Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2012 14:00

XPS 8300 Won't Load

My XPS 8300 just passed the 12 month warranty period and decided to give me the blue screen of death over the weekend with a stack dump crash and physical memory dump.  After that I was only able to get access in safe mode.  I tried perfomring system retores to each available back-up, but they did not work.  I ran hardware and memory diagnostics and got no errors.  I then performed the restore to factory settings function.  Now I am completely stuck.  Windows will not start and the only menu option I can access contains eveything I have already done.

I would like to perform a complete reinstall of windows 7, but have no clue as my Dell didn't come with any disks...just the Windows 7 license...HELP!!!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 16th, 2012 05:00

Ok, first I want you to go here and order a set of replacement discs. You may need to perform a manual reinstallation of the operating system.

Second, I want you to boot to your Dell drivers and utilities disc and run the Dell diagnostics on your hard drive. Run the custom test, which allows you to test a single component.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 15th, 2012 14:00

Hi sspaeth04,

Do you happen to remember the blue screen error? That might be a good clue.

Can you tell me what you see when you start the computer?

4 Posts

October 15th, 2012 15:00

Thanks Osprey:

Basically now when the computer is turned on is goes to a black scree with 2 options:

(1) System Recovery Options

(2) Start Windows Normally

Selecting (2) yields nothing as the computer reboots and brings me back to the black screen with 2 options.

Selecting (1) brings me to the system recovery options which also get me nowhere.  The startup repair feature will run, but crashes after a few minutes and informs me that I need to reinstall windows 7.  The system restore feature brings up the factory settings date, which I have already done.  The system image recovery feature is of no use to me as I don't have one.  The windows memory diagnostic finds no errors, and the command prompt is useless to a novice like me...

In terms of the blue screen error, I cannot access it anymore...I don't even get that far.  The computer automatically goes to the startup error screen with 2 options as described above.

It seems like a never ending do loop without options...

4 Posts

October 24th, 2012 22:00

Well after over a week of waiting, the good news is that my OEM Windows 7 disc arrived along with a Dell drivers disc.  I was able to reload Windows 7 and all the drivers.  After hours of updates I now have a functional computer again...woohoo!!!

Now I have to figure out how to get the Microsoft Office 2010 suite back on the computer.  The good news is I still have the product key...the bad news is that's all I have.  I can access the internet, but have no Office products to work from.

Thanks for your help Osprey.

4 Posts

October 24th, 2012 23:00

2.2 Microsoft Office 2010 Official Download Links (Digital River) has a link I'm trying...hopefully I only have a couple more hours to go on getting the computer set up...then it's time to reload my files.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 25th, 2012 05:00

Great! Thanks for letting me know you're back on track.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 17th, 2013 01:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.        

No Events found!