Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2015 09:00

XPS 8900 BSOD's out of box. Exchanged XPS 8900 does the same thing.

RESOLVED! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main fix: Disable this driver: bcmwl664.sys (Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter wireless driver, Broadcom Corporation)

This can be done by finding and disabling the wi fi card in the Device Manager - find the WIRELESS driver - not the regular network driver, under Network Adapters, right click, and select "Disable".

If you've already begun to reinstall Windows out of frustration, or in a last ditch effort to save yourself the trouble of another return (like I did), make sure to NOT install the Broadcom Wireless driver from Dell's site. Otherwise, you'll be back where you started.

User dbark has also found another issue, slightly OT but it might help some of you - on his 8900 file explorer won't open when left-clicking from the task bar. Screen flashes, icons reload and wallpaper changes (slideshow mode is on). Right-clicking and selecting a folder works. Right-clicking on a file or desktop icon crashes.

He read that a shell extension was the likely culprit and using ShellExView he was able to ID NVIDIA's "OpenGLShExt Class" (file nv3dappshext.dll) to be the cause by process of elimination. We're still working through the fix there, details on page 7.

Original post below. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posting my story here so that I'm using all available channels. Also, the three reps I'd been working with over email have gone dark since I mentioned the word "refund". So I thought maybe I could find some help here. I'm spending my last shreds of hope here, before all becomes darkness.

I ordered an XPS 8900 system on 10/15, and received it on 10/27. Within a couple hours of powering on the system, I got a BSOD that said "UNCORRECTABLE HARDWARE ERROR". I'm somewhat computer saavy but I had never seen this BSOD before. After using my other older computer (also a Dell - still works great) to research the issue, I determined that I did not have the skills to diagnose or fix whatever this might be (most resources said power supply issues, bad RAM). I did see that a RAM clamp was not fastened tightly, so I clamped it in. But no dice.

I called Dell and started the age old customer service tradition of, did I try restarting, yes I did. Yes, I tried restarting. Overall my experience was OK. Mostly I feel like there's one guy in any group of phone reps who actually knows stuff about these machines, and everyone asks him what to do. That's my theory, because after each answer I gave, I was placed on hold for several minutes. In the end, the decision was made to try a new motherboard. The conversation moved to email and a Dell authorized tech was scheduled to come out and install the board. 

On 11/2 the new board was installed, but the computer would not boot at all now. Before, it went to Windows but BSOD'd after anywhere from 30 min to 2 hrs. Never more than 2 hrs. The Dell tech spoke with customer care from my home and more parts were ordered - a cable and hard drive. A 2nd visit was scheduled for 11/5, after which the computer was still not functional. That same day I heard from a sales rep who asked if I wanted an exchange, to which I replied, yes, I would like an exchange.

The new computer arrived 11/17 and I sent back the broken one. I ran through Windows first time set up. As I prepared dinner, I started installing my programs and getting other stuff set up. Holding a pan of simmering taco meat (I use ground turkey, try it - it's great), something caught my eye in the periphery. I set down the pan and saw that the screen had changed to the BSOD. It said: UNCORRECTABLE HARDWARE ERROR. Yes, the new computer gave me exactly the same error.

Quick aside -  last night, 11/18 I received an email from the original rep asking if I ever got that hard drive and cable.

So here's the sequence of events that took place:

1. Original BSOD - UNRECOVERABLE HARDWARE ERROR on 10/27
2. First visit from Dell technician to install new motherboard (did not resolve issue) - 11/2
3. Second visit by Dell tech to install cable and new hard drive (did not resolve issue) - 11/5
4. Same day, heard from Sales rep regarding exchange 11/5. I replied I wanted to go ahead and exchange
5. Sales rep initiates exchange and new computer goes into production - 11/6
6. Receive new computer and pack up/send back nonfunctional one - 11/17
7. New computer is unpacked - 11/17 6:00pm
8. New computer gives same BSOD UNCORRECTABLE HARDWARE ERROR, 11/17 6:27pm while software is installing

And here are the steps to repro the BSOD on my system. Remember - this is right out of the shipping box.

1. Hook up my monitors, keyboard/mouse, network cable and the power cable provided
2. Windows 7 Pro first time setup
3. Install Google Chrome
4. Log into Autodesk account, download Maya installer
5. Begin Maya installation - never finished, BSOD

I have written back to the sales rep and the original rep requesting that we start the refund procedure. Normally the original rep would get back to me pretty quick, but not this time. And I asked the sales rep about a refund about two days ago now with no response. What are my other options at this point? My situation is this: I have spent a lot of money on something which does not work. What can I do about this?

105 Posts

December 14th, 2015 06:00

First off; everything is still working great on the new 8900. Very happy with the speed.

The one issue that's popped up; file explorer won't open when left-clicking from the task bar. Screen flashes, icons reload and wallpaper changes (slideshow mode is on). Right-clicking and selecting a folder works. Right-clicking on a file or desktop icon crashes.

I read that a shell extension was the likely culprit and using ShellExView was able to ID NVIDIA's "OpenGLShExt Class" (file nv3dappshext.dll) to be the cause by process of elimination. I'm able to re-enable it and it appears to work okay for a minute or two and then the problem returns.

I know this is a bit OT but it's the same machine with likely the same dlls, so I wanted to pass it on to you, Thurston.

Have you modified any settings for Quick Access/This PC?  If so, go to File Explorer Options and set Open File Explorer to: This PC.  Select OK and see if that resolves the issue.  If it doesn't, reboot and verify.

If you're utilizing Integrated Graphics, the context menu option for Nvidia's graphics has been known for years to cause issues.  If this is the sole cause, you'll need to disable the context menu options for Nvidia.  This will cause them not to appear when running on integrated graphics, but they should still be able to load when running discrete graphics.

December 14th, 2015 08:00

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't encountered this one yet but this is good to know. I'll add this to the OP with the other fix.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

December 14th, 2015 08:00

If you do not have TH2, Build 1511, try it. It seems to be more driver friendly. By

December 14th, 2015 09:00

dbark, JW, when you get a chance, could you take a look at the updated OP and make sure I am giving out proper instructions? Would not want to spread misinformation. Thanks.

8 Posts

December 15th, 2015 06:00

Have you modified any settings for Quick Access/This PC?  If so, go to File Explorer Options and set Open File Explorer to: This PC.  Select OK and see if that resolves the issue.  If it doesn't, reboot and verify.

If you're utilizing Integrated Graphics, the context menu option for Nvidia's graphics has been known for years to cause issues.  If this is the sole cause, you'll need to disable the context menu options for Nvidia.  This will cause them not to appear when running on integrated graphics, but they should still be able to load when running discrete graphics.

Not that I know of, but a program could have done something. All seems well without any lack of performance, so I think I'll just leave the nv3dappshext.dll disabled, as it appears to be a common cause of this problem on other machines.
Now I'm playing with Cortana... :)

8 Posts

December 15th, 2015 06:00

The only thing I would add is that updating the specific driver will likely work too. After I had success with disabling first, then I updated it (by requesting windows go out and look for an update), re-enabled and I've been okay ever since.

No Events found!