Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2015 13:00

XPS 8700 & AMD Radeon R9 270

I purchased  an XPS 8700 with an AMD Radeon R9 270 in the UK in August, and it was delivered to my UK address.

I shipped the machine to Cyprus (where I live for most of the year) and it worked fine for about 10 days.

Then disaster - the Radeon R9 failed - rubbish on the screen - diagnostics reported 'video memory integrity test discrepancy'.

To overcome the problem temporarily I removed the Radeon R9 and a friend loaned my an XFX card which I installed in the 8700. This works fine.

I returned to the UK, bringing the faulty Radeon R9 with me and contacted Dell (UK) for a replacement. However Dell Support want me to ship the system to them (complete with faulty card). The return shipping cost is around £600 - this does not make sense.

Can anyone here from Dell UK advise me how I can get a replacement AMD Radeon R9 270 card for the one I brought with me?

TIA

October 29th, 2015 04:00

Just to close off this thread - I received a replacement AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card from Dell a couple of days ago and the faulty card was collected yesterday.

41 Posts

October 21st, 2015 18:00

I had an MSI r9 270 in my xps 8700 for a year before I upgraded to a gtx 970. If the return shipping is that much I'd just consider getting yourself a new gpu. I'm not saying that you should have to, just saying that unfortunately it might be the easier option. If you're absolutely sure the issue the actual card (have u tried it in another rig?) then maybe get a different one. 

To be honest, you could get a better GPU for the money as well... R9 380 4gb or the evga GTX 960 4gb compact would both be better options for around $200 and shouldn't put a strain on your stock psu. As a lifelong radeon fanboy i decided to switch to the GTX 970 and I couldn't be happier.

October 22nd, 2015 01:00

Thanks Max. I had a long conversation with Dell support yesterday who finally agreed (after some persuasion)  to send me a replacement AMD Radeon R9 270.

I had considered buying a different card but all the ones a looked at needed a minimum power requirement of 500w - and  think if I had gone down that route I would have needed to upgrade the system's PSU as well.

I'm certain the card is faulty - a friend loaned my an XFX R9 270 that I have been using until the matter was resolved.

I'm not into gaming - the main reason for buying the system was digital photography. I also bought Dell's 27 inch 4K monitor.

No Events found!