Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2015 12:00

XPS 8700 - Win 10 hangs at Dell Logo

New Dell XPS8700. Upgraded from Win 8.1 to Windows 10 and worked fine for about a month & half.

On start-up, it now hangs on the Dell logo or when trying boot options to start from USB or recovery DVD go to blank black screen. Dell phone support sucked but they sent me a recovery USB drive (to factory set Win 8.1), however start-up would still hang at the Dell logo. Tried all different boot combinations from CD/DVD, USB, OS/Boot partition, SecureBoot ON/OFF, UEFI/Legacy bootup but cannot proceed beyond Dell logo or black/blank screen. I do not have a original Windows 10 OS disc, however did a download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to USB and PC does not boot up from that media either, even when getting to F12 and choosing the USB option to boot from.  Same result when forcing it to start from a DVD containing install files or recovery image.

Used an original Windows 7 Ultimate installation CD to start and get to command prompt to recover files from C: drive and can browse through all folders and files. Copied user data to USB drive. So HDD appears OK.  Performed HW Diagnostics (thorough option as well) on F12 and all HW is ok.

I saw another thread on 8700 with a similar problem (but that user had more startup options beyond logo/blank screen) but another user (ListeningStone) responded with an almost identical issue to mine and he had returned 4 out of 5 XPS 8700s he purchased which had this problem... That's quite bothersome.

Any ideas? Please help!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 4th, 2015 16:00

:emotion-2:

Windows 8.1 Upgrade to Windows 10 freezing, hanging or failing ?

en.community.dell.com/.../19652955

5 Posts

October 4th, 2015 18:00

Not an upgrade issue.

8700 had Win 8.1 pre-installed and right off the bat on start-up offered to upgrade to Win 10.  Everything was alright for about a month & half, but experienced issues when re-starting and would hang. Power off & on helped the few times I encountered this, until about a week ago it just would not start-up and hangs at Dell logo or with a blank black screen. What I find surprising is that the start-up recovery options with USB or DVD or with an install disc (more details in my original post) do not result in anything and still stops at Dell logo...

No Events found!