Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 9th, 2012 12:00

XPS 8300/Radeon 6450 HDMI signal drops out and requires cord be unplugged to reset

I searched far and wide and couldn't find anything on this...I have a new XPS 8300 i7, with 16GB RAM, and a Radeon 6450 video card (I know, it's just a general purpose card). Anyway, since HDMI cables are more compact than DVI, I have it connected with HDMI. From time to time though, I experience what I call "HDMI drop out."

For example, a couple of times when rebooting the PC, when it restarts, I have no video signal. Computer boots fine, and if I power cycle the monitor (Dell ST2420L), it says it's in power save mode. The only way to bring the video back is to unplug the HDMI connector from the video card, wait a couple of seconds, and plug it back in. Even a cold boot won't solve it (complete shutdown and turn back on).

The other time this occurs, is after an RDP session from another PC. When I go to the XPS 8300 and login, sometimes the video signal is non existent, and the monitor is in sleep mode. Same solution solves it - unplug the HDMI cable, and plug it back in.

Seems to me like a driver issue, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 9th, 2012 13:00

Is your BIOS set to the latest version?

February 9th, 2012 16:00

Yes it is. Just checked. A06. As far as I can tell, I'm running the latest driver for the video card too. It's even newer than the version on Dell Support (figures).

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 9th, 2012 19:00

If no video is displayed on bootup, it's not a driver issue, as the driver is loaded after Windows boots.

It might be an issue with the card or the monitor or the BIOS.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 10th, 2012 13:00

sgiangregorio,

* Get it up and running
* The desktop resolution should be at 1920x1080
* Press the monitor OSD Menu button
* The bottom of the screen should show Resolution: 1920x1080@60Hz
* Exit the OSD Menu
* Open the ADM Radeon Catalyst Control Center
* Look for and disable DPI scaling
* Save the change
* Allow the PC to go into power save mode. Try to wake it up

February 10th, 2012 15:00

What should this do? It's not the PC that enters sleep mode, it's the monitor due to lack of signal. Just making sure I was clear on that. I'll check the setting though. Thanks

February 10th, 2012 16:00

Just got home and tried to find DPI Scaling in the control center. I looked over and could not find it.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 11th, 2012 09:00

For now, disconnect the HDMI cable and use the DVI to DVI cable. Does the system ever lose the video signal? I am still reseaching the HDMI drop. I think it's the video cards active HDMI port not polling the monitors passive HDMI port. But why, I do not know.

February 11th, 2012 11:00

No problems with dvi.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 13th, 2012 06:00

We tested HDMI on the ST2420L from a Dell XPS 8300 with a higher ended AMD Ati video card and it worked fine. You can try loading the retail driver for the 6450 and see if it helps. If not, get Dell Support to send out a replacement 6450 and test it with HDMI to the monitor.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 14th, 2012 10:00

Could be cheap/loose hdmi cables.

February 14th, 2012 11:00

I've tried two cables, same issue. And I never have an issue during normal operation.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 15th, 2012 05:00

I've tried two cables, same issue. And I never have an issue during normal operation.

"normal operation" ???  what does that mean?

How does one use this monitor in abnormal operation mode?

Dell ST2420L
VGA
DVI-D (HDCP)
HDMI
1920 x 1080 @60 HZ

Windows 7?

Have you installed the monitor driver ?  Which port are you attached to?

QISDA (FORMERLY- BENQ); ST2420L Monitor
Initial Release

(Manuals)
... Dell ST2420L/ST2421L  User's Guide .

Is this the ONLY Monitor?

Have you tried a DVI-D to HDMI cable?

February 15th, 2012 06:00

Why do you have to be sarcastic? You act as though I'm not literate with PCs. Quite the opposite, but this one has me stumped, which is why I thought the forums may be able to assist.

What I meant by that is that I only experience the issue when I am either bringing the PC out of an RDP session, and occasionally on a reboot, but never once the signal is established, does it just drop out.

I have all the latest drivers installed, and as mentioned, I do not have the issue with DVI or even VGA cables, only HDMI. I have tried multiple HDMI cables, and the issue is experienced with all. So it's not an HDMI cable issue. Only one monitor is in use, and I'm running Windows 7 Professional.

I'm not interested in a workaround, as I prefer to have things work the way they should, so I'd like to resolve this. I will try loading the retail driver as suggested, and will try that out.

Thanks for helping.

March 1st, 2012 13:00

I've got a very similar problem with my ST2420L but the rest of my hardware is quite different.  My display is connected via HDMI only to a NVIDIA GTX460 graphics card.  I've had lots of issues with the display drivers, most of which are eliminated by disabling all HD Audio drivers except the one for the audio chip built into my motherboard.  I'm also running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit.  I do have the optional DELL driver for this display installed but have never tried disabling/removing it to solve this specific issue.

Anyway, I have started my PC & had the display remain blank a few times, but that's very rare.  More often, I come back to the computer after it has entered a reduced power state (no sleep but the display is powered off after 10 minutes) & the display is blank.  The only thing that will revive the display is either cycling power (pulling the cord & plugging it back in) or unplugging the HDMI connection & plugging it back in.

March 3rd, 2012 07:00

Well I thought I'd report back. After installing the latest AMD retail drivers for the card, my problem is resolved. I've tried every which way to get it to do it again, using RDP and sleep settings, and every time the monitor now comes out of power save mode just fine on HDMI.

Thanks Chris M!

No Events found!