Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2016 17:00

XPS 8700 Black screen with Cursor

Hi,

After a reboot earlier today, I started having problems booting.  It either just sits with the Dell Logo and spinning dots, or does "preparing automatic repair" then goes to a black screen with a cursor.    I have been tring in vain to run a recovery or boot into safe mode, with no luck.  I upgraded this machine to Windows 10 last year to stop microsoft from pestering me...  I Any suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 10:00

What color is the power button and is it steady or blinking when it won't boot?

If you reboot and IMMEDIATELY press F12, can you get to that menu?  Look for the option to run the diagnostics and run all of them including RAM and extended hard drive tests. Make note of any error messages...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 10:00

This is the windows 10 spinning dot black screen of death.

You will need to reinstall windows.

Auto repair will run for days on end but will not be fixed.

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 18:00

Ok, Speedstep.  How do I do this if I can;t get it to boot to recovery mode?  The windows 10 install was a downloaded upgrade.

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 18:00

I spamed F12 and eventually got a repair to run....no errors.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 27th, 2016 14:00

There is no recovery. only reinstall from scratch.  Its also possible the drive is bad so you would need a new working drive before a reinstall will work.

4 Posts

December 27th, 2016 15:00

That is not true.  Since I didn't hear back I did some googling using my outdated knowledge of recovery options on older versions and ran across this site.  

support.microsoft.com/.../windows-10-recovery-options

Then followed the "Use installation media to restore your PC " instructions on my laptop to create a bootable USB drive.  Then I just used system restore to go back to one that works.  Yo Speedstep.   You are way too pessimistic, speedstep!  Are you sure you dont work in IT support?  Sounds like the old days of "wipe/reload"   :)

No Events found!