Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2014 13:00

XPS 8700 - Blue Screen - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I have a new XPS 8700 and have been getting BSoD frequently:

Created by using BlueScreenView

Dump File Crash Time Bug Check String Bug Check Code Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Caused By Driver Caused By Address File Description Product Name Company File Version Processor Crash Address Stack Address 1 Stack Address 2 Stack Address 3 Computer Name Full Path Processors Count Major Version Minor Version Dump File Size Dump File Time
010814-22953-01.dmp 2014-01-08 1:40:12 AM IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000a 00000000`0000000a 00000000`0000000d 00000000`00000001 fffff801`3d0df43f nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+1abaae NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.65 NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.65 NVIDIA Corporation 9.18.13.3165 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+14dca0         C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010814-22953-01.dmp 4 15 9600 297,080 2014-01-08 7:02:47 AM 

Created by using BlueScreenView

Dump File Crash Time Bug Check String Bug Check Code Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Caused By Driver Caused By Address File Description Product Name Company File Version Processor Crash Address Stack Address 1 Stack Address 2 Stack Address 3 Computer Name Full Path Processors Count Major Version Minor Version Dump File Size Dump File Time
010714-13687-01.dmp 2014-01-07 9:44:47 PM KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x0000001e ffffffff`c0000005 fffff800`a31f9a4d 00000000`00000000 ffffffff`ffffffff Rt630x64.sys Rt630x64.sys+1a662 Realtek 8101E/8168/8169 NDIS 6.30 64-bit Driver Realtek 8136/8168/8169 PCI/PCIe Adapters Realtek 8.007.1025.2012 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+14dca0         C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010714-13687-01.dmp 4 15 9600 297,112 2014-01-07 9:45:53 PM 

Any help would be appreciated.  My apologies if I haven't given enough information, but I haven't had issues like this with a BRAND NEW PC before.

Darcy

3 Posts

April 15th, 2014 08:00

Hi. Here is my long story. If you just want the "fix" that seems to work for me, skip to the bottom.

I observe the same symptoms: BSOD-reboot with similar reason codes. I am not particularly knowledgeable about recent Dell PCs or Windows 8.x, and so this post may actually be more helpful to people who don't want to learn about all these internals and deal with driver updates and reinstalls, which are always simple in theory and painful in practice. (In 2014 I should not have to deal with this 

<ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>the way I did in the early 90s.)

I bought the Dell XPS Desktop (8700) in Jan2014 with Win8 and upgraded to Win8.1. The Win8.1 upgrade process was very difficult, but I now believe the upgrade problems were due to these occasional BSOD-reboots that I hadn't yet recognized. There was also a Windows update that must be removed and reinstalled manually. Anyway, eventually I managed to complete the upgrade and the Win8.1 part of things seems stable.

I observe that the BSOD-reboot usually occurs when the PC is idle or near idle. When it's just sitting there, I'll get the these BSOD-reboots pretty regularly, sometimes as often as every 15 minutes or so. However, when I'm doing something slightly significant (e.g. TurboTax, Thunderbird client, PDF doc) I don't observe them nearly as much.

I also observe that the PC seems much quieter (less or no fan noise) when idle. Based on this I theorize that the PC has some stupid green power-saving mode that maybe slows the clock speed and varies fan speed and other things based on temperature, utilization, etc. If I had wanted this

<ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>, I would have bought a laptop, not a desktop.

Anyway, here is my theory. It maybe IS a driver/hardware issue related to these power-saving measures. I think something about how the PC enters or runs in this "low-energy" mode is flawed, causing one or more hiccups that eventually lead to some sort of corruption, or perceived corruption, that yields the BSOD. I do't know if the problem is memory stability, memory wait states, bus integrity, CPU stability, etc., and I don't care.

