Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 29th, 2015 17:00

XPS 8500 PC3-14900

I got 2x 8GB PC3-14900 chips.  I thought these would be downward compatible with PC3-12800, but looks like it's not.

I did install the latest BIOS (A12) on the system, but as soon as I put one of these chips in, the computer gives 4 beeps and nothing else.

Any ideas?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 29th, 2015 18:00

How much RAM, in total, do you have installed including the new 2x8GB modules?

According to the XPS 8500 specs, this model supports these RAM configs:

2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB

So if you have more than 16 GB but less than 32 GB, total, it's probably not supported.

If you put these 2 new modules in slots 1 and 2, without the old RAM installed, does it boot? Note that slot 1 is the SECOND slot from the CPU and slot 2 is the FOURTH from the CPU.

And after you install the new modules in slots 1 and 2, remove the motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery. Then close case and see if it boots now.

If it doesn't boot with only new RAM, it's either not compatible or defective...

1 Rookie

• 

100 Posts

April 29th, 2015 20:00

After a lot of trial and error, I found one of the new chips was indeed bad.

System is working with 2x 4g PC3-12800 (original) and 1x 8g PC3-14900.

I kept on testing both chips at a time, never thinking one was bad.  These are PNY, and in fact, even dropped shipped by PNY itself.   When I started testing one chip at a time on slot 1, that's when I discovered one was bad.  I kept on thinking it was a compatibility issue.

Regarding the configuration, I don't see why it could not support 24gb, using 2x 4gb and 2x 8gb.  I should get a replacement in a few days and will verify if the config would work or not.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 30th, 2015 14:00

I don't see why it could not support 24gb, using 2x 4gb and 2x 8gb.

But you didn't design the Intel chipset hardware on the motherboard or write their chipset driver, or write the BIOS code.

And it might work with 24 GB some of the time but Dell probably hasn't validated that config. So you can't complain to Dell if it doesn't work with 24 GB. And all it takes is one crash with an unvalidated RAM config to wipe out a whole day's work...

Sounds like PNY has lousy quality control if a brand new module is DOA. Post back and let us know what happens when you get another one that works.

EDIT: I can't type today... :emotion-10:

No Events found!