Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

July 25th, 2013 22:00

XPS 8700 no sound needs motherboard

I received this computer on 7/24 and this evening when getting it set up I realized that the speakers were not getting sound. The tech chat guy had me check the headphone connection on top of the tower and that worked but the ports on the rear of the system did not work. Dell is replacing the motherboard. Common occurrence?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

July 25th, 2013 23:00

Hi  dperry112,

I am sorry for the inconvenience.  However this is not a common occurrence.  It is a rare issue. Private message me your system tag or the dispatch #, I will track the dispatch status and keep you informed. Click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

108 Posts

July 28th, 2013 09:00

I looked at the system in more detail and realized that there is a separate audio card in addition to the motherboard audio connectors. When I plugged the speaker cable into the separate card, the sound worked fine.  So if you can cancel the motherboard replacement I would appreciate it.

1 Message

August 9th, 2013 19:00

Hi, I just finished setting up my XPS 8700, and realize when I connect my speaker to the back of the desktop, it doesn't has any sound at all, but if I connect to the speaker to the headset hole on the top of the system, sound came out fine, please help. 

Soukaizan

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

August 12th, 2013 02:00

Hi Soukaizan,

Please check if you have connected the speakers to the green port at the back of the computer.

Reply with the status.

3 Posts

August 14th, 2013 20:00

I have the exact same problem...xps 8700, windows 8; front jack works fine, rear jack doesn't work at all (green jack).  When I select the asus VE278-1 Nvidia high definition audio option, the sound will play from the rear jack but it will not detect my subwoofer.  I am using logitech Z323 speaker system.  Very frustrating!  Please help.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

August 19th, 2013 01:00

Hi dhadj,

When you connect the speakers to the rear port please enable it in the NVidia Sound application.  In case you are unable to perform this step, kindly provide the screen shot of the application to assist you further.

3 Posts

August 26th, 2013 19:00

I cannot enable the NVidia sound application; it freezes when attempt this.  Also, it seems that my computer does not even detect NVidia as seen by the screenshot below:

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

August 28th, 2013 02:00

Hi dhadj,

The screen posted is sound properties window. In the system tray, check if you see any icon with a music sign. Double click to open the application.

With regards to NVidia graphics not detected, I request you to check if it is listed in Device Manager under Display Adapter. Reply with the status to assist you further.

3 Posts

August 28th, 2013 10:00

Thank you for the info; my system tray does not have the icon with the music sign unfortunately.  How can I get this to appear?  

I have also checked within Device Manager under display adapter that Nvidia graphics card is detected and functioning properly.  

Thank you,

dhadj

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

August 30th, 2013 02:00

Hi dhadj ,

I recommend you to uninstall the Audio from the Device Manager and install the Realtek ALC3861 Audio driver once again from the support website. Click on the link below, enter the system service tag and click Submit. Select the Operating system from the drop down list to get drivers for your system model:

http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Let me know the status after the update.

2 Posts

October 6th, 2013 21:00

Hello Sujatha,

It may very well not be a common occurrence, but my recently purchased XPS 8700 has the exact same scenario.  My system says that its Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D PCle Audio Sound Card is connected to both the front (green) headphone audio jack and the rear (green) audio jack - but I can only get sound out of the front jack. 

My computer is under warranty.  What's the quickest, easiest way I can get this issue remedied? 

Regards,
james56.seattle

2 Posts

October 7th, 2013 19:00

Well I'll be darned - After a talk with Dell, It's all been taken care of.  As it turns out, for Dell XPS 8700 computers with Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D PCle Audio Sound Cards, there's the six audio jacks (two rows of three) at the back of the computer, with one of them being green, that we're all used to, and there's the one row of five, one of them being green, at the very bottom that I'd never even noticed - until now.  THOSE are the ones intended to be used.  Who Knew?  Thanks Dell, now it works!  

No Events found!