Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2014 22:00

XPS 8700 with S2340T touch screen - on Skype web cam is sending mirrored image

I have a new XPS 8700 with Windows 8.1 Update 1. All drivers are up-to-date. When I use the S2340T monitor web cam to conduct a Skype call, things look good on my side of the call. I see the person on the other end correctly and my image in the lower right corner (picture in picture PiP) is correct, too. However, the person on the other end is seeing a mirror image of what I see in the PiP. If I hold up a calendar to the camera, the letters are mirrored ("April" becomes "lirpA" with the letters oriented in the opposite direction). I have done some searching and found one suggestion concerning NVideo video settings interfering wit the camera, but I have a Radeon video driver and there doesn't seem to be any options in the Radeon control panel that would help. Sometimes the situation is livable, but often it is disconcerting for the person on the other end. I'd be grateful for any and all suggestions. Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 19th, 2014 06:00

Hi Geoff,

There is a setting in Skype that allows you to project a mirrored image. Find that and change it.

4 Posts

April 19th, 2014 17:00

Osprey, Many thanks for the reply. I am using the Skype App and there is no such mirror setting. As well, this is a broader issue as it does not just affect Skype, but also the Camera App. I suspect it would be the same for any program trying to use the web cam. Thank you for taking the time to reply. If you have any other suggestions, they are welcome.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 20th, 2014 04:00

Let me install Skype on my Win 8 machine and play around with it.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 20th, 2014 06:00

Well, good news and bad news. The good news is that my integrated webcam does that same thing in the Skype app and also in the camera app. I see a mirror image of myself and background. The bad news is that this is built into Windows 8.1 by design, and there is no way I can find to change it.

However, other Skype users report that the other end of your video call will see the image correctly, not mirrored. But let me know if that is not the case.

4 Posts

April 20th, 2014 14:00

Osprey, In my case, the people at the other end are also seen the mirror image. The Skype postings I was able to find suggested things like video cards settings, like I mentioned in my original post, but I don't have anything like that in the Radeon control panel program. This is not a Windows 8.1 issue since I'm the only person in my circle of contacts having this problem. This is quite specific to either the hardware or drivers or something like that. My parents, for instance, have Dell computers that have Windows 8.1 and they don't have this problem. Thank you again for all your time and trouble. -- Geoff Wass

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 20th, 2014 18:00

Sorry, Geoff. No idea.

4 Posts

April 21st, 2014 17:00

Osprey, I'm a bit tied up right now to work on this, but I do want to get it solved eventually. If I solve it, I will post back here. If you think of anything, let me know. Thank for your help so far. -- Geoff Wass

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 14:00

Same issue for me. I have a DELL 2340T and a surface pro 2. Application believes that the cam is a back one but it is a front one.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 16:00

Geoff, yes, I'd be interested to hear if you can resolve it.

And I saw someone remark about the forward versus rear-facing camera. But honestly, why would it make any difference? Both cameras on my phone project a correct, not mirror, image. No reason PCs shouldn't work the same way.

No Events found!