Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2013 14:00

XPS 8700 Connection Three Monitors

I just bought the XPS 8700 i7, nvidia 645 graphics card..

I'm trying to connect a third monitor...

I have two monitors connected now with a usb vga adapter the see2 150...  so my connection at this point is one monitor connected to the dvi port and the see2 has the other monitor connected to a usb port.... I was trying to connect the third monitor the the hdmi port... is the possible?  Do I need another usb adapter?  

Thank you.

John

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

December 1st, 2013 17:00

What input ports are available on your 3 monitors?

You should be able to connect 2 monitors to the video card via its DVi and HDMI ports, though you will need a HDMI>VGA converter or HDMI>DVI-d single link adaptor, assuming your monitors have either of those ports.

If the video card's DVI port is DVI-i, it should also support VGA with only a DVI-i>VGA adaptor. 

If you can get either of your monitors to work with HDMI or Display Port (with appropriate converter, adaptor etc), try connecting it to either the onboard HDMI or Display Port connectors, Assuming that works, you can use an onboard connector for one monitor and the video card for 2, or continue to use the USB>VGA for one.

3 Posts

December 1st, 2013 17:00

Additional question:

Also, can I connect the hdmi cable from the monitor to the tower??  or do I need a vga to hdmi adapter...??

3 Posts

December 4th, 2013 17:00

Thanks for the help..

I was able to get the three monitors connected via your converter advice..  Thank you!

but...

the third monitor is having issues with the browser not being able to react... When I move a browser over to that screen... the browser does not react...I can't scroll or click on a link.... I can "x" out or move the browser back to the other two screens without a problem...and the resolution for the third screen is very low... Am I limited to how high I can adjust the resolution on the screens because of the video card???   I appreciate the help...

John

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

December 5th, 2013 10:00

It might be helpful if you tell us exactly how each monitor is connected because "third monitor" isn't very informative and I can't see it from here . :emotion-2:

Does it make a difference which monitor is monitor 3? Or does the same thing happen regardless of which one is #3?

Does monitor 3 have driver software that you need to install so the system sees it as more than a "generic" display?

Have you looked in the nVidia control panel for options to set resolution on monitor 3? There are also some options in Windows to that may need tweaking.

No Events found!