Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2014 12:00

XPS 8500: 2 SSD and 1 HDD?

Hi,

I have an XPS 8500, factory configured with a 256GB SSD for the boot (C) drive, and a 2TB HDD for the main data drive. I use a ton of heavy programs (Lightroom, PS, Premiere Pro, etc.), and would like to make some changes to the configuration of this system. Wondering if (a) the below is possible and (b) what hardware would be recommended for the second SSD. Here's my thinking:

1. Keep the factory-installed SSD in C. It's working fine, has about 40% open on it. 
  2. Move the current D:/ (HDD) drive to another bay. My understanding is that in the factory configuration, this HDD is occupying the second SATA III port (the first is occupied by the main boot SSD). I have my photo/video files stored on redundant external USB 3.0 drives, and the current D:/ drive holds only Word documents, spreadsheets, etc. - stuff that doesn't require SSD and speed. 
  3. Put a new 256GB SSD (or bigger, depending on budget) into the now-open SATA III slot and use it for caching, paging, etc. for all Adobe and other resource intensive programs. 

Does this make sense? Am I correct in the current and projected setups? Any specific hardware recommendations for the new SSD? 

Thanks,

Jake Norton

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 15th, 2014 14:00

If your mSATA slot is free, you have the option of a 256gb mSATA SSD. I have a Plextor 128gb SSD in my XPS 8500's mSATA slot.

15 Posts

January 15th, 2014 14:00

Thanks, rdunnill. My understanding is that the factory SSD, installed by Dell when I bought the system about 2 years ago, would be occupying the mSATA slot. Is that correct? I might well be mistaken. 

Thanks,

Jake

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 15th, 2014 16:00

I'm not sure; if that is the case, you can use one of the spare drive bays.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 20th, 2014 10:00

Anyone have an answer on this? I really want to run this Dell for another year or so, but in its current setup it's simply not up to the task of running some programs - I think the second SSD would help a lot in this regard. 

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. 

There are two 3.5-inch hard drive bays and an additional 3.5-inch device bay. Any one of those will accommodate an SSD housed in a 3.5-to-2.5-inch adapter bracket, and surely one is available.

15 Posts

January 20th, 2014 10:00

Anyone have an answer on this? I really want to run this Dell for another year or so, but in its current setup it's simply not up to the task of running some programs - I think the second SSD would help a lot in this regard. 

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jake

15 Posts

January 20th, 2014 11:00

Thanks rdunnill. One final question: Do you know if those 3.5 inch bays are Sata II or Sata III? 

-Jake

No Events found!