Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2016 16:00

XPS 8900 M.2 socket

I have done much reading on this and other forums. I am afraid I am left with more questions than answers, I would like to install SSD in my m.2 slot. I understand that it is only a 1 lane slot. I understand that I can install a NVMe in a PCIe adapter card and get some whiz-bang performance. At this point, I do not want to spend the extra $ for the NVMe Samsung 950 pro but I would like to use the M.2 slot. So what can I put in there?

I see many reports of the Samsung 850 EVO SSD being successfully used, but many of these reports do not specify what form factor is used. Then there is the guy who said you can't use B slotted sticks in the M slotted socket. The Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD has an M and B slot. Many say they did successfully.So here I am scratching my head still wondering what to buy that will work in my M.2 socket. I plan to use this SSD as a boot drive and will have data stored on a spinner. I will make my questions very specific:

Has anyone successfully installed the Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E500BW) in their XPS 8900 M.2 socket?

What other types of M.2 boards have others successfully installed and used?

3 Posts

December 6th, 2017 16:00

M.2 Specs for XPS8900:

This M.2 Slot is PCIE 3.0 based x1 lane (800Mb/s)[M.2 PCIe is "UP TO" x4 lanes][this is a hardware limitation not software]

M Key (This supports PCI-e as well as SATA)[this is clearly noted in wikipedia, as opposed to what SpeedStep's religion wants you to believe]

2280mm length

-If using with 950(M key) in the m.2 slot, you'll get 800Mb/s only as it is bottlenecked by the x1 lane speeds

-Using it with 850(M+B key) in the m.2 slot will get you 600Mb/s as it is a SATAIII interface.

-You cant slot a normal B keyed drive in the M keyed slot as it doesn't even fit

Both bootable.

Do you agree ?

3 Posts

December 6th, 2017 16:00

M.2 Specs for XPS8900:

This M.2 Slot is PCIE 3.0 based x1 lane (800Mb/s)[M.2 PCIe is "UP TO" x4 lanes][this is a hardware limitation not software]

M Key (This supports PCI-e as well as SATA)[this is clearly noted in wikipedia, as opposed to what SpeedStep's religion wants you to believe]

2280mm length

-If using with 950(M key) in the m.2 slot, you'll get 800Mb/s only as it is bottlenecked by the x1 lane speeds

-Using it with 850(M+B key) in the m.2 slot will get you 600Mb/s as it is a SATAIII interface.

-You cant slot a normal B keyed drive in the M keyed slot as it doesn't even fit

Both bootable.

27 Posts

December 8th, 2017 22:00

I have the Samsung model: MZ-N5E250

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-N5E250BW-specs/ 

Will it work in the 8900? Using it with 850(M+B key) in the m.2 slot will get you 600Mb/s as it is a SATAIII interface. Gotcha 

No Events found!