Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

December 18th, 2008 07:00

XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

Hello,

I have a XPS 730x H2C and I it will lose power (reboot) at seemingly random times.  There are no errors reported in “event viewer” and no "blue or red screens" are generated (it just power resets) and I’m at a loss on how to diagnose this problem.   I have checked the temperatures via the Dell thermal application and they seem to run from about 70 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit.  I have also made sure all the drivers are the latest versions.

I resorted to reinstalling the OS (Vista 64 bit) and it seemed better but last night started re-booting on its own again.  It may be a particular software install (e.g. virus scanner?) as I’m slowly adding software back on it but I have not put my finger on it yet.  Is any one else having this problem or have ideas on how to figure out the problem?

Below  are the machine specs:

XPS 730X H2C - Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme - Level 2 (Factory O/C'd to 3.73GHz)
RAM - 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
Video - ATI Radeon HD4870X2 2048MB
Hard Drive - 750GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
Floppy Drive and Media Reader --
Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader with Bluetooth 2.0
Windows Vista® 64-bit Home Premium (English) Service Pack 1

Thanks!

23 Posts

February 20th, 2009 08:00

Take a look at what Wikipedia has to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell

62 Posts

February 20th, 2009 15:00

I would like some advice on what to do next.  I have been very polite and very patient so far but I don't think having a new, nonfunctional system for a month is fair or reasonable. 

My XPS i7 920 with HD4870 X2 air cooled system has not worked since purchase over a month ago.  I have had the CPU, motherboard, GPU, and power supply replaced.  I have done multiple fresh installs of the OS and latest drivers.  I have tried disabling C-state and the other BIOS tweaks recommended.  I had removed, reloaded, and used older versions of the system monitor and Alienware software as recommended.  I have lost almost a week of work time working on this problem.  In my last talk with tech suppport I was told it was a level 3 tech problem and I would hear from them within 48 hours.  It has been a week without any level 3 tech getting back to me.

I initially asked about returning it or replacement system and was told this was a technical issue, don't contact customer service any more, tech will solve it for you.  I took them at their word and now I am outside the 21 day return period.

What are my options?  Is there anything else I should be trying to do to fix my system?  Is there anything else that has worked for other people?  Do I have any further recourse available?

Fullcode

Being as polite as possible, your only recourse is to state you now longer want this computer. Because of the extensive work on your computer with no result you can refuse anymore fixes and ask Tech Services to assign a case number to it if you don't have it already and ask it to be returned for a full refund. My understanding as long as it was defective in the first place they have to honor the return with a full refund and no shipping charges. Remember you have to get the Tech to process that you no longer are requesting a fix but asking for a return. The Techs can't process the return but they have to start the process. They will hand you over the customer service (Goodluck with that!) and you should be on your way to returning the computer and getting a refund. This process will take at least 90 days or even longer. I have some refund to date, but they still owe me $400 on a visa charge. I had to file a complaint with my Bank to get the rest of my money. The also ignore the Bank requests also. So good luck with your adventure...But it going to be a long and hard fight! I returned mine under the 21 days and look what they have put me through! Hope they treat you better!

62 Posts

February 20th, 2009 19:00

Take a look at what Wikipedia has to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell

Wow is all I can say "VonCarlos"....Now I understand thanks for that! (Hummm maybe I was right after all)!

5 Posts

February 21st, 2009 21:00

dlt

62 Posts

February 22nd, 2009 19:00

Hey folks did you notice that Dell has a 25% discount on their 730X H2C systems? Hummmm thats odd? The same system I got for $5300 is now around $4700 Geez well my my maybe I should but it again.....NOT!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 23rd, 2009 07:00

VonCarlos,

Posting the same message in multiple threads is spamming.

52 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 11:00

Well I received my repaired XPS 730 x back from Dell. Guess what not a thing was fixed. I still am having random shutdowns, sata drive is not being read on one of the data ports, No SLI. Too many other problems to mention. This is unbelivable

72 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 13:00

Just to balance all the negativity on here, I happy to report that it's been over 4 weeks and no random reboots after disabling C-STATE Tech!

I have my i7 965 Extreme air-cooled XPS 730x set to the Level 2 settings at 3.73GHz.   Apart from higher CPU temps (5-10 degrees C higher), I've had absolutely NO problems with this baby!    I'd be the first to complain if I was having a problem, but I cannot LIE, the XPS 730x has really exceeded my expectations!

I do hope that a BIOS revision (1.0.1) is coming soon Chris M.....I would like to enable C-STATE Tech once again, but not until the revised BIOS comes out.    It has been a few weeks now and we still have only the 1.0.0 version.

17 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 18:00

Hi,

I just had a tech. replace the mother board and sound card on my second 730X.  It has the Bios ver 1.0.1 and it still rebooted, setting Idle and NOT overclocked. Disabled the C-State once again. My problem, besides the random reboot was a BSOD recieved about every third reboot. Bios did not fix the random reboot problem.

February 23rd, 2009 19:00

Just to balance all the negativity on here, I happy to report that it's been over 4 weeks and no random reboots after disabling C-STATE Tech!

I have my i7 965 Extreme air-cooled XPS 730x set to the Level 2 settings at 3.73GHz.   Apart from higher CPU temps (5-10 degrees C higher), I've had absolutely NO problems with this baby!    I'd be the first to complain if I was having a problem, but I cannot LIE, the XPS 730x has really exceeded my expectations!

