Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2017 07:00

XPS 8700: Upgraded Graphics Card, Now 2 Beeps

Hello All,

I recently upgraded my graphics card from the GTX 745 to a GTX 1060.  I did my research and have found many others who have made this upgrade successfully.  But now that it's in, the computer tries to start up and beeps twice, which is a dell code for a RAM issue.  I have four sticks of RAM, 32g total.

Things I have tried and still got the same 2-beep result:

-Re-seating all of the RAM

-Removed all of the RAM and the graphics card

-Putting only one stick of RAM in the first slot

-Pulling out the small silver watch battery on the mother board and placing in back in after a few minutes

-Things I have not done:

-Update BIOS

-Re-insert old card

Any ideas or suggestions?  I'm avoiding the conclusion of a mother board failure just yet.  I was in a low static area with a grounding bracelet.  

1.2K Posts

February 10th, 2017 07:00

First of all, did you upgrade to BIOS A10 for Win7 or Win8/81 or A11 for Windows 10. It is needed for all nVidia GTX 9xx and 10xx cards.

I would:

- remove the 1060

- connect a monitor to the integrated Motherboard graphics and sort out the boot issues

- upgrade BIOS to A10 or A11 (if not already there)

- boot into Windows and remove all traces of the nVidia graphics card using DDU www.guru3d.com/.../display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

- then re-install the card ensuring all the extra power cables are connected to the card.

see how it goes.

good luck.

2 Posts

February 10th, 2017 17:00

I did check the BIOS - all good there.  The 2 beep code was correct in that the RAM was loose.  These new 9 and 10 series cards are massive and I bumped them loose.  I thought I had the sticks in all the way, but I took it to the local electronics store and a tech diagnosed and fixed it right away for free.  In short, the computer is up and running with the new graphics card and I also installed a solid state drive while I was at.

No Events found!