Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2010 13:00

XPS 8100 Problems

Hi everyone,

Im new to these forums, just bought myself a new Dell XPS 8100. I received my brand new computer on the 01/10/2010. Now I was so happy that i had gotten my new computer, until it started crashing on me about once an hour. I either get a screen of vertical lines or a completely grey screen.

And to top it all off I went to dells support page to try and send them an Email about it, Lo and behold "Invalid Service Tag"

Ive been doin some searching on the forums and it seems that the service tag problem is a known issue, but does anyone have any ideas why my computer is doing this after less than 1 day out of the box.

Is it a GPU or a CPU problem?

Ive heard that I may need to apply thermal paste but i wanted to get some feedback about this particular problem before i started a DIY job. As i work Shifts I dont have the time to call Dell. Never mind the patience or the money to do so.

Oh and here are the specs of my machine incase you need.

Operating System:          Windows 2.6.1.7600

CPU Type:                         Intel® Core™ i7 CPU         860  @ 2.80GHz

System Memory (GB):     7.96

Video Card:                       ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Hard Disk Size (GB):       920.52

Thanks in advance for any help!

:emotion-1:

3 Posts

October 6th, 2010 17:00

Thanks for the reply Jeff.Yeah it was the first of October :) Well ill have to try that tomorrow when i get home from work.

Just got CPUID HW monitor aswell and the processor is runnin at about 37 C right now.

Il post again after ive tried your advice and let the comp settle a bit.

Cheers again! :emotion-2:

881 Posts

October 6th, 2010 17:00

RAUSH -  I going to guess that you got the 8100 on the 1st of October? Not the 10th of January? Either way it should still be under warranty - You need to MAKE time to call Dell to start a case. A service tag can take 7-10 days to get into the system. After it is valid use the "Live Online Chat" support option.

Until you can get Dell on the job I would unplug everything. Push the power button for 15~30 seconds and then open the case. Discharge any static charge by touching an unpainted surface of the case. Then one part at a time remove and carefully reseat any cards and RAM sticks. A loose connection (sometimes caused in shipping) can cause all manner of strange problems.

I would not change the paste right off the bat. You should check to make sure the fit between the heatsink and processor is tight.

Let us know how it is going.

Jeff :emotion-22:

3 Posts

October 7th, 2010 12:00

Well i tried doing what you said Jeff and so far in the last 20 mins the computer has crashed.

Not a happy bunny at the moment to be perfectly honest.

Just gonna have to bite the bullet and call dell so there goes even more money.

Thanks for the help anyway mate.

:emotion-7:

9.4K Posts

November 1st, 2010 11:00

Hi Raush,

Were you able to get this resolved?  If not, please contact me via private message by clicking on my name in blue, then on the next page click the envelope icon that says "send message".  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

No Events found!