? I don't know but my 920 and the guys with the 965 have their multipliers unlocked. I've also been keeping a close eye on my voltages and temps and they're within spec.

650 Posts

I seriously doubt my next gaming rig will be purchased from Dell.

That's probably the smartest thing you've said, and the smartest idea. I picked up my 730x on eBay for $1200 with a full year left on the warranty. If I hadn't got it at such a great price, I wouldn't have even considered getting the 730x. I love the way it looks, the case and the lighting. It's unfortunate that Dell doesn't pay more attention or just doesn't seem to care about these kinds of issues with the bios and whatnot. If I begin having problems with my bios, I'll trash this Foxconn board and purchase an Asus or eVGA X58 which supports up to 24gb of memory and has excellent tech support.

10 Posts

I know it is odd, but this processor isnt even offered on the 730x page anymore. I'm wondering if this is why they are popping up on the outlet. What kills me is the system I ordered had a 965 and when I received it I got a 940. While it was an outlet deal and priced cheaper, and Dell's mistake, my options were have a coupon and keep the 940, or return the system and receive a credit to purchase a new one. Problem is, all the systems when I received this option were priced at 2200 or more, so I opted to keep the 940 as I was told it was supported for overclocking. If I knew then what I know now I would have sent it back and just built my own.

10 Posts

April 9th, 2009 23:00

lol wow...im glad you quoted that, seems like they removed that post completely! And all I was trying to do was let everyone know what I found out from tech support...that speaks volumes.

650 Posts

April 9th, 2009 23:00

seems like they removed that post completely! And all I was trying to do was let everyone know what I found out from tech support...that speaks volumes.

Exactly. This happens on a regular basis. They don't like negativity being spread about and instead of doing something to prevent the negativity, they hire moderators to remove the complaints. It's part of the reason why Dell stock is selling for less than $11 per share. Well, I shouldn't say that it's selling. Anyone in their right mind who knows how shoddy the customer service is, wouldn't ever purchase Dell stock and anyone who knows how ridiculously overpriced the Dell merchandise is would never purchase Dell stock. I won't be surprised if they delete this post along with the one where I quoted what you said. 

30 Posts

April 10th, 2009 03:00

Hey guys and girls,

I completely understand your frustration and spurts of anger; I had a few posts also removed.  When Dell removed my posts, I protested in similar fashion as you, Chris M, stated that this thread was for working together and figuring out problems, not for insinuations of anger.  When he said that, I thought he was just supporting Dell because he worked for Dell, and to some degree that is true.  After reading the last thirty posts, I realized that Chris M was absolutely right to censor and remind us that this thread is for solving not slamming.  Daniel730x... PH3NOM, and others did more problem solving in the last thirty posts, than all the prior posts combined. 

My experience with Dell tech support was horrendous, my first 45 days of owning a XPS 730x i7 940 damaged my personality.  I had to spend a few nights on the couch because my wife did not want a raving maniac anywhere near her.  Those posts were removed.  Ultimately, when I got my system up and running, I discovered that the XPS 730x is by far the most powerful and fast system that I ever dreamed to use.  Did any of us imagine these systems in our homes ten years ago?  Now if my wife sends me to the couch for the night, I got Miss 730x to console my loneness.  I am able to do work today that only super computers ten years ago did; these Dell XPS 730x's are amazing computers.

Hang in there people, once you get your systems tweaked you will be quite pleased.  Talk directly to your technical issues -- to those techno minds that monitor this thread, they will research and find a solution if you give them the data they need to work with.  I think for them it is like playing chess, the challenge - the challenge; and I bet good practice for high end gaming.  Smart minds need constant things to research and decipher; give them your technical issues, they like it.

Addressing the psychological issues of owning 'presently' a home super computer:  I think our problems are ego-eccentric; we who buy these very high-end computers are emotional and financially involved with them; consequently, many of us have jealous spouses.  When things do not work, we get emotional, screaming "I get you and your pet mouse too" raging mad.  After the intensity storm, most end up resorting to explaining their technical issues in detail, and solutions follow.  Dell needs to understand our psychology; some of us are emotionally wired into our computers; an artificial organ extending the confines of our minds.  We are more than just people, we are XPS 730x owners, and we want to be taken seriously.  We want more wires.

Mark Maloney

50 Posts

April 10th, 2009 07:00

What you have said may all be true but some of us can't get simple questions answered such as to "why i do not have "XMP SUPPORT" available as an option in my bios setting under CPU/Voltage. It shouldn't be that tough to get an answer. I will ask again that you look into this for me Chris.

XPS 730x H2C
X-Fi Titanium Audio Card
1 Kilowatt power supply
Dell 2408WFP monitor

650 Posts

April 10th, 2009 08:00

What you have said may all be true but some of us can't get simple questions answered such as to "why i do not have "XMP SUPPORT" available as an option in my bios setting under CPU/Voltage. It shouldn't be that tough to get an answer. I will ask again that you look into this for me Chris.

