Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2013 20:00

XPS 8500 and GTX 770

What with the recent drop in prices from Nvidia and the release of BF4 for the PC I have been thinking about upgrading my Dell's GPU.

This is the specific card that I am considering: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=84933&vpn=02G-P4-2771-KR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1360

My Concerns:

1) PSU: My XPS has a 460W PSU, this card requires 600w, however; my XPS shipped with an HD7870 installed (min psu: 500w) and has run it with zero problems thus far

2) PCI-E power connectors: I know my XPS has at least one 6pin connector currently wiring to my HD7870, 270x requires a 6pin and an 8pin (ships with 8 and 6 pin "adapters")

3) Space inside the case: The 270x measures: 10.5" x 4.4" and is significantly larger than my HD7870

Questions:

- Has anyone in the community managed to get this monster to fit/work with the 8500?

- Do I need to buy a new PSU? I have read on several websites that the min. PSU requirements for graphics cards are exaggerated and that 460w should be good enough for most cards, is this true? If I do need  How difficult are they to install in an 8500?

- Will I have enough PCI-E power connectors/adapters to hook the GPU up properly?

- Why would Dell ship me a PSU that doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the video card I bought through them? Isn't this dangerous?

I hope someone from Dell and perhaps some more experienced PC enthusiasts can get back to me and let me know their thoughts about both my concerns and questions, thanks in advance!

1.5K Posts

November 2nd, 2013 15:00

Honestly, I would not bother with the upgrade just to play BF4.  The HD 7870 is more than enough for this game.  You will have the cost of the card at $350 plus the cost of a new power supply.  I just personally don't think it's worth the upgrade cost for the performance gain of maybe 20 FPS.  

You do not have the 8 pin power cable required.  The GTX 770 can use around 50 more watts than the HD 7870.  The Dell supplied HD 7870 is configured to work with your current power supply.  It is not the same as a retail version even though a retail HD 7870 would still work.  There is no danger here at all.  In any case, I don't see where a 10.5" long card is a fit problem for the XPS 8500 as long as there is no hard drive in the lower bay.  

With new retail power supplies, you will end up with a lot of additional cable length and a mess of wires everywhere compared to what you have now.  This is one reason I don't like upgrading power supplies in these mini towers because they're too small.  Even the midsize retail cases are much larger than the mini towers giving you a lot more room for these big video cards and PSU's and the airflow is much greater with the increased size and multiple case fan options.  

Again, I don't see a cost of over $400 for the two upgrades to be worth it when you can still play BF4 on Ultra settings with the HD 7870.  

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2013 17:00

Cheers for the quick response,

I have definitely reconsidered my options after realizing how much of a pain a new psu might be to manage/pay for.  However, I'm still hungry for the 60 frames my 7870 isn't able to give me on BF4 Ultra.  As an alternative a friend of mine will be upgrading his GPU this month and is willing to sell me his Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 OC for $200.  I understand that the R9 280x is somewhat of a re-brand of the 7970, that being said would it give me the 60 frames I'm looking for?  Would it still require a new psu?

Thanks again!

1.5K Posts

November 2nd, 2013 18:00

Unfortunately yes.  The HD 7970 uses more power than the GTX 770.  I just would not be so hungry for better frame rates if I was you and turn things down a bit.  You can always try overclocking your HD 7870 and see how that works.  

No Events found!