Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2012 09:00

XPS 8500, video card, power supply, upgrades

I see several threads looking for XPS 8500  video card upgrades that can be used with the stock 460w PSU or upgraded PSU.   However, in upgrading the GPU for this machine, there are some cards that will not be compatible and will result in a black screen.    Even with a proper video card install, an adequate and/or upgraded power supply , the video card fans will be working, but there will be no video.   The problem lies in the BIOS for the XPS 8500 motherboard not recognizing the video card and this is a known issue that has carried over from the XPS 8300 to the current XPS 8500. 

There have been video BIOS upgrades from some card makers to correct this problem for certain cards, but there are a lot of legacy cards that won't work.  Safest bet would be to use a newer card with the PCI 3.0 spec.

In the sticky in this forum a link to the current Dell drivers shows the following video cards that are supported with drivers for Windows 8:

Video

GeForce GT 545 | GTX660 | GTX555 | GeForce GTS450 | GeForce GTX 590 | GeForce GTX 460 | GTX680 | GeForce GTX 580 | GeForce GTX 560 Ti | GTX 480 | GTX690 http://downloads-us.dell.com/FOLDER00753042M/3

Geforce GT 620 | Geforce GT640 | nVidia GT640 http://downloads-us.dell.com/FOLDER00736734M/3

AMD HD7570 http://downloads-us.dell.com/FOLDER00746666M/6/

Radeon HD 6990 | Radeon HD7870 | Radeon HD 6950 | Radeon HD 5870 | Radeon HD 6770 | Radeon HD 5970 | Radeon HD7770 | Radeon HD 5770 | Radeon HD 6870 | Radeon HD7950 http://downloads-us.dell.com/FOLDER00749652M/3

Since these are Dell OEM cards that are being supported, there are also manufacturer specific issues where a given video card model may or may not work depending on its configuration.  Whereas a XFX HD 6870 will work in the XPS 8500, the same card made by another manufacturer may not work.

Please keep this in mind when doing GPU and PSU upgrades and hopefully BIOS upgrades in the future will address these issues.

It would be helpful if you have a SPECIFIC card that does or doesn't work, to post the manufacturer and complete model number in this thread.

OS and Bios information also would be helpful, and if you are using the Dell PSU or an upgrade power supply.  Specific model please!

Edit:

Please include following and any other helpful information

Graphic card manufacturer and model number:

Bios:

Operating System:

Power supply manufacturer if not Dell 460w PSU :

Compatible:  Yes or No

Original card with system that worked:

5 Posts

July 5th, 2013 19:00

I've tried all avenues and am desperate to make my video card work. I am trying to use an MSI GTX 650 TI in a Dell XPS 8700 that came with a Radeon 7750. When I replace the 7750 with 650TI, I get 5 or 6 beeps and nothing appears on the screen.

I see people have talked about updating the video card bios, but MSI does not have an update bios listed for this card. I am also unsure as to what to do next. Can a kind soul please help me?

11 Posts

July 5th, 2013 22:00

Hello,

I don't know where you heard people talk about video card BIOS but they really have no idea what they're talking about. Your video card's BIOS does not get updated, like at all. The only plausible reason you'd have to mess with your video card's BIOS is if you were going to code a mod for it yourself. Other than that there is absolutely no reason to touch the video card BIOS. The only thing the end user needs to do is update the drivers. In fact, this is encouraged by the GPU manufacturer (AMD, Nvidia). With that said I'm going to refer to the BIOS as your motherboard's BIOS and nothing else. What revision BIOS are you running on your XPS 8700? What OS are you running? Which graphics driver version are you running?

Thanks

5 Posts

July 6th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the help rhomaion.

I thought updating the video card bios was suggested in the original post. I may have misunderstood. Moving on....

MB BIOS: A01 (5/16/2013), upgraded from A00 that came preinstalled

GPU: Trying to install MSI Geforce GTX 650TI

Upgrading the bios has not yielded any different results. As soon as I replace the 7550 with the 650TI, I get 6 beeps at boot up and a black screen.

I am not sure how to install/update the drivers for the nvidia card since I cannot even boot up with it.

11 Posts

July 6th, 2013 18:00

Hello,

Please make sure that when you're installing the GTX 650 Ti you're plugging in the power cable which is usually a 6-pin or 8-pin connector. You will know what type it is by counting the pins on it.

If you've already done this and still get the 6 beeps at boot up then go ahead and reinstall the AMD Radeon 7550 and then boot the system.

From this point lets try to install the Nvidia drivers for the GTX 650 Ti.

You can find the Nvidia drivers here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Please note you'll have to manually select the drivers based on your graphics card model by using the "Manual Driver Search" option on the web page I provided above.

When you've selected your graphics card model it will produce a drop down menu at the bottom of the page.

Select the drivers that are highest in number that list "WHQL" after the driver's version number. It may require a restart to complete the installation of the drivers.

After the drivers have finished installing shut down the system and reinstall the GTX 650 Ti. Make sure to connect the power cable to the graphics card. :emotion-5: Now boot the system.

Let me know if your problem persists.

