Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2013 05:00

XPS 8500 Dual Monitor Set-up

I recently purchased a Dell XPS8500 after finally putting my old HP from 2002 out to pasture.  My intention is to hook up a  Cintiq 22" pen display monitor to the main DVI port and then hook up my Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM 23" via the VGA.  However, when I try this I  get an error saying the setup is incorrect.  The Cintiq works fine when it is hooked up at the primary monitor.  Should I be connecting via HDMI?  I have never done a dual monitor setup - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Vince

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 14th, 2013 07:00

Hi Vince,

I suggest you to enable the “Intel Mutli-Display” feature in the BIOS and check if both the monitors works properly. Please follow the steps provided below to enable this feature in XPS 8500:

1. Restart the computer and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo.
2. On the BIOS page, navigate to the “Advanced” menu.
3. On the “Advanced” menu page, navigate to “Onboard Device Configuration” and press Enter to select it.
4. Navigate to “Intel Multi-Display” and set it to “Enabled”.
5. Press the “F10” key to save the settings and restart the computer.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

2 Posts

March 14th, 2013 14:00

You are a great man, my friend.  This solution worked perfectly. Thanks!

2 Posts

November 20th, 2013 11:00

I did exactly all of that and everything worked perfectly!  I was in a blissful dual monitor state.

Then I upgraded to Win8.1 from Win 8.0 and now my second monitor is not recognised.

Thoughts?

Thanx!

Simon Lono

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 20th, 2013 13:00

Then I upgraded to Win8.1 from Win 8.0 and now my second monitor is not recognised.

Simon Lono

1. Which is the second monitor? 
  2. DId you go to the Win 8.1 display options settings page and set to use 2 monitors?
  3. Did you update the Intel onboard video driver to the latest version for Win 8.1?

2 Posts

November 21st, 2013 06:00

1.  2nd monitor is a ACER X193w.  No prior problems

2.  Yes.  It does not detect the 2nd monitor anymore.  It used to.  I also checked the BIOS settings in case that was reset and it  was fine.  In fact, the BIOS screen appeared on both monitors so I'm pretty sure the hardware is fine too.

3.  The Intel site device scanner says I'm up to date.

It's a mystery.  I hate mysteries

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 21st, 2013 09:00

Wasn't asking brand/model of monitor 2. I was asking which port monitor 2 is connected to, eg onboard VGA or to a port ( type?) on the add-in video card. :emotion-2:

I saw a thread on the Intel forum with a similar problem after updating to Win 8.1. The advice there was to make the monitor connected to the onboard Intel graphics VGA port monitor 1.

And look for an updated Wn 8.1 driver for your video card too.

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

July 18th, 2015 21:00

Had a lot of problems getting into biosis. Finally switched keyboard plug to a different usb port.  That still did not work.  Then turned off computer, unplugged keyboard and started unit.  Used mouse to turn off computer. Then plugged keyboard back in and (as I did many times before) pressed F2 while the unit was booting.  I immediately got into biosis, enabled the intel multi-display, turned off unit, connected third monitor by vga cable to integrated intel multi-display, turned computer back on.  Updated driver for Intel Multi-Display, spent some time adjusting how my 3 screens work. 

Now I finally have 3 monitors working on my computer. Many thanks to all the great people who posted advice before my current message.

No Events found!