I do hope that a BIOS revision (1.0.1) is coming soon Chris M.....I would like to enable C-STATE Tech once again, but not until the revised BIOS comes out.    It has been a few weeks now and we still have only the 1.0.0 version.

+1  on the No more Problems since disabling C-STATE Tech. Running i7 965 H2C overclocked (verified using CPU-Z ). Have played Supreme Commander ; Crysis and Crysis Warhead with no problems on Factory and Added 300GB VelociRaptors (none RAID). I also updated the Factory 1TB Seagate 340as firmware (using Dell online support) as a precauction even though it was working fine...The GTX280 (none SLI) also has worked great ,  using both the baseline driver and the new nVidia driver update...

53 Posts

February 24th, 2009 11:00

I have had C-STATE disabled for 2 weeks now and no more reboots for me either.

I am also running about 5 degrees hotter since no C-STATE.

2 Posts

February 27th, 2009 14:00

I got my XPS 730x H2C Feb. 01 and starting experiencing the rebooting issue a couple of days later. The tech team tried several things to no avail and ultimately said replace motherboard. NO WAY!!! Replace the computer if anything. Anyhow, I researched these forums and found a post about turning off C-State but it went further stating to replace the AlienFX and XPS Thermal Monitor with the ones for the XPS 630. I haven't noticed it running any hotter but it indeed solved the rebooting issue.

72 Posts

March 2nd, 2009 21:00

Another update and to add a little more positivity.

It's been 5 weeks and not a single random reboot since disabling C-STATE Tech.

In the past week I've upgraded my memory from Dell stock 1066MHz RAM to OCZ Platinum DDR3-12800 1600MHz. RAM.   Trying to get the BIOS to run the RAM at 1600MHz, but so far I can only get it to 1333MHz with a 'Memory Ratio' of 10.  Will reboot over and over after the Dell BIOS screen when I set 'Memory Ratio'  to 12 (1600MHz).

Working with OCZ forum to get my memory to run at 1600MHz without the reboots.

I've upgraded my video card from 4850 ATI Radeon to 4870 Crossfire Video Cards.

And believe it or not, I've overclocked my CPU to 3.87GHz (29 multiplier Turbo Mode).   Any higher, and it will not boot into Windows.  And it's been stable at that level (3.87GHz) for 5 days.  CPU temps in lower 40s with fans at 100%, upper 40s lower 50s with fans at default.

Remember, I have the AIR COOLED i7 965 XPS 730x, not the H2C version.

No problems with AlienFX lights.  No problems with XPS Thermal Monitor.

So far, it has been an ABSOLUTE DELIGHT to have this machine!!!    The XPS 730x ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Specs:

i7 965 Extreme CPU (air-cooled)

Visiontek 4870 cards in CrossfireX Mode -- upgraded from ATI Radeon 4850

X-Fi Titanium Audio Card

6GB OCZ Platinum DDR3-12800 1600MHz RAM running at 1333MHz -- upgraded from Dell stock DDR3-8500 RAM

300GB RAID0 VelociRaptors (600GB total) -- upgraded from 500GB Dell stock single Hard Drive

LG Blu-Ray Drive -- upgraded from stock DVD+-RW Drive

March 8th, 2009 07:00

In the past week I've upgraded my memory from Dell stock 1066MHz RAM to OCZ Platinum DDR3-12800 1600MHz. RAM.   Trying to get the BIOS to run the RAM at 1600MHz, but so far I can only get it to 1333MHz with a 'Memory Ratio' of 10.  Will reboot over and over after the Dell BIOS screen when I set 'Memory Ratio'  to 12 (1600MHz).

And believe it or not, I've overclocked my CPU to 3.87GHz (29 multiplier Turbo Mode).   Any higher, and it will not boot into Windows.  And it's been stable at that level (3.87GHz) for 5 days.  CPU temps in lower 40s with fans at 100%, upper 40s lower 50s with fans at default.

So far, it has been an ABSOLUTE DELIGHT to have this machine!!!    The XPS 730x ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Specs:

X-Fi Titanium Audio Card

6GB OCZ Platinum DDR3-12800 1600MHz RAM running at 1333MHz -- upgraded from Dell stock DDR3-8500 RAM

300GB RAID0 VelociRaptors (600GB total) -- upgraded from 500GB Dell stock single Hard Drive

I upgraded the ram to the same OCZ you're using.  If you figure out how to run them at 1600 please do post.  I have an i940 system and  my memory ratio is stuck at 8. It doesn't matter what I set it to, the system will default to 8.   How were you able to set it to 10 ?  Since disabling C-State My computer have been running fine without any reboot issues.  It's been a stable overclock at 3.45 Ghz (23 multiplier Turbo Mode).

72 Posts

March 8th, 2009 13:00

[quote user="mmab63"]

Specs:

X-Fi Titanium Audio Card

I upgraded the ram to the same OCZ you're using.  If you figure out how to run them at 1600 please do post.  I have an i940 system and  my memory ratio is stuck at 8. It doesn't matter what I set it to, the system will default to 8.   How were you able to set it to 10 ?  Since disabling C-State My computer have been running fine without any reboot issues.  It's been a stable overclock at 3.45 Ghz (23 multiplier Turbo Mode).

[/quote]

I have the i7 965 Extreme and I think the BIOS allows a little more tweaking than in the 920s and 940s.

In the 965s, it allows a memory ratio setting of  auto, 6, 8, 10, and 12.

So far it's been stable at 146MHz CPU BClk and a 10 Memory Ratio (1460MHz memory speed) for 2 days.

No Events found!