798 Posts

July 6th, 2013 18:00

This is an XPS 8500 thread but with the beeping it sounds like you might be having a bios setup issue with the new XPS 8700 or a Window 8 issue.    If not, there are a few different versions of the GTX 650TI so not sure either of these MSI video bios upgrades are applicable.   Check this site below to see if these upgrades are for your card and contact MSI as well to see if there is one that isn't showing on their website.   I do know there were 600 series video bios upgrades that solved motherboard compatibility issues with the XPS 8500.   If you can't solve the issue after troubleshooting  then I would try a different card.    

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=&model=&interface=&memType=&memSize=

I'd use this site as a reference, not sure if I'd download anything off the site, I prefer downloading off the manufacturers site whenever possible.

This is assuming you have a working GTX 650 ti that was tested in a different machine. 

I went through a similar issue with a EVGA GTX 550 which wouldn't work either in my XPS 8500 when I first got it....never worked as was no longer supported when I got the new machine.   Typically video bios issues are found with non-reference cards where the manufacturer used their own pcb or fan mods and may not post on machines where the motherboard bios is setup for reference cards used Nvidia and AMD specs.

5 Posts

July 6th, 2013 19:00

Yes - i did connect the pin. The fan on the video card was running, so it had power.

I can't install the driver without the nvidia card installed. The installer cannot find the card, and therefore cannot continue. Any suggestions?

798 Posts

Did u try Kelbear1's suggestion from this thread about changing the UEFI Secure Boot to Off?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19514003.aspx\

You might want to take this discussion there on the XPS 8700 related thread if that particular motherboard bios change worked for you

5 Posts

Thanks - i did find a bios listed there, but none on the msi website.

5 Posts

July 7th, 2013 09:00

Turning UEFI Secure Boot to Off worked! thank you everyone!

14 Posts

July 18th, 2013 23:00

Just wanted to update my post.

Graphic card manufacturer and model number: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 760

Bios: A09

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)

Power supply manufacturer if not Dell 460w PSU : PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 500W

Compatible:  Yes

Original card with system that worked: (I would guess you mean installed initially) AMD HD7570

Never tested the old GPU.  My GPU and computer arrived same day, so I installed both the GPU and PSU before my first boot.  Working well so far.  Only issue I'm having is related to drivers as far as I know.  Every 36 hours, nvlddmkm pops out Event 14 in event viewer, followed by around 30 seconds of lag.  After that, back to normal.  Honestly, if it never gets fixed, I don't mind living with the issue.  I don't feel like pressing my luck by updating the Bios.  Hope this contribution helps some other fellow.  ;)

EDIT:  Also thought I should throw in, I keep the side panel removed for air flow.  No idea if it runs with it on, but it's plenty quiet with it off, and I don't mind dusting it once a month or so.

1 Message

July 19th, 2013 22:00

I am looking to upgrade the power supply and  video card with

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

www.amazon.com/.../ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC

I want to know if this will work and if there are any problems that I may have. Also if anyone was this setup already would like to know how its working out for you. Appreciate the help.

Dell XPS 8500

Intel Core i7-3770 - 3.40 ghz (up to 3.90 Turbo Boost)

Windows 8

16GB DDR3 SDRAM

2TB Hard Drive

18 Posts

August 14th, 2013 00:00

wonder if there will be a thread like this for the XPS 8700  im hoping to get a asus gtx 660 ti and keep the oem PSU

August 15th, 2013 13:00

My General Guidelines:

The XPS 8500 PSU is 460W with quite a bit of amperage on the three 12-volt rails. My calculation shows 32 amps total or 385W/12. Checking the graphic card vendor's site should reveal minimum requirements for their cards.

Replacing the power supply with anything longer than a 140mm PSU (the stock PSU length) requires moving or removing the wireless antenna cable and tie-down. It's also a bit tight trying to maneuver a longer PSU under the top panel USB cables. I tried a 160mm PSU and removed the tie-down completely (it's held in place by adhesive).

Any graphics card longer than 9" will probably not fit. And the height of the card I tried required me to replace a serial-ATA cable with a longer version to reach the DVD-ROM drive.

Successful Configuration:

Dell XPS 8500 i5

SeaSonic G 550 - Don't mess with Corsair or any other brand, these are simply the best, IMHO.

EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Dual SC w/ ACX Cooler Part Number: 02G-P4-3765-KR - Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply, +12V current rating of 30 amps, total power draw 170 watts

HTH

August 17th, 2013 20:00

Graphic card manufacturer and model number: Sapphire 7950 3GB  100352-3L

Bios: A11

Operating System: Windows 8

Power supply manufacturer if not Dell 460w PSU : Seasonic

Compatible:  NO

Original card with system that worked: EVGA Nvidia Geforce GT 620 

Great idea for this thread. I'm so very disappointed in this issue, but the more information there is, the better. Now time to comb through this thread and see what my choices are. 

August 17th, 2013 21:00

Also, someone above mentioned the MSI GTX 760. I'd be down for this, but I see at least a couple of different models. Do I need to be wary about picking up a different one than what the poster did, or should I be safe since it's a MSI 760?

No Events found!