Highlighted
pmarmorris
1 Copper

RE: XPS 8700 HDD SSD Cache reports multiple errors

Jump to solution

Yeah, I probably don't need a new HDD... however, I've got a lot of music and images on the C-drive, probably more than I have room for on the other drives (at least without dividing them up... Probably other odds and ends I'll have to hunt out... just seemed almost easier to mirror the old onto a new then back after rebuilding the RAID drive(s). I'll have to do some measuring... But I don't need another HDD, unless I add it to my cloud drive as an auxiliary, which would be via USB and I don't know how well that would work... one humongous virtual cloud drive wouldn't be bad. Maybe I'd start using the cloud drive as intended instead of as a NAS. 8-)

0 Kudos
pmarmorris
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Good question. There is only one mSATA SSD port that I can see on the motherboard. I suppose there might be a way to get an mSATA adapter  for the standard SATA connectors?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

There are mSATA external drive enclosures.

The other missing piece will be to make the old SSD visible to the user so you can copy the files onto the new SSD in an mSATA drive enclosure.  Normally the cache SSD is invisible to the user and only visible to the OS to prevent you from writing files on it which would mess up the RAID array....

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos