Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2013 11:00

XPS 8700 Audio Connections

The XPS 8700 has 6 audio connections: gray, red, black, green, orange, blue.  The only icon I can decipher is the red one (microphone).

Which colors would I use to connect an older set of speakers with a) Subwoofer and two speakers and b) just the two standard speakers.

Sorry, I've Googled and search and downloaded the XPS 8700 user manual, all of which returned no usable information so far.  Thanks for any help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 11th, 2013 06:00

Hi jbeachy,

The little symbols next to the audio jacks are supposed to indicate what they're for but I find them equally baffling. Fortunately, the color schemes are standard.

green TRS 3.5mm stereo output, front channels
black TRS 3.5mm stereo output, rear channels
grey TRS 3.5mm stereo output, side channels
gold TRS 3.5mm dual output, center and subwoofer
blue TRS 3.5mm stereo input, line level
pink TRS† 3.5mm mono microphone input

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 13th, 2013 17:00

I have a two speaker plus sub system (Klipsch) with the green plug from the controller plugged into the green jack on the back of the computer and it works fine. I think that's all you need.

2 Posts

August 12th, 2013 18:00

Hi jbeachy,

The little symbols next to the audio jacks are supposed to indicate what they're for but I find them equally baffling. Fortunately, the color schemes are standard.

green TRS 3.5mm stereo output, front channels
black TRS 3.5mm stereo output, rear channels
grey TRS 3.5mm stereo output, side channels
gold TRS 3.5mm dual output, center and subwoofer
blue TRS 3.5mm stereo input, line level
pink TRS† 3.5mm mono microphone input

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  So it appears I can't use my older simple two-speaker-plus subwoofer speakers where there are three connections (left, right, and sub)?

1 Message

November 18th, 2013 00:00

Hello,

I have been trying to find out the Bit depth and KHz f the onboard sound card. Do you know what the KHz and Bit depth capability are?

Thank you

Karl

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 20th, 2013 04:00

Hi Karl,

Please provide the model of your Dell desktop and the model of the audio adapter.

No Events found!