Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2013 15:00

XPS 8500 Won't Wake Up

Often, when my XPS 8500 goes to sleep after normal power settings (usually about 30 minutes without use), it won't wake up when activating the mouse.  Not sure if it is a computer or monitor issue.  The monitor's power light is flashing and the screen has a mild backlight.  Also, if I turn the monitor off and then on, the computer makes the usual "Chime" sound that one hears when a USB device is being removed or attached.  When I turn the monitor back on, it immediately says "entering power saver mode".  Moving the mouse or hitting any keys has no affect.  The only way to recover is with a hard shutdown by holding the computer power button and then restarting the system

It would be nice to not have to do this avery 3 or 4 wake ups, which is about what I get. 

Thanks for any advice.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 30th, 2013 17:00

BTW: Some HID devices have an option on Power Management tab to: "Allow this device to wake...". So check that box as appropriate for your devices, eg if you want a touch screen to be able to wake the PC.

November 30th, 2013 16:00

Windows version 8.1.

Thanks, RoHe.  I will give this a try and report back.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 30th, 2013 16:00

Version of Windows?

Open Device Manager and expand list under USB.  Double-click on each USB entry. If the entry has a Power Management tab, uncheck the box on that tab to "Allow PC to turn off this device...". 

Reboot when all those boxes are unchecked.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 30th, 2013 17:00

In Win8.1, you should also look for Power Management tabs for items listed under Human Interface Devices (HID) in Device Manager, and uncheck those same stupid boxes to "Allow PC to turn off..." and reboot.

December 10th, 2013 05:00

After applying this suggested solution, and after about 10 days, there have not been any repeat episodes.

Thanks to RoHe for the apparent answer!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 10th, 2013 12:00

:emotion-21:  :emotion-21:

No Events found!