Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2013 18:00

XPS 8100 Video output problem

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this has already been answered (if so, pleas direct me to it), or if I have posted in the wrong forum, but I've been scouring the web to try and find the solution to my problem to no avail.

Problem:

I have a 3 year old dell studio xps 8100 desktop computer.  Last week the video stopped working.  I fixed the problem by connecting the DVI cable to the second video output on the rear of the tower, then powering the computer back on.  This solved the problem, but only temporarily.  Today I returned to the computer after it had been in sleep mode for a couple of days, and again there is no video output. (screen says it's in "power safe mode").

At first I thought it was a problem with the one DVI out on the back of the tower, but after the second output failed, I'm guessing it is something else.

Any help/troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 9th, 2013 21:00

If it's a discrete video card (that plugs in a slot on the motherboard), perhaps the card has failed? It's been known to happen.

2 Posts

December 10th, 2013 07:00

So I opened it up, removed the video card and got rid of all the dust.  From a visual inspection the video card looks fine.  But after re-installing it, there is still no video signal going to the monitor.

I was wondering if there is a way to enable the on-board video card that is directly attached to the motherboard.  Is there a way to enable it on the board itself, as I cannot access the BIOS on the computer, as I have no video output whatsoever. 

The on-board video port at the back of the computer had a small black plastic cover over it (I'm assuming it was put there so on initial set-up you don't mistakenly plug the monitor into it)

I removed the current dedicated video card (GForce), plugged the monitor into the on-board video port, and powered the computer back on, but still no signal.

Any suggestions??

Thx

No Events found!