Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 24th, 2014 11:00

XPS 8700 constant crashes and BSOD

My Dell XPS 8700 has recurring crashes that I cannot figure out. It crashes several times a day. Sometimes it crashes with a BSOD, sometimes without. It seems to crash more when i am browsing the web with several windows open (which browser doesn't seem to matter), or when the system is idle. I am running Windows 8.1 x64.

I have run the Dell diagnostics several times and everything passes. I have run the windows memory test several times and it always passes. I ran several Windows Defender full scans with the latest updates and nothing was found. I have run "sfc /scannow" and there are no conflicts detected. I ran chkdsk several times without issues. I downloaded the most recent drivers. I even did a system restore and I still have the issue.

I've attached a screenshot from the "My Dell" program of one error that seems to happen a lot.

Please tell me what files to attach to help find the issue.

1 Attachment

20 Posts

January 1st, 2015 20:00

Solved

Turned off "Intel Speedstep" in the BIOS. Everything is fine now. Goes into idle, idles indefinitely, goes to sleep, wakes from sleep, browses, etc without a single crash.

I don't know why or how, I am just happy to have it stable now.

I hope this is of help to others with similar issues.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

December 24th, 2014 11:00

Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open case and carefully reseat RAM modules and PCI-e cards in their slots. Check that all cables are securely connected at both ends.

Use one of the methods described here to reboot in Safe Mode. If an option is offered for Safe Mode + Networking, select that one

Then run the system for a while in Safe Mode to see if it crashes. If not, something loading at startup (eg a driver) may be causing the problem.

20 Posts

December 24th, 2014 12:00

I did the part about reseating the ram, cards and cables. No effect.

I will try the safe mode thing in the next few days.

I am already fairly certain it is a driver.

20 Posts

December 24th, 2014 13:00

Just FYI: The Dell 1703 wireless/bluetooth driver provided on their website is faulty. (as noted in at least one other thread here) If it is installed, bluetooth no longer works correctly. In particular, it will no longer correctly connect to bluetooth audio devices. I uninstalled it and the bluetooth is working fine again - the computer still crashes, but bluetooth works. I have the device disabled to aid in troubleshooting the crashes.

12 Posts

December 24th, 2014 13:00

Try getting a photo/ screenshot of your latest BSOD.  The code could help tremendously, as of now, my best guess is that it's a video card driver issue.

20 Posts

December 25th, 2014 14:00

Here is the info on recent crashes from the "Who Crashed" program"

System Information (local)

computer name: DELLXPS8700
windows version: Windows 8.1 , 6.2, build: 9200
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: XPS 8700, Dell Inc., 0KWVT8
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 34308562944 total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 12/25/2014 10:21:58 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122514-12796-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0xA9A5)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0xB500190637, 0xFFFFD000238D9E38, 0xFFFFD000238D9640, 0xFFFFF800277106FD)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 12/25/2014 10:21:58 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0xA9A5)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0xB500190637, 0xFFFFD000238D9E38, 0xFFFFD000238D9640, 0xFFFFF800277106FD)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12/24/2014 5:23:01 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122314-12187-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hidclass.sys (0xFFFFF801DB8030B7)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x7, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF801DB8030B7)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\hidclass.sys
description: Hid Class Library
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Tue 12/23/2014 8:26:25 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122314-16250-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x21DD5F)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF8001CA94D95, 0x2, 0x8, 0xFFFFF8001CA94D95)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 347.09
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 347.09
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 347.09 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Tue 12/23/2014 7:55:41 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122314-13515-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14F1A0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8021B4D8479)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 12/23/2014 4:27:25 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122214-13046-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF80200000001, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF802546F3EF9)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 12/23/2014 12:40:18 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122214-15781-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80394710E83, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Tue 12/23/2014 12:18:45 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122214-16984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ndu.sys (Ndu+0x4E1D)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800D0B6DE1D, 0xFFFFF802EB8EFFC8, 0xFFFFF802EB8EF7D0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ndu.sys
description: Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
Google query: Microsoft Corporation KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

On Tue 12/23/2014 12:12:23 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122214-10250-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF8031F699D05, 0x2, 0x8, 0xFFFFF8031F699D05)

On Mon 12/22/2014 11:17:47 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122214-16015-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF80082596860, 0x6, 0x8, 0xFFFFF80082596860)

20 Posts

Just  FYI: As far as the HIDclass error, the only HID devices I have are the standard Dell USB keyboard and standard Dell USB mouse. 

20 Posts

I have disabled ndu.sys in the registry.

20 Posts

December 25th, 2014 15:00

And another crash...

On Thu 12/25/2014 11:18:08 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122514-10859-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbxhci.sys (0xFFFFF801D7912372)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x107, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF801D7912372)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbxhci.sys
description: USB XHCI Driver

On Thu 12/25/2014 11:18:08 PM GMT your computer crashed
This was probably caused by the following module: usbxhci.sys (USBXHCI+0x21372)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x107, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF801D7912372)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbxhci.sys
description: USB XHCI Driver

20 Posts

December 27th, 2014 12:00

So it is not possible, with information from the crash dumps, to determine what driver is causing the problem? Someone earlier had asked me to post information about the crashes.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

Posting more and more crash dumps won't help you solve the problem.

Have you tried Safe Mode like I suggested?

Unless you actually DO SOMETHING, you're never going to fix this...

20 Posts

And another crash. Not browsing the internet this time.

On Sat 12/27/2014 8:13:11 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122714-11265-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x150AA0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF80387ED06B8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80397C49D54)

On Sat 12/27/2014 8:13:11 PM GMT your computer crashed
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF80387ED06B8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80397C49D54)

20 Posts

December 27th, 2014 15:00

It doesn't appear to crash in safe mode, but it's hard to tell. Sometimes it takes several hours before it crashes. Although the computer itself isn't crashing, Internet Explorer crashes constantly when I visit most of the web pages I like, such as yahoo news, SFGate, etc

20 Posts

December 27th, 2014 18:00

I was running the desktop (not metro) version of Internet Explorer 11. I do not think Internet Explorer (or add-on) is at fault because I normally run Chrome. Chrome was crashing, so I just switched to IE as an experiment. It crashed just as often. Firefox also crashes. the choice of browser doesn't seem to make any difference. It does crash when not browsing too, just not nearly as often. I think it is some low-level service and/or driver.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

December 27th, 2014 18:00

Most of the crash dumps say: "...or might be caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. "

So, no, it's not possible to ID the problem driver from the dumps. BTW: did you try any of those problem sites after booting in Safe Mode? And do you get error message (BSOD), a freeze or an unexpected reboot?

What version of IE are you using? And are you using the "traditional desktop" version or the "Metro desktop" version in Win 8.1?

Depending on which version of IE you're using, reboot and open IE. Click either Tools>Internet Options (traditional) or click the Tools (wrench) icon (Metro).

In traditional version, on General tab, look for Browsing History and click Delete button. On next screen uncheck the first item and check all the others. Then click Delete. When it's finished deleting, exit IE and reboot. In Metro desktop version, click Options on the Tools (wrench) menu and delete everything without preserving favorite site data. Then reboot and go to whichever sites crash the most and see if the problem is solved.

If that doesn't help, reboot and open traditional IE. At your home page, click Tools>Manage add ons. On the window that opens look for the "Show" option (IE11). Change it to "All". Now right-click and DISABLE every single add on. When you're done, reboot and test the sites that crash.

If disabling add ons fixes the problem. You can re-enable them one or a few at a time until you find the one that's causing the crashes and disable it again. If you really need that add on, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall it.

No Events found!