And, what I would like to know is how your memory is running at 1118mhz without overclocking when mine won't. Without increasing my voltages, my DDR3-1600 memory runs at 1066mhz. :emotion-12:  I changed all of my settings back to default because although everything was running just fine, if something goes wrong, Dell will try to pin the problem on me saying it was caused by the adjustments I made in the bios. As for XMP Support, I wouldn't be too concerned. I have the option in my bios but it's about as useless as a one legged man in a street fight. It doesn't do anything by way of performance. It's like turning on a light switch that isn't connected to the power grid.

According to Wikipedia, this is what it says about XMP (Extreme Memory Profile).

Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) is a memory technology developed by Intel and manufactured by Corsair[1] to compete with Nvidia's SLI Memory and Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP).

XMP simplifies memory overclocking by providing preset "profiles," such as "Low Latency" or "High Frequency." This removes the guesswork involved in overclocking by automatically defining timings, frequency and voltage for the end user. However, expert users can still manually adjust these settings. Also, XMP uses a "fail-safe default boot" feature, adjusting all values to JEDEC standard on boot, in case of instability caused by over-aggressive settings.

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

April 10th, 2009 10:00

XMP uses a "fail-safe default boot" feature. This sounds like it could have something to do with the reboots. But what do I know. I'm still waiting for my 730x which has been delayed again until the 23rd. But hey, if it delayed because of some fixes needed, it's ok.

50 Posts

April 10th, 2009 14:00

[quote user="garyehr"]What you have said may all be true but some of us can't get simple questions answered such as to "why i do not have "XMP SUPPORT" available as an option in my bios setting under CPU/Voltage. It shouldn't be that tough to get an answer. I will ask again that you look into this for me Chris.

And, what I would like to know is how your memory is running at 1118mhz without overclocking when mine won't. Without increasing my voltages, my DDR3-1600 memory runs at 1066mhz. :emotion-12:  I changed all of my settings back to default because although everything was running just fine, if something goes wrong, Dell will try to pin the problem on me saying it was caused by the adjustments I made in the bios. As for XMP Support, I wouldn't be too concerned. I have the option in my bios but it's about as useless as a one legged man in a street fight. It doesn't do anything by way of performance. It's like turning on a light switch that isn't connected to the power grid.

According to Wikipedia, this is what it says about XMP (Extreme Memory Profile).

Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) is a memory technology developed by Intel and manufactured by Corsair[1] to compete with Nvidia's SLI Memory and Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP).

XMP simplifies memory overclocking by providing preset "profiles," such as "Low Latency" or "High Frequency." This removes the guesswork involved in overclocking by automatically defining timings, frequency and voltage for the end user. However, expert users can still manually adjust these settings. Also, XMP uses a "fail-safe default boot" feature, adjusting all values to JEDEC standard on boot, in case of instability caused by over-aggressive settings.

[/quote]

I never said i wasn't overclocking all i did to get the memory settings i have is to raise the FSB from 133 to 139 and change the turbo Multiplier from 28 to 29. I also tightened the settings on the memroy from CL2 to CL1. I also change the memory voltage from Auto to 1.60. all this gave me an overclock of 4050MHz.. The machine is very stable and has passed every stress test i have run from Occt to Intel Burn test. As far as XMP Support is concerned i know what it is and what it does, my concern is that it should be available in my bios as a setting and it is not. Nobody seems to be able to give me a reson why either. I have even re-flashed my bios with version 1.0 and it still doesn't show up. All i want is an explanation!! With my current setting i am able to get a high vantage score of 27,004

XPS 730x H2C
X-Fi Titanium Audio Card
1 Kilowatt power supply
Dell 2408WFP monitor

650 Posts

April 10th, 2009 15:00

Something else I would like someone to answer is WHY does the memory controller AUTOMATICALLY change the Memory Ratio from 12 to 8????? What's the point of being able to change it if the memory controller is going to automatically CHANGE it every single time. If it, the MEMORY CONTROLLER, was working right and would STOP tampering with the ratio, my ram would be running at 1600mhz without needing to adjust my BClk. Right now, my BClk is at 133 and if it were being multiplied by 12, (133 x 12 = 1596mhz).  BUT, that's not the case. No matter how many times I RESET the memory ratio, the memory CONTROLLER changes it back to 8.

72 Posts

April 11th, 2009 19:00

Something else I would like someone to answer is WHY does the memory controller AUTOMATICALLY change the Memory Ratio from 12 to 8????? What's the point of being able to change it if the memory controller is going to automatically CHANGE it every single time. If it, the MEMORY CONTROLLER, was working right and would STOP tampering with the ratio, my ram would be running at 1600mhz without needing to adjust my BClk. Right now, my BClk is at 133 and if it were being multiplied by 12, (133 x 12 = 1596mhz).  BUT, that's not the case. No matter how many times I RESET the memory ratio, the memory CONTROLLER changes it back to 8.

PH3N0M, I think only the 965 will allow you to change/adjust the memory ratio, the lower 920s & 940s have a 'set' memory ratio that cannot be changed.

By the way, I don't have 'XMP Support' in my BIOS.   I don't know how important is it, since I have my memory set to specs (1600 MHz).

24 Posts

April 12th, 2009 05:00

Hopefully the long build time isn't a sign of bad news, but I ordered mine on April 8th and the estimated delivery is the 22nd which seems like a pretty long time compared to my last XPS.  I just hope this doesn't mean more issues have cropped up.

No Events found!