Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

December 18th, 2008 07:00

XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

Hello,

I have a XPS 730x H2C and I it will lose power (reboot) at seemingly random times.  There are no errors reported in “event viewer” and no "blue or red screens" are generated (it just power resets) and I’m at a loss on how to diagnose this problem.   I have checked the temperatures via the Dell thermal application and they seem to run from about 70 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit.  I have also made sure all the drivers are the latest versions.

I resorted to reinstalling the OS (Vista 64 bit) and it seemed better but last night started re-booting on its own again.  It may be a particular software install (e.g. virus scanner?) as I’m slowly adding software back on it but I have not put my finger on it yet.  Is any one else having this problem or have ideas on how to figure out the problem?

Below  are the machine specs:

XPS 730X H2C - Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme - Level 2 (Factory O/C'd to 3.73GHz)
RAM - 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
Video - ATI Radeon HD4870X2 2048MB
Hard Drive - 750GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
Floppy Drive and Media Reader --
Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader with Bluetooth 2.0
Windows Vista® 64-bit Home Premium (English) Service Pack 1

Thanks!

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 11:00

Like digitalheat I find the only way to stop the random rebooting is to disable C-STATE.

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 14:00

Hello all,

I was planning to spend over $6400.00 for the XPS 730X on Monday.

I am really glad I found this forum, which I came accross through google. I most certainly will not be buying it now. I read all the pages on this topic & am sure glad I did.

I previously bought 2 dell systems. Not many issues with them. Would be afraid to buy the XPS 730X now.

Can anyone suggest any other reputable online companies to buy from. Preferably a company with support.

Thanks

Rick

Rick,

I must agree with you, if you read only this thread you might get second thoughts about the 730x. However the things you see here are exceptions in my opinion. I have a 730x myself and I have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. I clocked it to 3.7ghz and it purrs like a kitty :) Don't get me wrong, i'm am feeling the pain of the posters here after spending $6k+. But what i mean to say is this:

I think you can compare only reading this forum to working in the ER. You think twice about crossing the road without looking after a day at the hospital. If you Google a bit more you can find just as much good reviews, like the one from hothardware.com. I do not know how many systems Dell has sold but i'm sure the majority of the owners isn't on this forum. Anyway, it's ur choice.

Greets DJ

8 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 15:00

I have the aircooled 730x with no overclock and am experiencing the same problems as mentioned here.  I have tried adjusting the BIOS as suggested in private message.  I have had multiple parts swapped as recommended by tech support.  I have done a fresh install of the OS and loaded the recommended Thermal Monitor and AlienFX software.  I have reseated the hardware on the motherboard as suggested.  I continue to have the system suddenly power down and reboot with any game I have tried.  If the majority of 730x do not have this problem then I would think replacing my entire system with a working one that has been tested and does not share this problem would make sense as this seems to be a hard to pinpoint issue.

The support people have been very nice and continue to try their best but I am seriously thinking of returning the system.  Two weeks of unstable computer is eating into my productivity far too much. 

I hope a solution is found soon.  I have had 5 previous Dell systems without anything like this before.

Fullcode

72 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 18:00

Have you tried disabling C-State Tech in the BIOS?

Forget all the rest of those ideas, the only thing that WORKS is disabling C-State Tech in the BIOS.

If you do that, you'll have no more random rebooting problem.

72 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 19:00

Disabling Intel(R) C-STATE Tech:

Hit F2 after Dell BIOS Screen

Scroll down to 'CPU Configuration' and hit 'enter'

Scroll down to 'Intel(R) C-STATE Tech' and make sure it says DISABLED

F10 to save the changes and hit enter to reboot

It has worked for everyone who've tried it (including myself) that I've read.   All the rest of that stuff I've tried....it doesn't make a difference.   This DOES!

One week and counting...no more random reboots.....and I have my air-cooled system i7 965 Extreme CPU O'C'd to the 3.73GHz settings....with absolutely no problems whatsoever except slightly higher CPU temperatures.

8 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 05:00

Hello mmab63:

Thank you kindly for your reply.  Unfortunately I did try disabling C-STATE as suggested in this forum and still have the sudden power loss and reboots.  I have been using Crysis and Supreme Commander as test programs and I get 30 seconds at most before shut-down.  Neither was set anywhere close to highest detail/resolution. 

I am not sure if this because I purchased the i7 920 CPU running at stock 2.67GHz that my settings will differ from yours.  My thermal monitor is not showing any unusual temperatures that I can tell.  I suspect we share the same root problem but perhaps require different solutions.

Fullcode

52 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 06:00

I have the 965, I have replaced the processer, H2C unit, tried every setting there is and it still shutsdown and reboots

62 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 13:00

I have the 965, I have replaced the processer, H2C unit, tried every setting there is and it still shutsdown and reboots

Time to send them back folks! It just isn't getting address by Dell now is it? Where is Chris? Not a single word from him, doesn't that make you feel unwanted and ignored? Sure does for me, I did get some refund back, they still owe me $400.00 on my Visa card and get this they claim they already credited it to me? Where I don't know, but that's what the claim. Wow, Dell can't even get your finances right! GEEZ

52 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 15:00

Dell is now sending another processer (2nd One)and motherboard I will keep everyone informed as to the results tomorrow. This is going to end up the $30,0000 computer after repairs they have made

2 Posts

This thread was 43 pages long now it's down to 9 pages...

What gives???

62 Posts

Hey Fullcode, don't wait too long you have 21 days to return it without paying restocking fees, but if you have been talking with Dell Techs and changing out parts, your safe you can return as defective without penalties! But I wouldn't wait much longer. And I don't believe this is random failures of a few machines, this thing is bigger then that! I"M GLAD I RETURNED MY 730X it was a "pile of junk" quoting someone in the Dell reviews! Good Luck All!

62 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

Hey "zaxx" I was wondering the samething...It appears Dell doesn't want everyone to know what's been going on here so they are editing the thread...very interesting. I even "Quoted" another post and they didn't paste the "Quote"? Wow very very strange! You don't think they are trying to hide something now do you? NOT DELL!

62 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

I see what happened! They added more posts per screen...all the posts are still there, scared me for a second! LOL

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 19:00

Thanks DJ for your comments. I greatly appreciate them.

I guess after reading this, I am just stand offish whith the 730x. I have been told that dell want people to pass on the 730x & move into the Alienware product.

I am looking to spend quite a large amount of money on a system & want some feeling of self assurance that I am not getting myself into something I would regret. THe computer I have now Ive had for 4 years. Its a dell 8250 1.5 gigs. It was a great computer & has served me well. It just does not have the power I need for all the video editing, digital art programs and heavy memory stuff I do. I have Nero8 & its a memory hog.

Its hard to find a company that has in home support in Canada. I checked out other computer dealers in the states & they do not offer the in home support.

Take care!

Rick :o)

62 Posts

February 4th, 2009 11:00

Thanks DJ for your comments. I greatly appreciate them.

I guess after reading this, I am just stand offish whith the 730x. I have been told that dell want people to pass on the 730x & move into the Alienware product.

I am looking to spend quite a large amount of money on a system & want some feeling of self assurance that I am not getting myself into something I would regret. THe computer I have now Ive had for 4 years. Its a dell 8250 1.5 gigs. It was a great computer & has served me well. It just does not have the power I need for all the video editing, digital art programs and heavy memory stuff I do. I have Nero8 & its a memory hog.

Its hard to find a company that has in home support in Canada. I checked out other computer dealers in the states & they do not offer the in home support.

Take care!

Rick :o)

Excuse me but it sounds like DJ is a DELL employee to me! The 730X is a piece of trash!

No Events found!