Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2013 12:00

XPS 8500 USB 3.0 very slow

Hi,

I've got an XPS 8500 running Windows 7, an am currently copying about 500GB of images and video from a recent shoot from a portable USB 3.0 drive to my primary storage drives. All drives are USB 3.0, and are connected to USB 3.0 ports. However, I'm getting only about 13.6 MB/sec transfer speeds - in other words, very slow, and nowhere near USB 3.0 speeds. 

I'm copying from a WD Passport 2TB drive to a Lacie 3TB drive. Both drives get full speeds of 60-90 MB/s on my laptop (Surface Pro running Windows 8), but are slow on this machine. 

Any suggestions? Would be great to get this figured out!

Thanks,

Jake

1.5K Posts

October 21st, 2013 22:00

Hi Jake,

You may uninstall the ‘USB Root Hubs’ from ‘Device manager’. Please follow the steps below:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’
  • Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’
  • From the list, look for ‘USB Root Hub’
  • Right click and click ‘Uninstall’, click ‘Ok’
  • Uninstall all ‘USB Root Hub’ listed
  • Wait for all the drivers to get uninstalled
  • Restart the computer
  • Restarting the computer will install ‘USB Root Hub’s automatically on the computer

You may install latest USB 3.0 drivers from the link: http://dell.to/1iahkbN.

You may update the system BIOS from the link: http://dell.to/H7o7I2.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 21st, 2013 23:00

I tried copying a large file from the spindle drive to a USB 3.0 flash drive, and got around 38 MB/s. At one point it was transferring in the high sixties, but then the transfer bogged down.

I have an XPS 8500 with Windows 7 x64.

140 Posts

October 26th, 2013 19:00

Neither of these links work - they both error out on Dell's site.

15 Posts

October 27th, 2013 05:00

Thanks for the answers. As seems to usually happen, Dell's automated update systems didn't pick up a driver update for USB, but by going to the Dell website, entering my service tag, and manually searching for updates, I found the "recommended" updates that fixed the issue completely.

With the new drivers, I'm now getting consistent transfer speeds of 50-80 MB/sec depending on the drive/device. 

Anyone else having this issue, go to the Dell support site, enter your service tag, and manually search for and download/install the updated usb drivers. Good luck! 

Jake

No Events found!