Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2013 16:00

XPS 8300 will not recognize new, verified working HD 7750 cards

I've tested it in another PC in the house, but it will not be recognized by the XPS 8300. This originally came with a decent card, I believe it was a 6770. However, that card has been acting up, overheating and giving problems after 2 years of intense use so I decided to replace it with a 7750 for similar performance (at least on passmark).

I've uninstalled the drivers I already had, and hooked it up. It's simple, no additional power needed, just shove it in the slot, and I get no display at all, not even during BIOS. I've double checked that all the drivers from the old card are gone and even tried a different radeon hd 7750 from my other computer, the XPS simply will not recognize either of the working cards. I've unseated and reseated it multiple times and dusted out the slot. 

Is there anything else I can try? Both cards were verified (today) to work. I'm not even trying to crossfire them, just trying to get one of them working. 

Edit: Not sure if this matters at all, but one is manufactured by MSI and one by HIS. My XPS 8300 has a 460W PSU which should be more than sufficient.

1.5K Posts

December 30th, 2013 17:00

The power supply is more than enough.  The HD 7750 uses half the power that the HD 6770 uses.  Did you update to the latest bios version before installing?  If so, you may just have a compatibility issue.  It is not possible to crossfire in the XPS 8300.    

2 Posts

December 30th, 2013 19:00

Agh! It was totally the BIOS. I swear I thought I'd done that recently, but I guess it was one of my other computers. Fixed. Husband will be so happy he can play his vidya games now. 

No Events found!