Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2015 06:00

XPS 8700 spurious device connect and disconnect sounds

From day one my new XPS 8700 would produce device connect and disconnect sounds by itself without my attaching any device -- quite annoying.  I thought it might be coming from the card readers that came with the desktop; I disabled these to no avail.  I tried looking at the event viewer but nothing is recorded at the time the connect and disconnect sounds are produced.  Anyone have any ideas on determining what the cause of these sounds is?

12 Posts

November 18th, 2015 13:00

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc. A11, 7/9/2015
SMBIOS Version: 2.7

My USB devices are a Logitech HD Webcam C260, a Logitech K330 wireless keyboard and a Logitech M215 wireless mouse (the last two uses one USB port).  The keyboard is problematic -- it loses keystrokes form time to time.

"Allow PC to turn off... " was not set for any USB device.
I just installed the latest chipset drivers, so we shall see if that has a positive effect.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 18th, 2015 13:00

Version of Windows?

Version of BIOS?

Do you have the latest chipset drivers?

What USB devices are connected?

Look on Power Management tabs for each USB root hub in Device Manager, and make sure box "Allow PC to turn off..." is not checked.

12 Posts

November 19th, 2015 10:00

Thanks.  I have disabled USB Selective Suspend.  BTW, no device had "Allow PC to turn off ..." checked -- moreover, none even had the check box enabled.

I never had this issue with my previous XPS Windows 7 system.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 19th, 2015 10:00

Now go into Device Manager again and expand list under Human Interface Devices (HID). Look at each entry for a Power Management tab, and uncheck that box "Allow PC to turn off..." there too.

Then go to the Win 7 Power Options screen. Open your Power Plan and click the Advanced Options link.

Look for USB settings in the list and disable USB Selective Suspend.

Reboot when that's all done and see if the problem has been fixed.

371 Posts

November 19th, 2015 11:00

If that doesn't do the trick, and since you say your keyboard loses strokes from time to time I'd be suspect of the Logitech "unifying receiver." (the little USB dongle that Came with the keyboard/mouse)

If you bought the keyboard and mouse separately you should have a spare. Might be in the battery compartment of one device or the other.

I had one of those go bad once and it produced symptoms just as you've described.

If you do swap out receivers remember that after doing so you'll have to go into the Logitech Unifying Software to pair the devices with the new receiver. You'll want to open it (the Unifying Software) before you switch receivers as you'll have no keyboard/mouse till they're paired.

12 Posts

December 1st, 2015 05:00

Well, I went several days without any of the connect/disconnect sounds, but in the end it did not do the trick.

The keyboard/mouse was purchased as a package and only came with the one USB dongle.  I have a non-wireless mouse and keyboard and am thinking of using that.  If nothing else, it will probably help with my lost keystrokes issue and will save on batteries.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 1st, 2015 11:00

At least try the wired mouse/keyboard for a while to see if the USB problem goes away.

If it does, then you can consider either sticking with being wired or buying yourself a new wireless mouse/keyboard.

12 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 09:00

I hooked up a Dell wired mouse and keyboard yesterday and just now heard the infamous "connect" sound coming from God knows where.  So the problem is not the wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse combo.  I have tried every recommendation and I now surrender.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 10:00

I now surrender

Sounds like you could use a or 3...

First, go here to download / install the 3 latest chipset drivers. Manually set a system restore point before installing them and reboot afterwards.

Then you have to consider it's Win 7 itself or maybe Bluetooth. Your last post jogged my RAM about random USB connect/disconnect sounds having been an issue with Win 7 since the beginning of time.

When I upgraded this PC from XP to Win 7 (clean install on new HDD), I was having the same problem. Don't remember what / anything I did to fix it but it eventually stopped. I do know a fluorescent desk lamp on the same circuit will occasionally cause the USB disconnect sound.

If you Google around you'll find lots of posts about this Win 7 problem with various recommendations, eg here. The USBDeview app mentioned in that thread is here.

And go  back into Device Manager and look for Power Management tabs for Ethernet, WiFi and BT and uncheck "Allow PC to turn off..." if it's checked now.

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 11:00

I have the same issue on my XPS 8700. When I plug my phone or gps in it connects/disconnects about every 30 seconds.

For the record I'm using the factory installed Windows 8...

12 Posts

If you look back to previous replies you will see that I have already installed the latest chipset and "Allow PC to turn off" is already unchecked.  I did, however, install USBDeview (very nice).  I wish I knew about this sooner; I had in vein tried to look for these type of events using Events Viewer.  Anyway, it would appear that the last connect was done from a Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader.  My unit came with 4 card readers installed as drives E, u c k ***, G and e l l *** showing up in Devices and Printers.  Stranger yet is that I had once upon a time suspected these might be the culprits and disabled them to the extent that the drive letters that they took up even went away -- yet I still would hear the connect/disconnect noises -- so I re-enabled the devices.  But this particular Card Reader does not have a device drive assigned.  Moreover, the driver version shown by USBdeview does not match the driver version of the driver associated with any of the 4 card readers that show up under Devices and Printers.  So I opened up the Device Manager and found this USB device.  When I disabled it, all 4 card readers (drives E, u c k ***, G and e l l ***) then disappeared.  I suppose that's how I should have disabled the 4 card readers originally.  Let's see now if the sounds disappear.  Of course, I now have no functioning card readers, so this not a real fix.  I have also updated the driver for this device.  If the sounds do go away, I might try re-enabling with the new driver.

12 Posts

The drive letters above should be the letter "E" followed by the next 3 sequential letters.  But Dell thinks I am trying to curse.  Ridiculous that a single letter should be turned into a curse word with that letter removed.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 13:00

Stupid automated censor software!  Obvious why it doesn't like that single letter but you'd be surprised at some of the ordinary words it filters out.

You didn't mention installing the latest USB3 driver so that's why I mentioned them.

Your reader appears to be assigning a drive letter for each type of card it can read. It's not 4 separate readers.

Check to see if the card reader entry has a Power Management tab in Device Manager and look for that pesky box again...

You probably will want to set a system restore point and uninstall the card reader in Device Manager. Then reboot and install the latest Win 7 driver and keep you fingers x'd!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 13:00

I have the same issue on my XPS 8700. When I plug my phone or gps in it connects/disconnects about every 30 seconds.

For the record I'm using the factory installed Windows 8...

External devices are different. Your devices may be trying to draw too much power from the USB root hub. So they connect, the power drops, and they disconnect.

USB3 ports provide more power than USB2, so try connecting power hungry devices to USB3 ports, even if they're not USB3 devices. And/or disconnect (or power off) all non-essential USB devices (eg, printers) before connecting the phone or GPS.

And rear USB ports provide more power than front/top ports too.

Some USB devices need a USB Y-cable that connects the device to 2 USB ports on the PC so they can get enough power. My USB2 Seagate HDD connects / disconnects endlessly unless I use a Y-cable.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 14:00

That means it's a "4-in-1" card reader. One single reader with slots for 4 different types of cards. There aren't 4 separate readers, all separately connected to internal USB ports on the motherboard.

If there's a driver software issue with the card reader, uninstalling it in DM and then reinstalling it might fix the problem so the reader isn't connecting / disconnecting constantly. Set a restore point before uninstalling it, to be safe.

And just for the record, you did update all 3 drivers listed under Chipset on the Support page..?

No Events found!