Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

2 Posts

June 10th, 2009 08:00

Below are the photos for the 730x LED problem. As you can see the LEDs are not providing solid colors for the intake bays.  The LEDs provide solid colors at all other locations (drive bay, rear and internal).

White (Exchange Unit on Left)

White

Green

Purple

Orange

Red

313 Posts

June 10th, 2009 10:00

Same for me!

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

^^same for me^^

16 Posts

Hi All,

Haven't posted in a while but I too have this and had it since original 730x arrived last December.  I've had the machine replaced by Dell already after much work and two technicians.  Unfortunately, my new 730x has the red tint in all colors as well.  To be honest with you guys, I believe the voltages on the control board were manufactured wrong, as I never saw this on the 720/730 series where the colors were managed by the Nvidia motherboard.  When I spoke with a guy from Hyderabad in India who was researching my problem, he agreed it probably is a problem with voltages, but it's hard to change this in the middle of a production run now.  It's good Chris is going to forward this, as I think the problem has existed since the 730x was introduced and hopefully this will be addressed in future generations.  It took a while, because in the beginning no one knew what I meant and thought I was crazy about this. 

Regards,

Wayne

30 Posts

I have the same problem. You can see my post from Feb here http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19242760/19424392.aspx#19424392

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

All,

I will send this up the line, but, this has only been reported here by you guys. No where else on the internet is anyone discussing it.

18 Posts

June 11th, 2009 01:00

Same issue here, from day one mine has also had the red tint

5 Posts

June 11th, 2009 05:00

Same here also, didn't really notice until you guys pointed it out.  Its really apparent when you set the lights to white or purple. 

15 Posts

June 11th, 2009 09:00

My system is this way too - I never really noticed it until now. I keep my system lights on the red setting, but upon cycling through the other colors it's definitely reddish all over. I just figured that there are little clusters of red, green and blue LEDs in there and the red ones were slightly brighter. Doesn't bother me at all, but I just thought I'd contribute.

54 Posts

June 11th, 2009 09:00

Same LED issue.

June 11th, 2009 20:00

All,

I will send this up the line, but, this has only been reported here by you guys. No where else on the internet is anyone discussing it.

Probably because it's not a big issue, hence not worth reporting.  What is worth reporting, though, is how overclocked 730x's with raised BCLK's won't resume from sleep properly, and that there is definitely something odd going on with the USB ports on the 730x.  (Agonizingly long POST times that are proportional to the number of USB devices that are plugged in, and a hung POST when the Dell Mutlimedia keyboard w/2 USB ports is plugged into an HP monitor with 4 USB ports which is plugged into the 730x).  Didn't have any of those issues with my XPS 720.

How about sending this up the line?  I'd sure like to save energy and use sleep mode again.

53 Posts

June 11th, 2009 22:00

Yes I also have problems with the computer coming out of sleep mode.  The computer will just hang and the screen won't come back on.  The computer will re-awake but the monitor wont.  I have tried everything.  Definetly must be a problem with the USB ports.

I just use hibernate all the time now.

9 Posts

June 13th, 2009 14:00

Haha, mine also have this tint issue but does not bother me too much as colour i normally choose blue thus can cover the little tint

Guys, I jus added a LG dvd burner....but there is this prob of the "stealth door lid" unable to close after opening...it just stay there even after the tray of the burner is in.

I opened up the casing told out the whole face plate to check, the "stealth door lid" isnt spoil, only act up when is fixed in....

Any peers with this prob too? Any solutions other then removing and not using the LG burner?

Thanks for helping :)

3 Posts

June 17th, 2009 00:00

I had exactly the same problem with Bios 1.0.2. Namely getting BSOD with stop error 124 everytime the computer wakes up from sleep. I have been getting this error with both Windows Vist 64bit and Windows 7 RC 64bit. One of those days I decided to see if this is caused by any of the HW components so I started by removing the sound card (creative XFi). Once I did that, it worked fine i.e. the computer wakes up from sleep fine with Bios 1.0.2 I tried a different sound card (also creative SB XFi Xtreme Music) and got exactly the same problem, i.e. BSOD with stop error 124 when using BIOS 1.0.2 Everything works fine with bios 1.0.0

Regards ---- Ayman

13 Posts

June 18th, 2009 10:00

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried running the Intel Burn Test application on their system? My 730x with 965EE, even when not overclocked, fails the burn test after about 7-8 iterations (maximum stress, 8 threads running).

I tried different memory and it still fails. I checked core temps with CoreTemp while it is running and the cores only reach about 62C. I even tried forcing the fans to run at 100% and that didn't help. I ran the same Intel Burn Test app on my Dual Xeon Precision 690 workstation for hours without failing. I would love to move from my 690 to the 730x system but I'm not 100% convinced it will be reliable. Any suggestions on what the problem might be? (Bad CPU, bad motherboard, power supply, memory (despite trying two different sets of memory)?)

If anyone else could give this app a try on their system here is one place to download it:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBurnTest-v2.1_d2047.html

-Ray

No Events found!