Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2015 08:00

XPS 8700 Won't POST or Display after changing to Uefi Secured

I was about to clean install win 10 pro and do it in a Uefi secured boot mode. When I changed the bios to Uefi secured and rebooted I never got video again or even a dell logo or post screen. I tried resetting the cmos, taking out the cmos battery, changing video cards, nothing has worked. There have been no beeps or anything to sound like there's a problem. I put a disc in the drive and it spun up then down again. I don't know what else I can do or what I did to cause this.

I originally was in legacy boot mode before changing to Uefi secured. This is on my dell zips 8700. What can I do? Thanks for any help!

331 Posts

October 24th, 2015 13:00

Hi Astyanax,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Please disconnect all peripheral devices from the system and then disconnect the hard drive, optical drive and remove the video card. Reseat the power connector on the motherboard and memory modules, test the system with the onboard VGA. Let us know the status of the power light. 

6 Posts

October 24th, 2015 19:00

I figured it out. In the process of clearing out the CMOS settings, I found the crucial nugget of information that you have to have the computer plugged into the wall when you do the jumper change in order for the CMOS to be cleared out. The CMOS battery isn't enough to do this apparently so it wasn't working. After plugging it in and doing it, it worked.

Is it usual that if you change your UEFI to "secured" and your hardware isn't compatible with it that you can lose video to the system and the only way to get it back is to clear out the CMOS??

331 Posts

October 25th, 2015 13:00

If the settings was not saved in the Extended System Configuration Data it can occasionally become corrupted due to the power events. Due to which it can go to a No Post or No Video scenario.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

No Events found!