Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2011 12:00

XPS 8300 Constant disk activity.

Does anyone know of issues with the disk spinning every couple seconds while idle? This happened out of the box, and also after a fresh windows install.  I've disabled all the prefetching, superfetching, etc. I then tried starting  in safe mode, the disk stopped making noise, but the light flashes once per second.

In resmon, I'm getting activity mostly from various 'logfiles' and something called profiles.xml in the ATI directory.

If anyone has any insight into this, that would be great. This is extremely annoying.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 6th, 2011 12:00

The ATIXXX.EXE file

In Windows Vista, the profile is placed in “C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles\”

In Windows XP, you will find the XML profile file in “C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Profiles\”.

C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [StartCCC] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe

O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

mom.exe is a Catalyst Control Center or a Monitoring program from ATI Technologies Inc. belonging to Catalyst Control Centre. Although this is an ATI Technologies Inc. application there is a possibility that this could be a type of spyware if found in the following folder: \program files\mom\mom.exe. Thus it is recommended for removal if possible.

Malware Scan is recommended.

33 Posts

June 10th, 2011 19:00

There doesn't seem to be any malware on my system, but the ATI card and drivers seem to be part of the problem. Thanks anyway.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 10th, 2011 22:00

You might uninstall the catalyst driver in Device Manager, reboot, and reinstall a fresh download of the latest version available at the ATI site.

Ron

33 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 09:00

Well this is extremely disappointing. I've had the computer this whole time and I've never figured this out. I was so annoyed I put the computer in a position so i don't have to see/hear it. I've tried reinstalling, rebooting into safe mode, switching the power/data cables, and it seems to be something inherit with the way this computer was physically built. I think I'm done with dell as well. This 8300 is built far more inferior to my old xps 410 it replaced. If this is Dell's trend, I'm outta here.

14.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 10:00

Disk activity is normal Windows does a lot of things in the background that cannot be turned off. Also it could be the optical drive too. in win 7 the OS polls the optical drive and this will cause the light to flash. you can sometimes get around this by leaving a disk in the optical drive.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 18:00

Is Windows Indexing Service or some anti-malware scan running in the background? 

Windows Indexing Service is not essential so you can disable it. It might take an extra second or 2 to find a file when you search the hard drive, but that might put a stop to the drive running all the time.

Have you scanned thoroughly for malware?

No Events found!