Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 4th, 2016 11:00

XPS 8900 Desktop PCIe shut down issue

I am trying to add 2 small PCIe cards to the XPS 8900 running WIndows 10.  One is for IEEE1394 Firewire support the other for additional USB ports because the front paneI for the Firewire also has USB ports, so might as well use them.

My issue is that when I install these 2 PCIe cards and plug a power cable between one of the spare SATA cables & the PCIe cards every time I try to Shut Down in Windows 10 the system Restarts instead !!

VERY irritating!!  In nearly 50 years playing with computers I've come across a great many that refuse to start when you want them to but not very many that refuse to shut down !!

(I have checked in Device Manager and none of the devices are set to wake the computer)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

7 Posts

September 10th, 2016 05:00

Thanks Dan-H.

I was reluctant to try this after having spent 2 days to eventually get the system disc transferred, and working properly onto an SSD and not being sure how that might be effected.

However, the problem does now seem to have been resolved!

Both the PCIe cards I was working on said that under Windows 10 no additional drivers were required, Windows would take care of this fine - WRONG!

Eventually from Device Manager I noted the drivers in use & then uninstalled the drivers for the new cards.  Then ran the drivers supplied from the manufacturer & rebooted the system.  Rechecked Device Manager which showed exactly the same drivers installed after rebooting.

But - then when I shut down it all worked normally and has done for the last couple of days!  So presumably the manufacturers drivers have done something to the WIndows drivers.  Or maybe even something to the cards themselves?

1.2K Posts

September 4th, 2016 12:00

I have one suggestion, to reset CMOS.

With the system powered down, and unplugged from wall power, remove the motherboard battery, wait half a minute, then with the system still unplugged from wall power press and hold the power button.

Reinstall battery, plug in and see if the condition continues.

It may do nothing but it might just work, and there is no harm except for having to reset your clock.

No Events found!