Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2013 12:00

XPS 8500 - Problems with F12 (to get into advanced boot options)

Hi I have an XPS 8500 running Win 7 Ultimate (12GB memory, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @3.40GHz)

I can't get it to boot from a DVD so I can do a manual install.  (The original installation is Japanese, so when I try to do a reinstall, it assumes that I want my primary language to be Japanese.  I've installed the English language pack, and see 85% English, but I want 100% English.)

When I try to start and use F12, it seems to ignore it.  I never see the boot options -- just a quick flash of the diagnostics, and it's off and running.

I've hit F12, many times -- without it making any difference.  I've tried shutting down and restarting 10~20 times.

Very Frustrating.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2 Posts

May 27th, 2013 00:00

Trying to use F2 met with no greater success.

I had the idea of switching from my fancy Microsoft "Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (v.1)” to the plain vanilla keyboard that came for free with my system.  

As it turned out, the computer's BIOS recognized that keyboard’s F12 and F2.  I was able to reconfigure the boot order and got things working correctly.  

Thus, the real problem was my fancy keyboard's function keys not being recognized by the BIOS.  Moral of the story: Use a simple keyboard to change BIOS. (It's surprising that all of Microsoft's keyboards are not usable with the BIOS.)

As a side note:  if you’re wanting to do a clean install and an upgrade, you have to do the clean install first.  The upgrade won’t work (as an authorized copy of Windows) without the “standard” version being installed first.  [I ended up installing Windows 3 times to get it done right.]

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 5th, 2013 15:00

Hi jw-xps,

You can make your DVD the primary boot device in the BIOS (F2). The timing for newer systems can be a bit tricky.

May 26th, 2013 12:00

Same problem--just trying to access bios and or start up sequence.

I've tried restarting--14 times total. Sometimes the F12 script will pop up (upper right corner of display) but hitting F12 is ignored.

Dell denies there is a problem with the bios--but this phenomenon is WIDE spread.

Next step--unplug. Short out CMOS with a jumper.

Next step--but ANYTHING but a Dell and use this machine as a boat anchor. Nothing but start/shut-down and crash issues since I got it.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 26th, 2013 18:00

Hi Fighterjock,

The key for the BIOS is F2, not F12. However, the procedure is a bit different depending on the operating system. Can you tell me what operating system you have?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 27th, 2013 05:00

Good to hear.

May 27th, 2013 08:00

Tried them all--should have included that. F12, F2, F8, etc.

It's obvious that the bios command isn't being recognized--the question is why? The USB keyboard input IS recognized during non-standard startups (i.e. following a crash) when the DOS type screen is displayed asking if I want to enter safe mode, normal start, etc.

My next step is similar that that listed below--but since the computer has no PS/2 or serial type inputs I must first buy an adapter.

OS is Windows 7 and is fully updated as are other peripherals, etc. via Dell's support page.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 27th, 2013 11:00

Thus, the real problem was my fancy keyboard's function keys not being recognized by the BIOS.  Moral of the story: Use a simple keyboard to change BIOS. (It's surprising that all of Microsoft's keyboards are not usable with the BIOS.)

Some of the fancy Microsoft keyboards require using a 'function alt' key to generate function key-presses.

No Events found!