Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 25th, 2014 14:00

XPS 8500 power off issues

Amen brother. Don't mean to hijack your thread but I've got an unresolved complaint myself, and am feeling pretty ticked off at Dell right now as well. I too am having a problem with an XPS-8500 (still under warranty). Seems a LOT of people are having problems with XPS-8500's... :-( The thing won't power off after I shut it down. Everything appears to shut down, except the motherboard, video card, cpu, and fans all remain powered ON. I have to hold down the power switch to turn it off. Happens in both Win 7 AND Linux. Have tried upgrading the BIOS and reinstalling Win7 to a spare hard drive and it made no difference. Tech support has pretty much blown me off. The email I received from tech support gave me steps to resolve my "error while waking up from the Sleep Mode". Say what? That's not even remotely related to the issue I am having. Now today I checked the status of this support request and it says "closed". Well golly gee Dell, thanks a lot for nothing. I guess if someone does respond, they'll be telling me to use phone support (India) with people who only know how to tell customers to "reinstall Windows"- (did that) and upgrade the BIOS (did that too). I've had pretty good luck with Dell, I have 3 of them, but I never needed help before for what is obviously a faulty power supply or motherboard problem. I'm thinking my next system might be an but I don't know if their tech support is any better. This problem is really giving me pause about ever buying another Dell though.

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

March 25th, 2014 14:00

I too am having a problem with an XPS-8500 (still under warranty). Seems a LOT of people are having problems with XPS-8500's... :-( The thing won't power off after I shut it down.

mrsfixit99

No, no, no, no, that's not how it works. You're under warranty and as such are entitled for them to troubleshoot the problem, find the error and dispatch a tech  to your house to fix it, (if it's hardware related). You  need to fill this form out first, this will escalate your issue. You should get a response from Dell w/in a few business days. Now you need to call tech support or use their chat. The advantage of the chat is you'll be with one person and they won't transfer you. You need to be polite but firm, let them do their troubleshooting and all I said earlier then ask them to schedule a tech to come out and fix it. 

Let me  know what happens.

Z......................

No Events found!