Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2016 15:00

XPS 8900 - silence or noise?

Hello everyone.

Should I replace my old Vostro 460 with the new XPS8900.

In addition to the performance the new computer should be mostly silent, as much as the Vostro 460 is really silent.

I would therefore like to know if the XPS is a very silent machine or if I should opt for some other model.

Thank you very much, Anghelu.

1.2K Posts

October 1st, 2016 12:00

I don't have an 8900, but we have a few 8700s and a couple of 8500s and they are the same case and same fans, and overall they are fairly quiet in my opinion.

They are quiet, but not silent. The noisemakers are: (in no particular order)

1) power supply fan

2) rear case fan

3) CPU fan

4) hard drive

5) graphics card fan

If the system is on the floor, under a desk the noise is barely noticeable.

That said, I've replaced PSUs for the two 8700s to support gaming graphics cards, and the gaming cards are much quieter than the GT 635 graphics card with the tiny fan. Depending on the card in the 8900 the fan on the graphics card might be the loudest part.

I think the PSU fan is next loudest, and the PSU has also been replaced.

I've also replaced the rear case fans with Noctua fans and they not only move more air, they are quieter than the stock fan.

The CPU heatsink fan is not loud, but it is not silent.

HDDs you can barely hear, but the sound is there.

I'm not including the optical drive because they are noisy when used no matter what.

732 Posts

October 1st, 2016 16:00

My 8500 is pretty quiet and I am sure the 8900 is the same, it's pretty much the same which is why I haven't upgraded. No need for win 10 either. Mine is 2 feet from my head and it sounds like a distant rumbling of small ocean waves.

41 Posts

October 2nd, 2016 09:00

The 8900 is far from silent.  Quiet, yes, but less so than my previous computers from Dell.  For me the main offender is the stock CPU cooler.  I just upgraded mine and it's now a lot quieter, and my CPU temps are 15C cooler.  Especially when the machine is at full load - it's now whisper quiet whereas before the CPU fan would spin up and make quite a bit of racket.

1.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2016 12:00

@JarrodSmith Thanks for the Video !

53 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 00:00

I got my hands yesterday on a Vostro 460 with a dead hard drive (free!!). I opened it up and looked to see what it has and I was happy that the Vostro 460 will be a nice recipient of all the things I took out from the xps 8900 before I did the 980ti upgrade. One thing I noticed is that the Vostro 460 is dead silent. The only thing I hear is the clicking noise of the dead hard drive. I placed a new samsung evo 850 SSD on it and I did not know it is turned on if not for the blue light on the power (PC is 2 feet away from my ear and placed on top of the desk).

The following XPS-8900 parts went inside the Vostro 460:

1. 460w PSU

2. Stock 750ti

I also replaced the 4 gig ram that the PC has with 4pcs of DDR3 ram (total of 16 gig) I have in my drawer. Loaded windows 10 and all my software that I have on the upgraded XPS-8900 and I would say that if I want to do light to medium work with not to heavy graphic extensive gaming the Vostro 460 is pretty good not to mention dead silent. I would say my upgraded XPS-8900 has a noise of a idle sports car and when the GPU hits 65° it roars like a lamborghini. The Vostro 460 on the other hand sounds like a car that is turned off while running. Even the stock XPS-8900 won't be as quiet as the Vostro 460 and that might be a turn-off from you already.

I just got thinking. The Vostro 460 has dual core 3.2ghz  i5 which should be good enough for a regular joe who runs MS office and internet and occasional gaming. If you are that type of user why don't you just buy parts that will only cost you $200-300 and have a quiet machine that will be good for another 3-4 years.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_3

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_5

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_2

53 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 00:00

Here is another perspective of upgrading your Vostro 460

www.youtube.com/watch

1 Message

October 3rd, 2016 05:00

If the system is on the floor, under a desk the noise is barely noticeable.

No Events found!