There are always two approaches at this point: (1) fix the root cause, or (2) avoid it with a workaround. Based on other posts detailing advice from others (such as generic reload drivers or Win8, which is as useless as a mechanic who mindlessly swaps parts until the weather warms up and the problem seems to go away) and experience of others with Dell customer support (long wait times, and they don't know what the issue is, or they're not telling, and they definitely don't care), I'm not going there. I'd rather eat the $800 and start over with an an Acer PC than waste my time in futility.

So I choose the workaround approach, and I think I have one. Run something that keeps the PC moderately busy all the time. I do this by running Windows PowerShell in Admin mode and letting it loop forever with the following:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $i=99999900; while (1) { $j=[System.Math]::Sqrt($i); write-host $i,:,$j; $i=($i+1)%99999999; }

I also let TaskManager>Performance run, and observe a sustained CPU utilization of about 15%. (I also observe "Speed~=3.7Ghz, which is strange since it says the Max speed is 3.4Ghz. I'm ignoring this.)

I am not yet concluding 100% that this does the trick. However, it SEEMS to. So far I have observed via Task Manager an uptime of several days and no BSOD-reboots. So this seems to work, at the cost of maybe 10% of your CPU. Again, the difference is pretty dramatic: several days uptime so far versus unpredictable BSOD-reboots as often as several an hour.

The only reason I bought this clunker is b/c my WinXP (running on a PC I built from components I bought at NewEgg that would experience uptimes of several MONTHS) is no longer supported, and I wanted a Windows machine to run TurboTax. If you're this sort of user, the 10% CPU tax won't kill you. If not, you should avoid Windows and Dell; just build your own PC from components and put Linux on it.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else willing to employ this workaround has success. Please post your results and I'll check back on this thread if I can find it.

Good luck.

9 Posts

January 8th, 2014 14:00

It appears my bug reports were cut off in the post.  Here is a link to the minidump files:

https://app.box.com/s/pkh61fr6r1gkqzzoxwi0

2 Posts

January 9th, 2014 08:00

I had a similar experience with an XPS 8700 I recently bought directly from Dell. I got blue screens every several hours and the Bug Check String always changed. I tried to figure out if it was a hardware issue, especially RAM, which it was not. Then I tried to see which driver would cause it but I did not succeed.

Finally I just reformatted and partitioned the hard disk and completely reinstalled Windows 8 (with a DVD-ROM I ordered from Dell online) and now everything has been working great.

So, my advice is first, make sure it is not a hardware issue, then do a clean install which is better anyway.

9 Posts

January 9th, 2014 09:00

Thanks for the reply!

I have this sneaking suspicion it MAY have something to do with my 2TB Seagate Expansion Desktop drive.  The drive worked 100% fine on my previous desktop (the predecessor to this new PC), but is acting a little "strange" on the 8700 (slow awaking from sleep, drive disappearing then quickly reappearing in File Explorer, Event Viewer: "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation.", "Disk 2 has been surprise removed."). HOWEVER, no errors are found in chkdsk at Command Line and all "SeaTools" diagnostic tests PASSED.

I had a tech support call with Dell last night, whereby they thought it may be the Wireless/Bluetooth adapter (they uninstalled and re-installed an updated driver), but I have since received a couple new Blue Screens: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (0x00000050) and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0x0000000a).  Tech support will be calling this evening to follow up and I guess we will go over these new errors.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 9th, 2014 10:00

Have you run it for a while without the Seagate drive connected? See if that solves the problem.

I saw another thread recently about USB Seagate drives causing issues on the XPS8700 that seemed to be caused by external drive. You might go to the Seagate site and see if there's a firmware update for the specific drive model you have and for the version of Windows running on the XPS.

9 Posts

January 9th, 2014 10:00

Thanks for the reply!  There was not any firmware update for the drive when I checked Seagate site.

I did run it for most of one day without the drive plugged in and did not get a Blue Screen.  However, today I have it plugged in (since overnight it's been running) and haven't had a Blue Screen either.  I still get the following errors (in Event Viewer) when I explore folders in that drive:

- An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk4\DR4 during a paging operation.

