Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2016 20:00

XPS 8500

It is very poor on Dells part to say that a system is upgradeable will not handle windows 10, if I would have known about this sooner I would have gone to HP.

Is this a switch and bait company, and I paid good money only to find Dell  will not provide new drivers for Win 10.

But I have the last laugh, since I purchase PC's for my company, Dell has now been taken off our list of PC providers.

46 Posts

April 2nd, 2016 01:00

Hi RoughCoat,

Thanks for the great LAUGH on Aprils Fools day!
For those of us even slightly familiar with operating systems upgrades, we were LAUGHING OUR ******** OFF!

Your short post has well over a dozen jokes.
WELL DONE SIR!! :-)

I LOVE how your "company" has some person in charge of ordering PCs that clearly has never ever ever ever heard of Google.  Wow, they almost had to call the ambulance I was laughing so hard!!

Then, there's the part of having the person in the "company" not having the the thought to spend $40 on a disk drive (assuming they didn't already have MANY old ones sitting around) and seeing what a evaluation Windows 10 install would do.

However, I have to agree that one of the best implied jokes is that it would make any sense for a company to keep OLD PCs (that by definition are subject to a HIGHER likely hood of failure) when a complete OS and program install is done.

I won't even get into the LMAO areas that involve running Windows10 in a FREE VM to see if there are any big issues.  Yea, that doesn't test the networking chips.  But, $10 and a quick check on Amazon would solve ANY networking problems with an USB adapter.

Then, there's the subtle issue that even Windows8 goes and "auto magically" gets the needed drivers for the PC.  Somehow Windows10 even greatly improves the "auto magically" - impressive.

Heck, my "old" custom-built ASUS motherboard, which was one of the first for the 2nd generation Intel i-series processors, runs XP, Win7, Win8, Win10 at bootup (bootup by disk option) just fine.  Along with running all of those OS's in VMs.  Heck, ASUS doesn't even have Win8 drivers for the board on their site.  Then again, imho, anyone that does custom-built PCs should YAWN at issues like that.

Thanks again for the great laugh!

Heck, even though I'm NOT an IT person, I know that my fellow co-worker engineers are going to get a HUGE laugh when I tell them about the fun post that you made.

Also, THANKS for not saying that you'd go with Lenovo.  Yea, that would likely go over a lot of heads of people that aren't familiar with IT, PCs, or spyware built-in the BIOS.
Imho, if you had that, then there's is a 99.9999999999999% chance that I would've passed out from laughing so hard.
Again, well done and well thought out sir!

Thanks again for the April fools fun! :-)

Fwiw, I do not work for Dell.  And, I am not a Dell rockstar.  So, in other words, I can "speak the truth", since I in no way represent Dell.

2.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2016 12:00

I thought I was the only one that used Auto Magically! lol.  

TLDR; you can always try using windows 8.1 drivers if a windows 10 driver doesn't exist.  

One thing I really hate (all though understand) is why people get ticked when their computer isn't compatible with program X or Z.  Sure its *** especially if you bought your computer 2 or 3 years ago, but ALL computer companies have limitations on what they can provide in terms of drivers, especially when they rely on other companies to provide those drivers.  Examples being Intel, Realtek, Creative, etc.   If those companies do not provide Windows 10 drivers for your XPS 8500 or whatever, Dell can't do anything about it.  If Microsoft's compatibility tool states you can install Windows 10, then give it a whirl and test it out, but you are relying on GENERIC drivers provided by Microsoft to make your machine work.

Regardless I have worked in IT and know the testing involved before upgrading machines and understand that many companies are relied upon to provide you with your brand and model of computer.  I personally have checked various sites based off of older models of computers from Lenovo/HP/Toshiba and found that more then half of my machines i've owned are not provided with Windows 10 drivers, but are compatible with Windows 10.

No Events found!