Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2014 18:00

XPS 8700 and ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Molex adapter? Is my power supply not compatible?

I did not get anything related to a Molex cord/adapter with my computer or the sound card. Nor did the manual even mention what a molex cord adapter was or looked like. Apparently, most people get one with a power supply when they buy a PC. If I did get one with this computer and put it somewhere, then I will feel ridiculous. If something crazy happens like this computer is not compatible with this card, then I will be pretty ticked off. It will pretty much be a lemon at that point considering what I bought it for and the issues I have had.

Regardless of all of this, I was just lazy and decided not to research into what I actually needed for this product and left it up to the employee at future shop when I went to get this and asked him if everything would be alright with my set up when I bought it.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 5th, 2014 18:00

Based on the User's Manual, it looks like the card does require a 4 pin power supply connector. You will need to open the XPS 8700, go to the power supply and look for an unused cable. Then buy a converter cable to go from it to a 4 pin molex female connector which will plug into the card. But the larger problem is that page 2 states that the card only has Windows MCE2005/Vista/XP support.

November 5th, 2014 21:00

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmmm that makes no sense with the windows compatibility.... I have seem to have seen many people using it with modern machines. 

Edit: The box I have says It supports windows 8. I guess it is a matter of getting the converter which caused the confusion all along. Where in the manual does it mention the molex connector?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 6th, 2014 05:00

Sata to Molex power is easy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816038

You can see the Molex connection on the card.

Its not there for "looks cool purposes." Clearly states the card will not work at all without power. In secure Boot mode WIN8.1 machines will not allow the card or drivers to install if there isn't a certificate in BIOS for that card.  This means IF it works at all you MUST USE CSM Legacy mode on Windows 8.x certified UEFI Bios machines.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Audio_Card/Xonar_Essence_STX/E7806_Xonar_Essence_STX.pdf

All cards like this have another issue.

If they are from 2000 or earlier they are PCI 2.0 and PCI 2.3 unversal cards are required.

There is also an issue with PCI-E 1.0 not working in PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 bus.   Newer machines do not downclock the PCI-E bus to 1.0 speed and therefore have conflicts with cards.

The 3RD issue is CSM Legacy vs Secure Boot.  Hardware and Drivers WILL NOT INSTALL if they do not have a certificate in bios approved by microsoft.

The REQUIREMENT FOR UNIVERSAL cards more than 10 years ago is not a Dell issue it has to do with Chipsets that have CPU's that run at less than 5V.  This is why ISA bus cards are also no longer supported along with 5V PCMCIA cards being replaced with 3.3V cardbus cards. The DIMENSION 1100/B110 and I Believe the OPTIPLEX GX110 and GX170 are all DDR systems with 5V PCI capability.

Newer INTEL and AMD chipsets are PCI 2.3 meaning the last Chipset that supported 5V cards was the 800 series like the 810 845 and 850 chipset.

900 Series chipsets like the GX620 and 745 use are PCI 2.3  and 3.3V only.  The most RECENT chipsets Remove the 32 bit PCI slots altogether.

Conventional PCI

Spec Year Change   
PCI 1.0 1992 Original issue
PCI 2.0 1993 Incorporated connector and add-in card specification
PCI 2.1 1995 Incorporated clarifications and added 66 MHz chapter
PCI 2.2 1998 Incorporated ECNs, and improved readability
PCI 2.3 2002 Incorporated ECNs, errata, and deleted 5 volt only signaling
PCI 3.0 2002 Removed support for the 5.0 volt keyed system board connector
No Events found!