Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2014 21:00

XPS 8700 No boot device available

Hi there,

I've got a problem when I start my XPS8700 (with Windows 8.1)

It stuck at the following message:

No boot device available.

SATA 0: Installed

SATA 1: Installed

SATA 2: None

SATA 3: None

SATA 4: None

SATA 5: Installed

Strike the F1 key to retry boot, F2 to run the setup utility.

I tried to go to the BIOS setting, changed Boot Mode to Legacy, then rebooted. But I got the following error:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Can someone help me out here? Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 18th, 2014 06:00

Hi Imbanubis,

Your hard drive may be failing, so you should boot to your Dell drivers and utilities disc and run the Dell diagnostics on your drive.

January 4th, 2015 08:00

Hi 

Having the same issue with no reason for it. Switched on PC after a week of brake and the same appeared on the screen.

Have you found a solutions how to fix the problem?

Maxim

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 4th, 2015 15:00

Hi Maxim,

Your hard drive may be failing, so you should boot to your Dell drivers and utilities disc and run the Dell diagnostics on your drive.

4 Posts

July 9th, 2015 19:00

Mine is doing the same thing.  I replaced the hard drive, reinstalled windows and a week later.  "Reboot and select proper boot device"  Not thinking it's the hard drive...

4 Posts

November 25th, 2015 10:00

I was having the same issue and it turns out to be a corrupt bios..pull the bios jumper, set it to the opposite side and turn your pc on to flash the drive then replace the jumper back to the original position and all is good..hope this helps anyone else with the issue

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 25th, 2015 12:00

I was having the same issue and it turns out to be a corrupt bios..pull the bios jumper, set it to the opposite side and turn your pc on to flash the drive then replace the jumper back to the original position and all is good..hope this helps anyone else with the issue

Which model Dell PC do you have?

4 Posts

November 25th, 2015 13:00

Yeah probably should have mentioned that ..Dell XPS 8700

2 Posts

November 30th, 2016 17:00

BigD69 - this is the best answer i have seen on this.

I have a similar problem - "no boot device available...".

Two interesting complications, 1) it only happens intermittently, and 2) if i unplug the power cord from the case - it works (boots up fine)! Then it runs for a few days and happens again.

So, do you think this may still be a corrupt bios? And if so, can you give a few more details on how to locate the bios jumper?

Thanks much!

4 Posts

December 7th, 2016 15:00

Spoke, did you receive my reply?

No Events found!