Followed by:

- Disk 4 has been surprise removed.

Followed by:

Volume M: (\Device\HarddiskVolume12) is healthy.  No action is needed.

I know I'm being stubborn, but I would like to exhaust any PC issues that may be causing this before I write off the drive because, as I mentioned, I had ZERO issues with it on my former PC (Dell Dimension, Windows Vista).

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 9th, 2014 11:00

Have you tried installing the latest chipset driver's from Intel's site?

9 Posts

January 9th, 2014 11:00

Thanks for the reply!  I have not tried that (I'm a little inexperienced in updating hardware/drivers).  Do you have any instructions or links I can check?

9 Posts

January 9th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for the great suggestion, RoHe!  I will definitely try this.  One question:   for your step #1, would it be ok if I shut down the pc, disconnected the UBS cables from the PC (except for mouse and keyboard), then rebooted and followed the rest of your steps?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 9th, 2014 12:00

Try this:

1. Disconnect all USB devices except mouse and keyboard and reboot
  2. Open Device Manager and expand list under USB
  3. Double-click on each USB entry and look for a Power Management tab
  4. Click each Power Management tab you find and UNcheck that stupid box "Allow PC to turn off this device..."
  5. When you've unchecked all of them, reboot the PC

See if that fixes the problem with the drive being "surprise removed". (What moron wrote that error message??)

As for "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk4 during a paging operation" message, I see that same message regularly with all my Seagate USB2 and USB3 drives when they're connected to a Dimension 8400 running XP.

Never been a real problem for me. I suspect it's caused by the delay between the time a command (eg, read or write) is issued to the external drive before that drive spins up from its resting state because I have Seagate's FreeAgent utilities set to turn the drive off after 10 min of inactivity. Once the drive spins up, I won't get that message again until after >10 min of inactivity. Again, this is entirely supposition on my part but after more than 5 years (knock wood!) of regular use, the oldest of the USB drives is still working like a champ despite all those error messages.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 9th, 2014 17:00

Either way is fine.

7 Posts

January 15th, 2014 16:00

Were you able to get this issue resolved? if so, how? I am having a similar issue with my new XPS 8700 and it is frustrating.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Were you able to get this issue resolved? if so, how? I am having a similar issue with my new XPS 8700 and it is frustrating.

A bunch of different problems were discussed in this thread. Exactly which problem(s) are you having, and have you tried any of the solutions offered here?

7 Posts

Random BSOD on my computer. I had this computer replaced a few days ago and the only thing differently I did today was plug in my external hard drive. II set it up with a brand new SSD after getting it, so it's a fresh new windows 8 install, all drivers up to date. I do not have Windows 8.1 yet. It is a western digital 1 TB essentials harddrive USB 2.0.

The BSOD error I received was the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. In fact, right as I was writing this post I got up to check something in the kitchen and came back, with the computer completely frozen on this screen. What are the odds of that? First time experiencing a freeze up, I waited about 10 minutes or so and nothing happened, not even the cursor blinking in the post area. Control alt delete, everything and so I had to force it to shut down. The external harddrive was NOT plugged in when my computer froze.

011514-9515-01.dmp 1/15/2014 9:19:34 AM

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0x0000000a fffff803`b0170fa8 00000000`00000002 00000000`00000000 fffff803`abe9f1f6

nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+1abaae

NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.65

NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.65

NVIDIA Corporation 9.18.13.3165 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+5a440

C:\Windows\Minidump\011514-9515-01.dmp 8 15 9200 297,072

1/15/2014 9:20:42 AM

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 15th, 2014 17:00

Looks like you have an nVidia add-in video card from that the dump says.

Suggest you download the latest compatible nVidia video driver, uninstall the existing video driver in Device Manager, reboot and install the new one. If the new hardware wizard launches when you reboot, you probably should cancel that and manually install the driver file you downloaded by double-clicking on it.

No Events found!