Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2009 00:00

XPS 730x - Memory questions

I have read over and over again that the XPS 730x can only take a max of 6GB of RAM. But today I saw on the Dell Outlet a system configured with 12GB of RAM. Granted the price tag was almost $5k. I would like to get a Mod to come here and post the complete listing of what the XPS 730x can handle. Unfortunately when the 730x was removed so was all of the info on it. I wish that Dell would leave the specs for the systems online for us even after EOL.

Max Ram:

What Ram has been tested and what settings I can look for to try and buy RAM:

What is the list of all CPU's that can be used:

Will there be the need for a new bios when we recieve the Windows 7 Uprgrade disk's from Dell?

42 Posts

January 10th, 2010 17:00

No way you can install it.The thermal application in tied to the dell Bios.It wont let you run the program on a third party MOBO.The software will install but it wont run.The only thing to do is buy after market fans which I would say is waste of money.I actually ended up putting my MOBO back coz I did not want to spent all the extra money and still have a system that's not as powerful as the stock one.To tell you the truth my old XPS died and they sent me a new one.I am happy with it and I might upgrade the processor to the i7-975 and get 12GB ram later when its gets cheaper.I know it is getting cheaper by the day.The i7 965 I have was $1000 or more last year but now its only $500 for a new one.So you can imagine.Thats the case with the ram too.I found these Mushkin Blackline for $800(3X4GB).And they were like $1200 when they came out.Let me what you end up doing....And I hope this helps.

42 Posts

January 10th, 2010 18:00

Its all controlled ny the thermal app.I installed the new motherboard and when I turned it on the water pump and the raditor fan was running at high rpms from start to finish.There is no way you can control the fans.You could do it in the BIOS but it will stay at the speed you set it and will not go faster if ou need it to.There are temp. sensors inside the computer and the thermal app controls them in the case of both the H2C and the fan option.I would suggest keeping the stock MOBO and installing the H2C unit.Its worth it.

22 Posts

January 11th, 2010 05:00

I already switched the cpu heatsink fan because it was too noisy (the noisiest fan of all!). I Switched it for a Noctua fan which is much more silent. However, I do not have control of it. It seems as though if I put a new MOBO i'd be able to control it right? I mean any third party software could allow me to control retail fans. That's the problem I have now : I have better fans (because the Nidec fans were noisy) but I have no speed control. Its ok because the fans running at 100% are still more silent than the Nidec ones and push more air :) . I guess having a new MOBO would solve my problems because i'd be able to adjust fan speeds by third party apps. Is there something I am missing?

Air cooling seems ok if I only want moderate O/C? I would really like to be able to shoot for 12gb in the future and so a new mobo with 12gb stick would cost me the same as 12GB stick in 3 x 4GB. Is it really worth it to keep the stock MOBO in ? Especially since other MOBO give more O/C potential.

Thanks guys for the insight.

42 Posts

January 11th, 2010 16:00

To tell you the truth I dont think you are going to use all your ram at once.Last night, I did a test on my XPS and I am not sure how accurate the PC meter is but I was watching the Ram meter when I was running a mpeg movie in the Windows media player, a bluray movie and I was converting a music video from .mp4 to .divx and while I was watching the meter the cpu meter went upto 40% and the ram meter upto 30% and so you can imagine how much ram was being used for all the processes.Bear in mind that once you start messing around with the motherboard and stuff, it voids your warranty.The reason why I decided to stay with the stock is coz I have an active warranty till 2012.So if anything goes wrong they will replace it for free but dont let them send you another one coz they will send you a totally downgraded computer as a replacement.I went through this a lot.Hey but its entirely upto you to decide.I would say that water cooling is much better than air cooling.I would stick with the water pump rather than air.

22 Posts

January 11th, 2010 17:00

The H2C is better than the stock cooler (which is not that bad btw). There is no question there. Its also more problem prone so if something happens....  I like having my fans regulated by the motherboard like you said. I already miss that feature. I do music production work. The extra ram would get used up easily by software instruments that load gigs into memory. That aside,  i'm sure you are going to want some changes from here on 2012! The cpu you can change btw. Intel is comming out with the Westmere core (32nm) for the 1366 socket so you can upgrade it if youd like. It'll be quite an upgrade. Other than that i'm still undecided somewhat. Would I be able to control all my fans in a new Motherboard ? 

Btw : My warranty is comming to an end btw so i'm not all that concerned about it.

Thanks again.

No Events found!